U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 AM
 
17 posts, read 13,165 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, 2 sons and I just moved to Leander from out of state. We think the Austin area is a very nice place, just still getting to know the area & figuring out how to find some community. I'm an RN and my husband just graduated with his engineering tech degree & will be seeking work soon.

A couple questions...

Does anyone know of any places in the area that are like churches where people gather for spiritual/wisdom teachings support but that don't focus on one specific religion? I alway saw my grandmother have a great community from her church, & I've always wanted that, but just don't agree with some of the teachings in religions....I find it sad that I can never find places like this. (I do very much believe in something higher at work and that I also call God, however )

Also, landscape photography is my hobby so any suggestions on great places to watch the sunrise, sunset, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I know several in Austin, but some closer in Leander/Cedar Park, etc., area would also be appreciated...Or just any great places anywhere in the area would be great! (We love Georgetown, too!) I miss doing water photography, so any good spots with water would be great.

Also....I would love to find a list of all the locally owned businesses so I can support them first! If anyone has suggestions for locally owned businesses (in all of the Austin & surrounding area) of any type let me know!

One more thing....we love going to Roots in Georgetown as a family to eat because we always hear great live music. If anyone has suggestions on other family friendly restaurants where live music is always playing let me know!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2020, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Avery Ranch, Austin, TX
8,575 posts, read 14,718,229 times
Reputation: 3736
Make sure you get the Community Impact Newspaper for your area(and surrounding areas of interest). Lots of info on new businesses, local and otherwise. Decent coupon section that might make scouting out those businesses a little easier on the pocketbook, too

https://communityimpact.com/news/austin/georgetown/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
994 posts, read 842,635 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Hall View Post
Hello! My husband, 2 sons and I just moved to Leander from out of state. We think the Austin area is a very nice place, just still getting to know the area & figuring out how to find some community. I'm an RN and my husband just graduated with his engineering tech degree & will be seeking work soon.

A couple questions...

Does anyone know of any places in the area that are like churches where people gather for spiritual/wisdom teachings support but that don't focus on one specific religion? I alway saw my grandmother have a great community from her church, & I've always wanted that, but just don't agree with some of the teachings in religions....I find it sad that I can never find places like this. (I do very much believe in something higher at work and that I also call God, however )

Also, landscape photography is my hobby so any suggestions on great places to watch the sunrise, sunset, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I know several in Austin, but some closer in Leander/Cedar Park, etc., area would also be appreciated...Or just any great places anywhere in the area would be great! (We love Georgetown, too!) I miss doing water photography, so any good spots with water would be great.

Also....I would love to find a list of all the locally owned businesses so I can support them first! If anyone has suggestions for locally owned businesses (in all of the Austin & surrounding area) of any type let me know!

One more thing....we love going to Roots in Georgetown as a family to eat because we always hear great live music. If anyone has suggestions on other family friendly restaurants where live music is always playing let me know!!

It's not CLOSE to Leander, but you might check out Seton Cove for the spirituality part of your question. They have lots of classes and programs that might interest you and would be a nice way to meet people as you settle in. Good luck!


https://www.setoncove.net/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 01:55 PM
 
668 posts, read 586,609 times
Reputation: 576
I'd say Unity Church of the Hills fits your list nicely for the spiritual group. It is in Lakeline, not Leander, but close-ish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 05:06 PM
 
Location: California
37 posts, read 27,278 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Make sure you get the Community Impact Newspaper for your area(and surrounding areas of interest). Lots of info on new businesses, local and otherwise. Decent coupon section that might make scouting out those businesses a little easier on the pocketbook, too

https://communityimpact.com/news/austin/georgetown/
Awesome thank you. I’ll check it out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 PM
 
Location: California
37 posts, read 27,278 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
I'd say Unity Church of the Hills fits your list nicely for the spiritual group. It is in Lakeline, not Leander, but close-ish.
That’d be great. I’ll look into it now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM
 
Location: California
37 posts, read 27,278 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
It's not CLOSE to Leander, but you might check out Seton Cove for the spirituality part of your question. They have lots of classes and programs that might interest you and would be a nice way to meet people as you settle in. Good luck!


https://www.setoncove.net/
Cool thank you! I’ll check into it now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top