Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I did not know that. I used to get Rudy's breakfast tacos all the time - vastly better than their 'cue. But now there's too many great taco places between us and the closest Rudy's - two of them in Jarrell five minutes from our doorstep, Rodriguez and El Pitayo (same family, one brick and mortar taco wagon (yeah, that's a thing), one sit down restaurant but you can get them to go).

There's also the taco window at El Charrito in Geogetown. Been there forever, was originally a taco wagon that went around to construction sites, and now every morning all the construction workers can still be seen gathered around that window on their way to work.
Yeah my sister was visiting and she's on a Gluten free diet and she asked and they have it. They don't advertise it but it's there.

There is a closer taco truck to my house but they put too much stuff in the breakfast taco so it gets mushy. I guess I just like eggs, bacon, and salsa (always spicy), just simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I guess I just like eggs, bacon, and salsa (always spicy), just simple.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
When people say their favorite tacos are Taco Deli or Torchy's an angel loses his wings.
Oh, it's worse than you think. I do NOT care for raw onions, jalapenos or cilantro. But; I'll eat a bacon/egg/cheese breakfast taco in a flash

Old 01-17-2020, 04:23 PM

Chopped raw onions are best served on chili sauce over tamales or enchiladas.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Ken’s Tacos - just north of Rundberg on the west side of Dessau Road. He’s been there at least 30 years.
Love that place. Used to work down the street, and we would regularly make taco runs. They are huge!

When I lived in San Marcos, there was a trailer at the corner of Bishop Street and Hopkins. I don't know what it was really called, but everyone just called her the Taco Lady. You could literally watch them making the tortillas from scratch and pulling them straight off the comal to make your taco. I haven't lived there in 20 years, and I still crave them. Still never found any as good.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Chopped raw onions are best served on chili sauce over tamales or enchiladas.
Or a barbacoa street taco with cilantro.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Oh, it's worse than you think. I do NOT care for raw onions, jalapenos or cilantro. But; I'll eat a bacon/egg/cheese breakfast taco in a flash
Sirloin, egg, and cheese from TacoDeli is amazing.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
While attending UT, I was with the opening kitchen staff (cook) of the first Waterloo Ice House on Congress in 1976. We popularized breakfast tacos in Austin by putting them on the lunch menu and making them to go. It was one taco for 75 cents, three tacos for $2.00– credit for putting them on the menu goes to Jesse Langer, a fellow cook there. The classic taco (for gringos) is egg, bacon, and hash browns wrapped up in a flour tortilla, offered with a side of salsa, still on the Waterloo menu.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 PM

Potatoes take up too much room for this gringo. Double bacon ftw!

Old 01-18-2020, 11:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Back in the 70's there was a little tiny place on the northwest corner of Congress and 1st (now Cesar Chavez) that sold Mexican food to go, including, of course, breakfast tacos. I worked right down the street from them at Ginny's Copying Service downtown store (I was Ginny's assistant) and I was there daily. There was always a line, and you could gain 300 lbs. just standing in line smelling the food - it was phenomenally good and sold me and a lot of other Austinites who worked in offices downtown and those who attended UT on breakfast tacos. It was called the Tamale House and it was an Austin institution - seems they started as a taco wagon and then opened up at that location in 1959. Eventually in 1984 the beloved place was replaced by a high rise - not a good exchange in my opinion. But the good news was, Moses and Carmen Vasquez (I knew her as Big Mama - she and Little Mama seemed to be the main cooks) that ran that little taco joint owned the land it was sitting on, and more Tamale Houses grew from the sale (the one on Airport, another Austin institution, was opened by a son in 1977). I've not managed to get to the one remaining, Tamale House East, run by the grandkids, but the genes are sure promising!

I still miss those breakfast tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin