Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know that if your over-the range microwave does not vent to outside the charcoal air filter
No 1 50.00%
Yes 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 966 times

Advertisements

Did you know there is a charcoal air filter inside your over-the-range microwaves over if it does not vent to the outside?
#1) I am trying to find out if renters know that this filter exists and needs to be replace every 6 months.
#2) Are there any Austin laws requiring landlords to replace air filter?

The charcoal filter needs to be changed every 6 months or you are breathing in focused dirty air. My landlord management company at first said there is no filter, so I gave then the info from Whirlpool explaining the filter. After going back and forth for 5 months, they finally said that if I buy the filter, they would replace the old one. Just for me, not all the tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 12:39 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
How many people actually cook these days? I have two rental units, both with hoods that vent to the outside, but the filters are always squeaky-clean from lack of use when the tenants move out. If you cook enough to crust up the filter, instead of trying to start a movement, it might be easier to just do it yourself.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:43 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Lowe's has a universal filter for $17.97. Maybe just spend the $40/year and get on with your life.

And I did know that the filters need changing, but I like to cook. I wouldn't live in a place with a recirculating fan. (Or I'd try really hard not to.)

Old 02-29-2020, 01:07 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz renter View Post
Did you know there is a charcoal air filter inside your over-the-range microwaves over if it does not vent to the outside?
#1) I am trying to find out if renters know that this filter exists and needs to be replace every 6 months.
#2) Are there any Austin laws requiring landlords to replace air filter?

The charcoal filter needs to be changed every 6 months or you are breathing in focused dirty air. My landlord management company at first said there is no filter, so I gave then the info from Whirlpool explaining the filter. After going back and forth for 5 months, they finally said that if I buy the filter, they would replace the old one. Just for me, not all the tenants.
it takes like 5 minutes and is like a light bulb. You should request a new one on move in, but should be responsible for replacing during your tenancy.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
NOT a charcoal filter but a washable one in many OTR microwaves. If you cook/fry a lot with greasy foods; run it through the dishwasher from time to time.

I REALLY don't thing they do much in terms of cleaning the air.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Lowe's has a universal filter for $17.97. Maybe just spend the $40/year and get on with your life.

And I did know that the filters need changing, but I like to cook. I wouldn't live in a place with a recirculating fan. (Or I'd try really hard not to.)
Given the wide variety of cooking "customs" in any apartment/condo complex; it's probably a good thing that cooking odors are NOT exhausted to the outside...just sayin'.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
The lease agreements I'm familiar with made it the responsibility of the tenant to change air filters. No there is no law requiring the landlord do this.

As a landlord for 12 years, after the first few years I changed the filters myself, because they protected my HVAC equipment and I found that tenants were totally unreliable at doing this, regardless of my efforts to educate them regarding the need.

It probably has become more common for kitchen hoods in apartments to use recirculating hoods, as its cheaper to build these in.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-01-2020 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 09:18 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I have spurts where I cook alot and spurts where I eat out alot.

TBH as a single the cost difference isnt really that great. It costs me just as much to cook as it does to eat out when factoring in all the necessary ingredients, spices, sauces and side dishes. Unfortunately after eating some of the food here, just throwing a chicken in the oven doesn't quite do it for me ... When my elders comes here to visit me though, its much cheaper to cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: