Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 PM

21 posts, read 87,652 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving to Austin in the near future and absolutely loved Lakeway. However, we'll be commuting to Downtown daily. How bad is the commute? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:15 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc123 View Post
Hi! We are moving to Austin in the near future and absolutely loved Lakeway. However, we'll be commuting to Downtown daily. How bad is the commute? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Well, "bad" is subjective, and also relative to what sort of commute you're use to. Your drive will be about 20 miles each way between Lakeway and downtown Austin if you come down 620 to 71 or Bee Caves. It will be about 30 miles if you go north on 620 and come into Austin on 2222 to Mopac.

Either way, it only take one wreck to back things up pretty bad and you don't have alternate routes around traffic logjams because of the way the roads are designed.

I'm sure a lot of people make the commute. I think I'd pass unless there we compelling reasons to be in Lakeway, such as the schools or a desired lake lifestyle. The real estate market in Lakeway is pretty soft right now, especially over $500K, so you might be able to find a good deal on a nice house.

Welcome to Austin

Steve

Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM

80 posts, read 345,182 times
Default What time of day?

If I am going downtown, I take FM 620 to 71, hop on to Southwest pkwy, then to Mopac. That beats all the lights on 2244 and the traffic on the intersection of 2244 and 360.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_momma View Post
If I am going downtown, I take FM 620 to 71, hop on to Southwest pkwy, then to Mopac. That beats all the lights on 2244 and the traffic on the intersection of 2244 and 360.
The times are going to downtown at 9:00 am and returning at around 7:00 pm.
Approximately how long would it take?

Also, is the commute worth it? We are interested in Lakeway because of the schools (#1) and scenery.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 PM

117 posts, read 536,750 times
We moved to Lakeway last June and love it!!!

I'm downtown about twice a week(usually about 30 minutes or less), at the airport at least 4 times a month(35 minutes almost every time).

I love all of Austin but coming home to Lakeway is the best part.
Fantastic schools, teachers, neighbors, kids sports, recreation opportunities and the scenery makes it feel like we're on vacation.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:00 PM

80 posts, read 345,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc123 View Post
The times are going to downtown at 9:00 am and returning at around 7:00 pm.
Approximately how long would it take?

Also, is the commute worth it? We are interested in Lakeway because of the schools (#1) and scenery.
My husband commutes from Lakeway to Mopac and 2244. He needs to be at work between 8:30 and 9 and it takes him about 30 minutes. The worse part is around the 2244 and 360 intersection. Traffic in the afternoon starts about 4:30 and probably alot lighter at 7 pm.
It is soooo worth it! The hill country views are great, the school district is worth it, etc. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 PM

31 posts, read 116,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_momma View Post
It is soooo worth it! The hill country views are great, the school district is worth it, etc. Good luck!
Wow, I really enjoyed reading these positive posts regarding Lakeway. We will be closing on a home in the end of May in the "Ridge of Alta Vista" neighborhood (not sure if that's technically considered Lakeway or not) and reading these posts gave me a nice secure feeling . We chose this area for the exact same reasons: Schools, scenery, secure investment, and a close demographic resemblance of where we live now; security in the familiar.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Seems the commute is not that bad after all! Whew! Hopefully, we'll be able to find a house here since we LOVED Lakeway!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 AM

45 posts, read 172,709 times
Red face Alta Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Pinafore View Post
Wow, I really enjoyed reading these positive posts regarding Lakeway. We will be closing on a home in the end of May in the "Ridge of Alta Vista" neighborhood (not sure if that's technically considered Lakeway or not) and reading these posts gave me a nice secure feeling . We chose this area for the exact same reasons: Schools, scenery, secure investment, and a close demographic resemblance of where we live now; security in the familiar.
Just so you know the ridge at alta vista is part of Lakeway so make sure you check out the parks and greenbelts that are available to you--i think there are at least 4 greenbelts and 2 or 3 parks (my favorite is the one on lake travis off hurst creek). 4 golf courses, huge tennis center, swim center with skate park and lakeway marina, etc. Of course you have the pool, a couple of tennis courts and fitness center in your section at Alta Vista but there is a lot more on the other side of rr620. Every summer they have fireworks over the water and activies at the park for the whole family. Last summer they had live music at Lakeway Inn out by the pools and it was a mob scene. I use to drive to airport early in the morning at least once a week and i loved seeing the sunrise over the hills and i was energized for the rest of the day. I have lived in lakeway since 1993 and i feel very lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin