Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 03:32 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,050,549 times

Advertisements

I know that some complaints about CapMetro Rail are last mile issues.

Today I decided to try out the train from Leander to Kramer and commute to Domain area.

It didn't seem terrible. I mean, of course you do have to walk from Kramer to Domain but it was only about 3 blocks. Of course the weather lately has also been very forgiving these past few days. With heavy rain or extreme heat during the summer then I can see it being an issue. It did seem weird that there was no bus coordinated to pick you up and take you to that area but it didn't seem too bad. One thing though is that Burnet Road only has a sidewalk on one side of the road which felt pretty inconvenient.

If I were to continue doing it I'd probably get a bike...

On a far fetched note, what if the city installed a covered walkway between Kramer and Domain replacing the sidewalk on Kramer Ln and also constructed a pedestrian bridge over Burnet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 09:07 AM

445 posts, read 414,811 times
That station is going to move to where IBM is today on Burnet Rd (900 buildings), so the city will not likely do anything to improve the current station. The biggest complaint is that there is no parking for Kramer station today, so people nearby can't use it to commute to downtown - not everyone lives in Domain.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
That station is going to move to where IBM is today on Burnet Rd (900 buildings), so the city will not likely do anything to improve the current station. The biggest complaint is that there is no parking for Kramer station today, so people nearby can't use it to commute to downtown - not everyone lives in Domain.
I see. Good to know this.

I'm just dead curious, is it going to be located at the Gracy Farms Ln railroad crossing or how will it connect be constructed at IBM without removing buildings at that complex?

Old 02-02-2020, 04:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,566,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I see. Good to know this.

I'm just dead curious, is it going to be located at the Gracy Farms Ln railroad crossing or how will it connect be constructed at IBM without removing buildings at that complex?

And will this be done in Camaro's lifetime???

Old 02-02-2020, 04:26 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,139,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
is there an actual plan or is this a prediction? I know the MLS stadium was trying to get the station moved closer

I agree that kramer sucks as there is no parking nearby

Old 02-03-2020, 11:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
is there an actual plan or is this a prediction? I know the MLS stadium was trying to get the station moved closer

I agree that kramer sucks as there is no parking nearby
and you have ornery business owners that erect fences to prevent pedestrian traffic

stopped using that station long ago.

in fact, just stopped using metrorail entirely and am much better for it.

anything that's only two cars is dumb.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,139,852 times
if you work in the domain and are coming from leander, the kramer station is going to be fine since you dont need to park. I would get a one wheel (or scooter) over a bike though. Much easier to take it into your office.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
if you work in the domain and are coming from leander, the kramer station is going to be fine since you dont need to park. I would get a one wheel (or scooter) over a bike though. Much easier to take it into your office.

Well, for what its worth I dont exactly work in Domain but I do work around the area - the walk was fine minus the lack of a sidewalk on Burnet on the NB side of the road.

off topic but do you happen to know what happened to Grandlux? I kind of liked them ...

Old 02-04-2020, 11:56 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,409,317 times
I think it's a foregone conclusion that eventually Kramer will be replaced by two stations, one at the Broadmoor development (IBM) and the other at the MLS stadium. Exactly when and how, from a financial perspective, is not clear.

When I've gone to Kramer in the past I walked down Esperanza Instead of Burnet. It's a bit a nicer. If I did that for my commute I'd probably invest a foldable bike or scooter however.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:56 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,233,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well, for what its worth I dont exactly work in Domain but I do work around the area - the walk was fine minus the lack of a sidewalk on Burnet on the NB side of the road.

off topic but do you happen to know what happened to Grandlux? I kind of liked them ...
Yes, they closed it, it was in the food blogs. The good news is that cheesecake factory is basically the same thing so there is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: