Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 10,451 times

Advertisements

Spent most of my life in Houston, moved to New England for the last 5 years, thinking about moving back in probably 2ish years. Hate Houston but love the Austin area, so will start looking there. Hubs doesn't want to be in Austin because of nightmare traffic. What are some great towns within 30 mins (maybe even on a lake?) with cute little downtown areas, schools aren't super important b/c ours are all grown, need good restaurants as we are foodies, and no nightmare traffic. Can spend up to $1m on a house. Any recs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:53 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Austin traffic woes are way overrated. Houston traffic is much worse. I would think new england traffic would be worse in their big cities.

Most traffic studies use a method where they look at ratio of slowest to fastest times. In cities that are always congested the ratio looks good because traffic is always slow.

If you instead look at average total commute austin doesnt rank high at all.

I commuted downtown from the north for a summer and my commute time was about 18 minutes.

If you can spend 1M on a house you should live in the city and you will not have to deal with traffic. But you can also live lakefront on lake travis for 1M. Very few good restaurants outside of the austin core.

I love to eat out and one reason why I live closer in is because of the proximity to restaurants. All the newest trendy restaurants are on the east side. If you live out by the lake it would be extremely difficult to get there.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Small towns within 30 minutes if Austin with cute downtowns? Add another 15 minutes and you might it. I agree with the idea of finding something g in town though. How much do you know about central Texas just looking at the map? Have you done any research on your own? I hate to be a pain, but we’re here to offer advice, not do the research for you. Throw out some names of cities/towns and we might be able to help some more.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:10 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
If you can afford $1m for a house, you should be able to live just about anywhere you want. Definitelty in the top 10% in Greater Austin of house prices.

If I had a $1m budget for a house in a small town within a short drive from Austin, I'd be looking in Lake Travis, Lago Vista, Jonestown and probably Spicewood. They are all by the lake.

Wimberly, while not by the lake, is a nice little town that many people might call "cute" in the Hayes County portion of The Texas Hill Country about 12 miles NW of San Marcos and 18 miles SE of Dripping Springs on RR 12. There is not a lake there, but there is a creek that looks like a river and a good place to swim. From what I hear, Wimberly is not a town for the "financially challenged", so to speak, but for a million dollars, it's definitely do-able, if you will.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:13 AM

17 posts, read 18,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytex00 View Post
Spent most of my life in Houston, moved to New England for the last 5 years, thinking about moving back in probably 2ish years. Hate Houston but love the Austin area, so will start looking there. Hubs doesn't want to be in Austin because of nightmare traffic. What are some great towns within 30 mins (maybe even on a lake?) with cute little downtown areas, schools aren't super important b/c ours are all grown, need good restaurants as we are foodies, and no nightmare traffic. Can spend up to $1m on a house. Any recs?
I would look into Georgetown. We just moved here from out of state, and we really like Georgetown. It has a great little downtown square and a cozy more smaller town vibe. If you have that budget you should look out at a beautiful suburb called Oaks of San Gabriel. (that's the only one we know in Georgetown, but the homes are beautiful and it feels like a country setting with beautiful trees all over, nice trails, and a nice pool area).

Old 01-24-2020, 08:33 AM
McJ

169 posts, read 480,198 times
Within 30 mins is a hard one -- that is sort of a dream scenario for what you want. Lakeway might work, although there isn't really a "cute downtown area" that I know of. It does have a lake and amenities like restaurants, a mall, and grocery shopping.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 10,451 times
Default Thank you!

Having grown up in Houston, I spent a lot of time visiting Austin and the area. We rented a house one summer in Lakeway, which I loved. I also like Georgetown and Bee Cave is cute. It's good to hear the traffic isn't as bad as my husband thinks it is. If that's the case, I'd much rather live IN Austin than on the outskirts, unless we decide we'd rather be on a lake. I love Austin, and can't wait to get back to great Mexican food. I'll check out some of the other towns mentioned here, though, that I hadn't heard of. Thank you!!!

Old 01-24-2020, 03:56 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,933 times
Marble Falls. 45 miles from Austin.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:37 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
With your budget, I would look into Bouldin Creek, Zilker, Travis Heights, and Tarrytown. They are all within 5 minutes of downtown Austin and there will be some great real estate within your budget. Tarrytown is right by the river, which is really wide around there, is hilly and there are multiple trails and places to swim nearby. A couple of other great central locations to look into are Rollingwood, and Westlake Hills, but those areas may be pushing your budget.

If you are adamant about being further out from the city, the only places I can recommend with your specifications is the Bee Cave/ Lakeway/ Steiner Ranch area. It will have everything minus the cute little downtown, as they are very commercialized areas. But from these areas, you are going to experience traffic headaches anytime you need to come into Austin.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Lizzy, with your budget of a million bucks, you need to find a realtor to accommodate you.

A million dollars will get you a property you want in Austin, and you won't have to rely on CityData to tell you where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin