U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM

152 posts, read 784,899 times

Advertisements

Our company offered me a position in our Austin division. It may be a few months before we need to move, however we'd like to get a head start with the housing search. The work will be in around the Arboretum area.

We're relatively young couple in the early 30's with a 2 year old boy. We're looking for a 3 to 4 bdrm house with about 2,500 sf. for around $275k. I read that the school system is pretty good and shops are relatively close by. Any areas close to good elementary schools? We're interested in Cedar Park due to its close proximity to the hills and lake. We've only read about SW areas like Steiner, but seems like it's higher than what we could afford. If possible, we prefer the location in the more hilly part of the Cedar Park so you can get better view from the house. Is this possible in Cedar Park? Any recommendations on a newly developed subdivision, less than 5yrs. old or even new ones?

We've looked at Roundrock and Georgetown but since Cedar Park is somewhat smaller and less discussed we may need some input from the regulars.

I saw somewhere that property tax is about 2.4% is this true? What about traffic going into Arboretum area, say if you need to be there at about 7:30 am and leave about 5:30 pm. Also I read the water is harder compared to other areas. We don't have this issue in Frisco, and just wandering what the effect may be like and if it's easy to fix.

We may be driving down in a few weeks to scout the area. Any recommendations and things to look for in Cedar Park is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to relocating to Austin and reading your recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM

293 posts, read 862,039 times
We live in the more "hilly" parts of Cedar Park. We just sold our home in Twin Creeks (listed in the $280's for 2600 sq ft) so there are some deals to be found! Try looking in these surrounding areas:

Twin Creeks
Deer Creek
Cypress Canyon Vistas
Bella Vista

The taxes in this area range from 2.8% to 3.3%. The schools are excellent and it is close to everything you need. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,160,784 times
Good choices, texasgilrl 1. Also Volente Hills. I think Deer Creek is the only one with an elementary school in the neighborhood. Twin Creeks would have the highest property taxes.

Driving to the Arboretum would be a quick trip even in rush hour if you lived closer to the toll (10 minutes) From the neighborhoods listed above, you'll have thick local traffic getting to and from 183, but it's not that bad. It'll be even better when construction on Anderson Mill is completed.

Close to the toll: Red Oak is a new and very convenient neighborhood, but doesn't have the views. Avery Ranch is nice, too...close to Brushy Creek Park.

Steiner isn't SW Austin. It's in the SW corner of Leander ISD (Cedar Park's school district). You might squeek in within your price range.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 AM

124 posts, read 532,768 times
I live in Cypress Canyon Vistas. Seems almost like everyone there is in their 30's with kids. We moved there a little over a year ago and really love it. The land across Anderson Mill from our neighborhood will soon be turned into a park, the land across Lime Creek and the land behind the neighborhood is a wildlife preserve. This means there will not be apartments, or shopping strip malls close. That is a plus for us, might not be for you.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,636 times
You should try looking in the Silverado Ranch community by KB Homes. I recently purchased a house there and I'm pretty excited about it (should be finished in the next month or two).

The community is literally across the street from the brand new middle and high schools and just down the road from the elementary school. You have easy access to I35, Parmer Lane, 183/183A and have easy access to shopping, banking, entertainment, the lake and a brand new hospital. Plus you're 5-10 minutes from Cedar Park municipal buildings (city hall, library, etc).

Regardless of what some people on the boards here say, KB Homes has been very responsive to all my requests and inquiries concerning my home.

Check it out.

ExitusLSU

Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM

28 posts, read 116,350 times
I think Forest Oaks, Silver Oaks, and Ranch at Brushy Creek are in the same general area as Silverado. We drove around out there a while back - pretty area, and at the time, I think in your general price range (they may be too high, I am not positive). We don't live there, so I have no info on commute, quality of life, etc...

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

135 posts, read 695,495 times
I have a friend you just moved into her new KB home 1 month ago. They have already had to come out and redo ALL the floors and start the process of fixing a window that they put on crooked! She went into it with a positive attitude and now has said she will never build with them again. The things I mentioned are just 2 of the many many problems she is having.

I am glad it is working out for you so far. They are bound to get one right once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitusLSU View Post
You should try looking in the Silverado Ranch community by KB Homes. I recently purchased a house there and I'm pretty excited about it (should be finished in the next month or two).

The community is literally across the street from the brand new middle and high schools and just down the road from the elementary school. You have easy access to I35, Parmer Lane, 183/183A and have easy access to shopping, banking, entertainment, the lake and a brand new hospital. Plus you're 5-10 minutes from Cedar Park municipal buildings (city hall, library, etc).

Regardless of what some people on the boards here say, KB Homes has been very responsive to all my requests and inquiries concerning my home.

Check it out.

ExitusLSU

Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 PM

124 posts, read 532,768 times
I lived in a KB home just before my current Standard Pacific home. There is definitely a difference in quality. However, I will say that KB had excellent customer service. they were out at our house for about the first 3 years we lived in it. The subflooring upstairs was down right pitiful. as I walked across the room I could see items shaking on my dresser. BTW, I only weight 155 pounds. I was very happy when it sold.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM

152 posts, read 784,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
We live in the more "hilly" parts of Cedar Park. We just sold our home in Twin Creeks (listed in the $280's for 2600 sq ft) so there are some deals to be found! Try looking in these surrounding areas:

Twin Creeks
Deer Creek
Cypress Canyon Vistas
Bella Vista

The taxes in this area range from 2.8% to 3.3%. The schools are excellent and it is close to everything you need. Good luck!
That's good to hear, hopefully by the time we relocate, which will be sometime in the fall, prices may come down a little more, but there may not be to many choices available. Taxes seems higher than I thought and is it really 3.3% in TC? The lowest is 2.8% in other areas? I thought I saw around 2.4% somewhere.

Just by browsing the net, we like Twin Creeks area since it seems like a smaller community compared to Deer Creek or Cypress Canyon. Does DC and CC shared HOA and ammenities? Cypress Canyon seems to get less hilly and we're wondering about traffic noise since it's somewhat bordered by Anderson Mills. Avery Ranch looks nice, but again seems less hilly since it's situated east of 183. I'm wondering if this will be the case being east of 183, say towards Ranch at Brushy Creek and Silver or Forest Oaks. Is it safe to stay you want to stay west of 183 to get more of the views?

Good to hear that driving to Arboretum area only took about 10-15 minutes. And thanks for pointing out that Deer Creek has elementary school in the neighborhood, that's what we have right now.

Good pointers on the plan for neighborhood parks and wildlife preserve. It's definitely a plus in our book and no, we don't have to be close to shopping strip malls. But we do wan't to be somewhat close to groceries and home depot or lowes. Also the comment on KB home kind of worry us too.

Another thing I forgot to mention is are there any good hospitals or emergency care clinics in the area. It's important for two reasons, having a boy who's really active and a good hospital if we're planning for a 2nd child in the future.

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions and tips. We're feeling much more comfortable with Cedar Park and can't wait to visit and scout the different areas. Please feel free to provide more inputs on any of the communities around Cedar Park or any info in general.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,387,369 times
They've been building hospitals East and West of 35 in that area (Cedar Park and Round Rock) like gangbusters, so you have 2 or 3 choices of brand new hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin