Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,260 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite neighborhoods/areas for families in Westlake? Elementary age kids. Preferably something with sidewalks, and/or is a friendly community where it's easy to meet and make friends with neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 07:36 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
when you say westlake do you mean eanes or actual westlake hills? The vast majority of westlake hills does not have sidewalks and is very hilly. The lot sizes are big and sheltered from each other by a lot of trees. Not the best area to randomly meet neighbors on the street.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
when you say westlake do you mean eanes or actual westlake hills? The vast majority of westlake hills does not have sidewalks and is very hilly. The lot sizes are big and sheltered from each other by a lot of trees. Not the best area to randomly meet neighbors on the street.

This. Westlake is not about sidewalks, seeing your neighbors getting into their cars on the driveway and waving, or block parties. People are plenty friendly and there are kids about but it doesn't have that vibe at all. Come and visit and see. Some of Rollingwood is more walkable and close-knit but you need real $ and most likely a total remodel or $$.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:51 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
As a point of reference, we have a 9 month old in Mueller and are now concerned with schools in a way that we weren't when we moved to this neighborhood, though of course we knew what we were getting into. We are on the East side of Mueller which is zoned to Blanton, Garcia, and Reagan.

My in-laws are in Lakeway and want us to move out there or to Westlake and the school district is the primary reason.

We won't do it, not because they haven't got a point, but because we live two blocks from John Gaines park and our kid makes more friends in one hour there than we would as adults in a month.

Of course, one reason it's so easy to meet people here is because, by Texas standards, we're sandwiched in like sardines and our lot is one of the larger ones at a tenth of an acre. But Mrs. Aquitaine and I came from NYC so it doesn't bother us.

A lot of folks say that they want walkable neighborhoods with sidewalks but they're not willing to give up the trees, the views, or the lot sizes. And there are other neighborhoods in Austin besides Mueller with sidewalks and close-in, friendly communities -- many of them older neighborhoods with better trees and a little more classic character than what Mueller has got. But you'll be paying more for an older home there. All depends on your priorities and your budget.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,260 times
OP here- by Westlake, I mean the Eanes school district, 78746 zip code. Is that technically called Westlake Hills?

Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2atxmama View Post
OP here- by Westlake, I mean the Eanes school district, 78746 zip code. Is that technically called Westlake Hills?
do a google map search for westlake hills. Westlake hills is a very small area and is its own town. It was designed with 1 acre lots, no sidewalks, trees to hide houses, and to feel rural. Eanes is a much wider area. I think a lot of the issues still apply everywhere in the eanes district - large lots, lots of trees, hilly terrain. All of those things stop kids from playing outside. You can do google street view for any neighborhood to see if it looks like what you are imagining.

lost creek is in eanes and my impression is that they have a lot of kids and a reasonably cohesive neighborhood with sidewalks etc.

It wouldnt surprise me though if rob roy and davenport ranch (two very master planned communities) have kids outside, sidewalks with people mingling, etc.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
You didn't mention a budget. Here are few neighborhoods to consider:
Senna Hills (far end of Eanes ISD, 78733 zip code)

Lost Creek (not many sidewalks, but friendly with lots of kids, parents groups for younger kids, many belong to low-key Lost Creek Country Club for the pool)

Neighborhoods along Walsh Tarlton (Pinnacle Dr., Thousand Oaks Dr., Wilderness Drive) - can walk to shopping and many students can walk/ride to elementary, middle, and high school)

Woods of Westlake, Woods of Westlake Heights, Parkstone - these neighborhoods are off of Loop 360 - sidewalks, lots of kids, access to Barton Creek Greenbelt. Cannot safely walk to schools or shopping.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:37 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,696 times
why not one of the neighborhoods off of 360 not far from the bridge?

Old 12-17-2019, 10:21 AM

307 posts, read 721,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
why not one of the neighborhoods off of 360 not far from the bridge?
this person must not live out there and drive 360 to ~downtown everyday.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:23 AM

307 posts, read 721,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2atxmama View Post
I don't live in Lost Creek - but am constantly amazed by the community they have there. they have their own Dad's club, country club (but it super down to earth), put on their own parties, have their own security patrol. I am friendly with many, many lost creek families and they are all super good people. And the school (Forest Trail) is top-notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: