Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:13 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Meh.

I personally think some people need to take a trip to Georgia (especially Valdosta & Augusta), Alabama, Lousiana....your perception of Austin mosquitoes will be forever changed. Like, literally opening your car door and within 5 minutes you're covered in swarms of bites, working on your car? Bring repellent. Taking a jog? They'll be following you.

This place has nothing in terms of mosquitoes on it's worse day in comparison to even Atlanta on it's best day.
Dude, I got thirteen bites relatively quickly during a gardening session. I've been to Florida, which probably is just as bad as Georgia, and it's the same. I get bitten indoors and out and my friends received numerous bites just waiting for me to open the front door.

That's a stretch saying "this place has nothing in terms of mosquitoes ... "

Mosquitoes can breed in a tablespoon or less of water and this water can be found more often than you think. like A-TEX said if you live near a creek or any body of water (we have a reservoir and a creek nearby) additionally there are different species of mosquitoes and not all rely on standing water. lastly, lets not underestimate vegetation (hanging plants, gardens, etc.) In fact, vegetation and wooded lots host lots of mosquitoes because trees and plants provide shade, shelter, and food. Go shake a potted fern to see what I'm talking about. Also look at the plethora of mosquito control companies (none of which work, ugh).

Hot weather is actually just fine for skeeters, especially if you have anything providing shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 04:16 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Dude, I got thirteen bites relatively quickly during a gardening session. I've been to Florida, which probably is just as bad as Georgia, and it's the same. I get bitten indoors and out and my friends received numerous bites just waiting for me to open the front door.

Mosquitoes can breed in a tablespoon or less of water and this water can be found more often than you think. like A-TEX said if you live near a creek or any body of water (we have a reservoir and a creek nearby) additionally there are different species of mosquitoes and not all rely on standing water. lastly, lets not underestimate vegetation (hanging plants, gardens, etc.) In fact, vegetation and wooded lots host lots of mosquitoes because trees and plants provide shade, shelter, and food. Go shake a potted fern to see what I'm talking about. Also look at the plethora of mosquito control companies (none of which work, ugh).

Hot weather is actually just fine for skeeters, especially if you have anything providing shade.
Thats noted but in places like GA, FL, AL, LA and MS - You dont need to be near a creek, you just need to be outside just about anywhere and they are everywhere and unavoidable, especially after a rain. I've seen a few mosquitoes here but nothing on the quantity of those states. Its a bit drier here than it is in those states and the overall environment just isn't as favorable.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:54 AM

23 posts, read 19,725 times
I like the fact that the bad weather occurs when you can/should take vacation -- August. In fact, you can go north and enjoy places like Maine, Canada, Alaska, etc. When we lived in Chicago, summer months were the ONLY good weather ones, so you hesitated leaving.

As a gardener, I also like how you can grow things, like salad greens, all winter long here. Just picked a gorgeous bowlful for dinner last night.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Meh.

I personally think some people need to take a trip to Georgia (especially Valdosta & Augusta), Alabama, Lousiana....your perception of Austin mosquitoes will be forever changed. Like, literally opening your car door and within 5 minutes you're covered in swarms of bites, working on your car? Bring repellent. Taking a jog? They'll be following you.

This place has nothing in terms of mosquitoes on it's worse day in comparison to even Atlanta on it's best day.
Coming from South Louisiana, I agree. When I return to visit my 'rents in Louisiana they all have screened in porches because after 5PM you get eaten up if you go outside.

Here I'm routinely on my deck at night, unscreened, every day in the summer and I can count on my hands the number of insect bites which almost always occur after a rain.

This past summer, although brutally hot, dried everything out and there were zero mosquitoes in my backyard.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenryFour View Post
I like the fact that the bad weather occurs when you can/should take vacation -- August. In fact, you can go north and enjoy places like Maine, Canada, Alaska, etc. When we lived in Chicago, summer months were the ONLY good weather ones, so you hesitated leaving.

As a gardener, I also like how you can grow things, like salad greens, all winter long here. Just picked a gorgeous bowlful for dinner last night.

We used to regularly spin two weeks every August in the mountains in New Mexico. Not the Santa Fe side, the eastern side. Just drove over to Santa Fe to shop but spent the rest of the time with day temps in the 70's but we could have a fire in the fireplace at night. Perfection!

Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 AM

577 posts, read 456,959 times
I'm a native Dallasite and moved to Austin for 1.5 years. I found the city to be overhyped, but I don't regret living there for a little bit.

I enjoy Dallas, and I think, if I couldn't live in Dallas, Austin would be my second choice. The one thing that really soured my experience was the weird rivalry the city seems to have with Dallas. I get that everyone has their opinions, but it was just very strange to hear people talking about how much better they are than Dallas for no reason. It's something that really doesn't need to be said over and over. Austin's a fine city and they should really just enjoy themselves, rather than trying to convince everyone they are better, or that they are more weird, or more liberal, etc..

I think it's a fantastic city to visit and you'll have a blast for a weekend trip. When you live there, you realize cost of living will be more expensive than Dallas and Houston. Not only is it more expensive, but it lacks the public transportation, highway infrastructure, professional sports, large international airport, museums, and restaurant scene that Houston/Dallas have. You do have the benefit of nature, but if you're a nature lover, I'd say head to the PNW, California, or Colorado.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

We live with a creek running right through the property right in front of our house, surrounded by trees. It also has small fish in it (by small I mean bigger than minnow sized but not much) during some years, depending on the depth. We have horse tanks but we keep goldfish in them so no problem there.

We occasionally have some mosquitoes, but during dry times, none. During the summer, if it's a wet summer, they'll be a bit annoying in the evening, but by a bit annoying I mean a mosquito or two that are persistent. Now, I do go around and check for standing water and empty whatever it's in, but not religiously.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I'm a native Dallasite and moved to Austin for 1.5 years. I found the city to be overhyped, but I don't regret living there for a little bit.

I enjoy Dallas, and I think, if I couldn't live in Dallas, Austin would be my second choice. The one thing that really soured my experience was the weird rivalry the city seems to have with Dallas. I get that everyone has their opinions, but it was just very strange to hear people talking about how much better they are than Dallas for no reason. It's something that really doesn't need to be said over and over. Austin's a fine city and they should really just enjoy themselves, rather than trying to convince everyone they are better, or that they are more weird, or more liberal, etc..

I think it's a fantastic city to visit and you'll have a blast for a weekend trip. When you live there, you realize cost of living will be more expensive than Dallas and Houston. Not only is it more expensive, but it lacks the public transportation, highway infrastructure, professional sports, large international airport, museums, and restaurant scene that Houston/Dallas have. You do have the benefit of nature, but if you're a nature lover, I'd say head to the PNW, California, or Colorado.

This comes from a time when people would go live in Dallas for a little while to build up enough of a financial reserve to be able to come actually LIVE in Austin where there was no money but it was such a better place to actually live. I moved here from Dallas in 1969, and the difference was palpable then. Even coming home from visiting up there, at night lying on the floor in the back of a VW van, I could tell when we got close to Austin because the air smelled different - cleaner. Life as more relaxed and not so money driven as Dallas, you would even then see people in line at the really fancy restaurant in town waiting to get in in jeans and boots alongside someone in a fancy gown for going to the opera (yes, there was opera), and no one cared. Wouldn't find that in Dallas by a long shot, not then. But Dallas looked down on Austin because it wasn't all about the money.

Not so much any more. But the rivalry goes on, just like family feuds.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:11 AM

577 posts, read 456,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This comes from a time when people would go live in Dallas for a little while to build up enough of a financial reserve to be able to come actually LIVE in Austin where there was no money but it was such a better place to actually live. I moved here from Dallas in 1969, and the difference was palpable then. Even coming home from visiting up there, at night lying on the floor in the back of a VW van, I could tell when we got close to Austin because the air smelled different - cleaner. Life as more relaxed and not so money driven as Dallas, you would even then see people in line at the really fancy restaurant in town waiting to get in in jeans and boots alongside someone in a fancy gown for going to the opera (yes, there was opera), and no one cared. Wouldn't find that in Dallas by a long shot, not then. But Dallas looked down on Austin because it wasn't all about the money.

Not so much any more. But the rivalry goes on, just like family feuds.
The rivalry is completely one-sided these days. People in Dallas have nothing but great things to say about Austin.

I can't really comment on what Dallas was like in 1969 because I was born in '85, but I think the stereotype about Dallasites caring about money isn't completely accurate. Sure there are parts of town where that is true, but we are a huge metroplex with all types of people. It's a shame people can't see past that and just judge the city based on a stereotype.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:22 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Coming from South Louisiana, I agree. When I return to visit my 'rents in Louisiana they all have screened in porches because after 5PM you get eaten up if you go outside.

Here I'm routinely on my deck at night, unscreened, every day in the summer and I can count on my hands the number of insect bites which almost always occur after a rain.

This past summer, although brutally hot, dried everything out and there were zero mosquitoes in my backyard.
Well you're lucky because that hasn't been the case with me. AT ALL. Or my neighbors.

Like I said, if you have lots of tree coverage, shrubs, and landscaping, there will be mosquitoes. We have a wraparound porch and they hang out right outside the door and in the potted ferns.

You'll definitely get eaten up in my neighborhood. Or am I just unfortunate?

I think not. If mosquitoes weren't such a big deal here, there wouldn't be a gazillion mosquito control companies.

There's plenty of mosquitoes down here, particularly A. Aegypti mosquitoes, and Texas in general has yearly cases of West Nile. Not as much as maybe Florida, but to say that it is so hot there's no mosquitoes is just wishful thinking for many people other than the folks in this topic. I am bitten up like there's no tomorrow, so please don't tell me otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin