Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2020, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving out West on 290 from south central Austin into Dripping Springs, which we fell in love with from the first trip out that way. We're looking for a family-friendly community (with hopes of a new family member in the near future), dog-friendly area, preferably close to some shopping (hello, Torchy's!) and with lots of green space for hiking, cycling and fresh air. A big backyard and/or Hill Country views would be ideal!

Does anyone have thoughts on the major differences between living in Belterra and Ledge Stone, other than the community size? Any other neighborhood suggestions are also very welcome. We love the feeling we get driving through Sawyer Ranch and have also been trying to find communities with a similar feeling that we can keep an eye on. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 10:25 AM

88 posts, read 106,265 times
Realtor here in Dripping. Ledge stone is a much smaller community. Belterra has a lot of amenities. There is also Headwaters. More choices if you go further west. Do you commute into Austin? What’s most important to you?

Old 08-23-2020, 11:07 AM

34 posts, read 22,021 times
Here are some probably worthless thoughts from someone who has never heard of Sawyer Ranch or Ledge Stone.

After doing some internet research, Sawyer Ranch looks interesting. If you own then sell a home in many (most?) parts of south central Austin, it would seem you would be able to jump right into Sawyer Ranch. When a house for sale pops up, of course.

Belterra and Ledge Stone (from viewing internet real-estate sites) are okay bedroom communities one would suppose, but don't seem to hold any drama, quirks or special appreciation potential.

In about 2005, there were many radio commercials for Belterra (same as for Santa it Ranch, recently). Finding myself in the area one day then, I decided to drive into Belterra to see what all the fuss was about. I drove for seemed to be forever down a beautiful rolling road with manicured fields surrounding and forests of trees in the distance, and thought, wow.

Then I hit the top of the next hill and saw spread out below dozens of houses packed cheek to jowl and thought, what a scam! That was way too harsh, but you know what I mean.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzydogrnch View Post
Realtor here in Dripping. Ledge stone is a much smaller community. Belterra has a lot of amenities. There is also Headwaters. More choices if you go further west. Do you commute into Austin? What’s most important to you?
Thank you for the thoughts! We looked at Headwaters first and love the views. It's beautiful. We had ruled HW out given the tax rate & construction... but now that we find ourselves looking at two communities with comparable tax rates (LS + Belterra), it's probably worth rethinking our tolerance for temporary construction.

As for location, we like the idea of being 25-30 minutes from DT Austin (without traffic, obviously). One of us is permanently remote, and I had been working full-time in south Austin. My hope is to work south or remote, or a combo of both, when things open up more. A ~30 minute commute would be workable.

As for what we're looking for: ideally a big lot/backyard; friendly and green community; ~$500K; 4/3 (but 3/2.5 would be good too); updated interior; 25-30 minutes from downtown Austin ideally. It seems like Sawyer Ranch checks all our boxes but I don't want to be too narrow-minded.

Thank you!

Last edited by HillCountryViewer; 08-23-2020 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-24-2020, 09:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
One thing to think about is that the population center of austin is at burnet and northloop (circa 2010). Jobs generally are weighted to the north. Going 25-30 minutes south of downtown reduces your choices for jobs.

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...ean_center.pdf

Old 08-24-2020, 04:41 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryViewer View Post
Thank you for the thoughts! We looked at Headwaters first and love the views. It's beautiful. We had ruled HW out given the tax rate & construction... but now that we find ourselves looking at two communities with comparable tax rates (LS + Belterra), it's probably worth rethinking our tolerance for temporary construction.

As for location, we like the idea of being 25-30 minutes from DT Austin (without traffic, obviously). One of us is permanently remote, and I had been working full-time in south Austin. My hope is to work south or remote, or a combo of both, when things open up more. A ~30 minute commute would be workable.

As for what we're looking for: ideally a big lot/backyard; friendly and green community; ~$500K; 4/3 (but 3/2.5 would be good too); updated interior; 25-30 minutes from downtown Austin ideally. It seems like Sawyer Ranch checks all our boxes but I don't want to be too narrow-minded.

Thank you!

If you are going to frequent or maybe have kids get jobs in Belterra Village you might want to be on that side of the highway. 290 is a dangerous road. I have seen kids trying to run across 290 from Ledgestone and it's just not a good idea. That said Ledgestone also has a number of properties intended to look like standalone homes and lots but they are actually site built condominiums and created that way to avoid county platting limitations. Belterra does have quite a few more amenities plus the backside provides alternative routes to Dripping Springs, Austin, or Buda/Kyle/San Marcos. Both are in the Dripping Springs ISD. HW in my opinion has a pretty impressive road entering but the houses are even closer together and seem really expensive for the "clapboard" style appearance. Many of the lots also seem "difficult" to use and enjoy because of their perch on terraces.

About half of Belterra has AT&T Gigabit Fiber if that is important for you. No I'm not a real estate agent nor do I own property in any of those places but I have spent considerable time in and around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin