Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 02:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locali View Post
Right? That’d be a total bummer! That’s why I’m inquiring now. That’d be terribly risky to move to another city or state without a job in place. And yes, some of the detailed and straight up honest responses were really helpful. Thanks Austin! I do hear your city and people are super lovely!
Come and visit but go home after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 02:27 PM

78 posts, read 63,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Houston, DFW and San Antonio are also desirable cities in our state.
That’s good to know! Thanks so much for bringing that up. I’m so intrigued by Texas. I’d consider it, but from some comments here, it sounds like there is some hostility toward Californians (especially special Ed teachers from San Francisco ... and our bleeding hearts lol one of my favorite comments ever. But really, I think teaching religion in schools (I’d never considered that) and if it’s true about teachers carrying guns (Did I read that wrong?) would be a an adjustment that I’d be uncomfortable with.

I have heard San Antonio is an incredible city. Haven’t heard as much about Dallas. Texas in general sounds like a really fun place. Definitely would love to visit. Maybe not the right place for me as an educator though, if I’m to go by the comments here.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:38 PM

[quote=ashbeeigh;56857409]Come and visit but go home after. [/QUOT.

I’m sure you make newcomers feel extremely welcome lol
Are there such bad feelings toward people from out of state? Or is it just Californians?

Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
[quote=Locali;56857609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Come and visit but go home after. [/QUOT.

I’m sure you make newcomers feel extremely welcome lol
Are there such bad feelings toward people from out of state? Or is it just Californians?
To be quite honest, the hate is towards Californians, but the majority of migration to Austin is from other Texas cities (myself included).

Old 12-13-2019, 04:14 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
The hate toward Californians is pretty much limited to internet forums.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:18 PM

Haha! Good to know! In reverse, we love you guys... and Austin especially is universally loved. Never heard a bad word.

I get it though. We move in with our California ways and probably try to change things and impose our views. That’s why this thread has been helpful. I’d have a tough time in Texas after reading some comments here. I’ll stick to visiting as was suggested.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,149 times
Quote:
Haha! Good to know! In reverse, we love you guys... and Austin especially is universally loved. Never heard a bad word.

I get it though. We move in with our California ways and probably try to change things and impose our views. That’s why this thread has been helpful. I’d have a tough time in Texas after reading some comments here. I’ll stick to visiting as was suggested.
Liberal Californians should be happy with how they configured their state. Why move anywhere else?

Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 PM

743 posts, read 1,370,922 times
Locali, take what you read her with a grain of salt! Understandably a lot of people here are tired of growth, so there are a lot of anti-transplant posts, but IRL I find Austinites to be much more welcoming than they might seem on an anonymous forum.

My neighbor's daughter is a high school teacher, 4 years out of college, and recently purchased a older 2 BR condo off of south Lamar. Very central, great part of town. It's a modest place but conveniently located, very safe, and surrounded with shady oaks. She scrimped the first few years to be able to do this. But it CAN be done!

As for California bashing...this forum magnifies it, but I never see it in real life here. Most of the people I know in Austin were not born here but moved as adults. This is a city full of transplants and I've found people to be most welcoming. Don't let the discussion here scare you away. Come and spend some time here, meet people and decide for yourself. Austin isn't for everyone, but the only way to know for sure is to check it out.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Locali, take what you read her with a grain of salt! Understandably a lot of people here are tired of growth, so there are a lot of anti-transplant posts, but IRL I find Austinites to be much more welcoming than they might seem on an anonymous forum.

My neighbor's daughter is a high school teacher, 4 years out of college, and recently purchased a older 2 BR condo off of south Lamar. Very central, great part of town. It's a modest place but conveniently located, very safe, and surrounded with shady oaks. She scrimped the first few years to be able to do this. But it CAN be done!

As for California bashing...this forum magnifies it, but I never see it in real life here. Most of the people I know in Austin were not born here but moved as adults. This is a city full of transplants and I've found people to be most welcoming. Don't let the discussion here scare you away. Come and spend some time here, meet people and decide for yourself. Austin isn't for everyone, but the only way to know for sure is to check it out.
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! I know that Internet forums invite all types of behavior as people write anonymously behind the safety of a screen. I will of course be visiting Austin since I’ve heard so many great things about the city! Thanks again for reaching out!

Lo

Old 12-14-2019, 05:08 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,193 times
Quote:
But really, I think teaching religion in schools (I’d never considered that) and if it’s true about teachers carrying guns (Did I read that wrong?) would be a an adjustment that I’d be uncomfortable with.
We do NOT teach religion in school. Only private schools are allowed to do so. Public schools must follow state curriculum.

We do not all carry guns. There are a few (maybe 10-15?) school districts that allow trained teachers to conceal carry, but they tend to be rural.

And, fwiw, there are teachers in my school that have moved to Texas from California, Wisconsin, Oregon, etc. Teachers from Texas move to other states for various reasons (spouse job change, etc) as well. Not all Texans are god-fearin', gun-totin', ultra-conservative,.....whatever. We have people just like every other state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin