Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So you have no problem with forcing people to sell their land for your convenience? Land that may have been in their families and being used for generations? For your convenience?
So respectfully speaking here.

I understand how it feels intrusive ontop of the aspect of how many foreign people (not from Texas) are moving here and reshaping the state driving natives away from their cities and away from their property so I get how that seems offending. My intent is not to move anyone from their property for my personal benefit but more so try to prevent a major issue from incurring before it's too late. The loss of property (with fair compensation) however unfortunately is a byproduct of certain infrastructural improvements.

My worry is as these cities grow, if nothing else is done about the transportation infrastructure we're going to find ourselves tied to a huge mess which neither natives or foreigners will be able to deal with. I-35 services several medium to large cities in Texas alone. It can still use work in certain areas (especially Austin) but it's still going to eventually become a bottleneck regardless of how much we throw into it. I just dont think 1 road is enough for everything I-35 is predicted to handle in the future if Austin and San Antonio were to double in size in the next 20 years (they say per trend Austin does and San Antonio is growing just as fast as Austin is)

We could prioritize rail as well, HSR but that is very expensive and will likely not pass on a tax approach...or I should say I'd be kind of surprised if it did. Even still though it wouldn't be effective at all for freight traffic and only mildly effective for commuter traffic.

Atlanta did the same thing by protecting the Blue Ridge region in the far rural northern suburbs (by not building an outer perimeter like seen in Houston) and certain freeways that should have been built were killed by political opposition and property rights (which I personally believe are far more stringent there than they are here but not 100% sure on this) and even within the city proper and local suburbs. It has ranked up to the 8th most congested city in the world for a period (surpassing even Paris, although it currently dropped down to 11th) as 80% of freight and interstate traffic in the southeast is diverted through it without any feasible way to bypass it. Needless to say the quality of life there is plunging and now they 'can't' do anything about it.

This isnt to say another toll road will absolutely save the region but more so worried about what happens if we 'don't' build something that very well may be necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin