Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 07:05 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,675,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I am from the dreaded, hated, Houston (a native). Austin should have taken more cues from it rather than looking to the West Coast.
Austin is what it is. Austinites, at least a plurality, have chosen that it be this way. For some reason, other Texans get their knickers in a knot about this. Care to explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 07:14 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,569,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
But why? Austin has never had an interest in being more like Houston, that much should be well known from a native Houstonian. Austin has always been more about what has been happening on the coasts.
Be careful, you might accidentally bring out THL to berate you for not believing Austin in the 60s-90s was the bestest, uniquest, perfectest utopia that ever was and was ruined by "outsiders" (while she reaps the benefits of her financial portfolio growing 3-6% a year for decades).

But you're right. Austin has always been a safe haven for Texans who didn't fit in, whether it's Houston, Dallas, West Texas, the RGV, etc., and they looked to the coasts for cultural cues. It's the mix of coastal counterculture with Texas attitudes that has always made Austin what it is. In fact, now that Austin is on the map more and more, it's looked to as a source for a lot of counterculture. The vast majority of in-migration is from within Texas, and Austin is IMHO, the best distiller of Texas culture.

A place's "character" isn't in its buildings or urban structure. It's in the characters. Austin will cease to be Austin if only wealthy families can live in the core.

Last edited by Westerner92; 02-19-2020 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 07:54 AM

15,265 posts, read 35,607,905 times
The no-zoning in Houston is a very interesting beast. There are restrictions (i.e. minimum distance between adult bookstores and schools), so it isn't completely 'wild west'. It is possible that the sprawl of Houston is partially attributable to the lack of zoning - people moving out to escape mixes that they did not like. HOAs have a much more significant impact, as well.

I will say that I deal with people and companies all the time that are in litigation or mediation due to industrial facilities right next to residential facilities. There are some very unhappy people.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,372,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Be careful, you might accidentally bring out THL to berate you for not believing Austin in the 60s-90s was the bestest, uniquest, perfectest utopia that ever was and was ruined by "outsiders" (while she reaps the benefits of her financial portfolio growing 3-6% a year for decades).

But you're right. Austin has always been a safe haven for Texans who didn't fit in, whether it's Houston, Dallas, West Texas, the RGV, etc., and they looked to the coasts for cultural cues. It's the mix of coastal counterculture with Texas attitudes that has always made Austin what it is. In fact, now that Austin is on the map more and more, it's looked to as a source for a lot of counterculture. The vast majority of in-migration is from within Texas, and Austin is IMHO, the best distiller of Texas culture.

A place's "character" isn't in its buildings or urban structure. It's in the characters. Austin will cease to be Austin if only wealthy families can live in the core.

Obsessed with your own version of reality, are you? It's sad to see. What are you, 13 or something?

No, Austin has not "always" looked to the coasts for its cultural cues. (Unless always means a very short period of time that involves only since you've been a teenager or later - and if that's the case, to quote a famous Spaniard, I don't think that word means what you think it means.) And no sane adult looks to Austin today for a source of counterculture. That's long gone and it's rapidly turning into AnyCity, USA.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:57 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Exactly, allowing densification is no guarantee of objective affordability (like in Houston where new townhomes inside the Loop are $400K and up), but it at least allows the construction of units that can be produced less expensively per unit, like duplexes, ADUs and townhomes.

Ultimately land prices determine whether there's real affordability in a neighborhood. If the market believes that someone will pay $500K or more for a home on a particular piece of land, the land price will adjust, and affordability is gone.

What's often overlooked, though, is that generally allowing more housing production over a given market area where demand is increasing will also help slow down price appreciation at the macro level.
actually supply vs demand determines if there are affordable units. The land price is irrelevant so long as there is enough supply

Old 02-19-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Obsessed with your own version of reality, are you? It's sad to see. What are you, 13 or something?

No, Austin has not "always" looked to the coasts for its cultural cues. (Unless always means a very short period of time that involves only since you've been a teenager or later - and if that's the case, to quote a famous Spaniard, I don't think that word means what you think it means.) And no sane adult looks to Austin today for a source of counterculture. That's long gone and it's rapidly turning into AnyCity, USA.
Clueless, clueless, clueless. Austin didn't invent the hippie revolution that you look so fondly upon (then deserted).

Old 02-19-2020, 08:09 AM

577 posts, read 456,564 times
Quote:
Agreed. I know some people in Austin seem to like to think they are akin to Portland or California, but, IMO, that could not be further from the truth. To me, it just felt like a slightly younger version of the hip parts of Dallas/Houston.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,372,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Clueless, clueless, clueless. Austin didn't invent the hippie revolution that you look so fondly upon (then deserted).

You are the one who is clueless. However, I, at least, am an adult and decline to any longer play this childish game you seem so intent on without one shred of actual knowledge about me, just irritation that I disagree with you. Typical teenager behavior. Play on - I already raised two of thoes, recognize the signs, and decline to do it again.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
You are the one who is clueless. However, I, at least, am an adult and decline to any longer play this childish game you seem so intent on without one shred of actual knowledge about me, just irritation that I disagree with you. Typical teenager behavior. Play on - I already raised two of thoes, recognize the signs, and decline to do it again.
I'm just returning your shrill attitude that you always bring to this forum. It would make sense that you recognize it in the kids you raised.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:16 AM

577 posts, read 456,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
But why? Austin has never had an interest in being more like Houston, that much should be well known from a native Houstonian. Austin has always been more about what has been happening on the coasts.
It seems like Austin is becoming more and more like Houston/DFW everyday, rather than like the coastal cities. I'm seeing more sprawl in Austin every day and it's a very car-centric metropolitan area which is 90% cookie cutter, suburban development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin