Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 12:23 PM

40 posts, read 32,689 times

Advertisements

Or is it as simple as registering my vehicle and driver's license in Texas while renting a room in Texas since I do not have any physical property in California except my vehicle? I plan to spend only 4 months in California this year and the majority in Austin.

And how do stock sales work if I hypothetically make 100k in future March 2020 while living in California but move to Texas for the majority of the year? Do I pay California tax on when the stock was sold or by my state filing status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 12:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
I think you're a resident as soon as you get a driver's license.

Tax questions should be directed to your CPA.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 PM

283 posts, read 255,193 times
We don't have state income tax in Texas so it all depends on what California says. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:14 PM

44 posts, read 43,867 times
When I moved from CA to TX a little over ten years ago, CA basically tried to get tax on as much of your overall revenue as they could. I don’t remember the details (except that it felt like being taken advantage of) but I remember thinking, if moving to CA, do it at the start of the year and if leaving, do it at the end of the year. I’d try to get some advice from someone current on CA tax law so you can plan properly. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynarthur View Post
When I moved from CA to TX a little over ten years ago, CA basically tried to get tax on as much of your overall revenue as they could. I don’t remember the details (except that it felt like being taken advantage of) but I remember thinking, if moving to CA, do it at the start of the year and if leaving, do it at the end of the year. I’d try to get some advice from someone current on CA tax law so you can plan properly. Good luck.
I have heard from multiple people that CA will try to tax you as long as they can and until you force them to stop. Do NOT take for granted anything that any state agency in CA tells you. Definitely need a tax attorney, preferably one that is familiar with CA to non-CA moves.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
we do a little business in california and california regularly tries to tax my entire personal income. They assume I owe them a bunch of tax and leave it up to me to explain why I dont.

Texas CPA isnt that important, you will need a CPA versed in california tax law.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
When I left Illinois , I moved in June . They taxed my business 6 months I lived there at the state level .
I am unsure about commiefornia but I am sure they will punish and tax you for leaving that commie state . I suggest you move everything out ASAP . The longer you stay . The more you owe .

Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
I vaguely remember California trying to get some ca$h out of my pa after her retired to Texas. Letters from the tax board and such, mailed to him at our Texas house. I didn’t really ask much about it or how he resolved it, but he apparently made it go away fairly quickly. I know this isn’t much help, but it does appear to be a thing.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:19 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
California will examine your entire annual income for any year of part residency in order to elevate you to the highest possible tax bracket. After establishing the highest tax bracket it can it will then use that bracket to tax all California sourced income. The state will definitely try to steer what it can into the category of California source income. For example if you are a resident of the state for more than nine months in a year there is a rebuttable presumption of residency for the full year. To change residency from California you have to establish a new domicile outside of California and you have to have the intent to remain there (new domicile).

California chased retirees for years trying to tax them long after they were no longer residents claiming that their retirement was money earned in California. Court cases halted that back in the 90s at least with respect to reitred employees of non-state entities. Texas actually adopted legislation to create barriers to California being able to pursue taxes on former residents of California.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:07 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
My (indirect) experience was with military retirees having their income 'chased' by California - long, long after they moved elsewhere .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: