Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 AM

3,812 posts, read 2,106,108 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxa...wn-subway/amp/
What are your thoughts? Is Austin ready for this? Would you support/use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 08:23 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,581,731 times
We have to find the money to pay for it before it happens.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 AM

181 posts, read 157,295 times
I'd vote against the subway, but potentially for the light rail at ground level depending on location. Tech Ridge/Domain to Downtown or Airport to Downtown. Also, as cool as rail is (I enjoy riding on "trains"); if I'm being honest with myself, the money is more effectively used on Rapid Bus Transit. As a pragmatic person, that's probably what I'd vote for.
Even then, I'd probably prefer to see some kind of highway improvement. I feel our hard earned money would be better spent on on fixing I-35 through downtown.

I'd add that whatever those costs say they are, expect it to be double or triple by the time it's all said and done.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
I'll vote for it but skeptical that it will pass based on past history.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:13 PM

3,812 posts, read 2,106,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
I'd vote against the subway, but potentially for the light rail at ground level depending on location. Tech Ridge/Domain to Downtown or Airport to Downtown. Also, as cool as rail is (I enjoy riding on "trains"); if I'm being honest with myself, the money is more effectively used on Rapid Bus Transit. As a pragmatic person, that's probably what I'd vote for.
Even then, I'd probably prefer to see some kind of highway improvement. I feel our hard earned money would be better spent on on fixing I-35 through downtown.

I'd add that whatever those costs say they are, expect it to be double or triple by the time it's all said and done.
You mentioned highway improvements. I've read in other threads that widening I-35 is not possible or would not be feasible. Is building new routes possible. Are there any natural barriers limiting that?

Old 02-21-2020, 04:09 PM

11,668 posts, read 7,814,305 times
I personally would vote for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
We have to find the money to pay for it before it happens.
From what I've heard much of it is based off a federal funding package which other metro's are applying for, if the vote passes, supposedly Austin is the most likely to receive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post

I agree I-35 through downtown needs serious improvement, but I can't help but feel that its improvement effects will be shortlived and very short term based. Another problem is, Austin is going to run out of room to sprawl much quicker than DFW and Houston will and the lack of investing in transit will severely hender the development of high density nodes and render Austin as a very car-dependent metro with limited road infrastructural capacity (especially in the intown areas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
You mentioned highway improvements. I've read in other threads that widening I-35 is not possible or would not be feasible. Is building new routes possible. Are there any natural barriers limiting that?
I'm unsure how feasible or practical it would be but it has been proposed under the Capital Expressway project.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,868,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally would vote for it.

I'm unsure how feasible or practical it would be but it has been proposed under the Capital Expressway project.
I think the 360 projects are all based on getting rid of the lights and putting in over/ underpasses at the sections with lights and not widening the roadways.

Loop 360 Program

Old 02-21-2020, 04:34 PM

5,685 posts, read 4,591,670 times
Austin can grow North, South, and East. The only prohibitive direction is West.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:54 PM

11,668 posts, read 7,814,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I think the 360 projects are all based on getting rid of the lights and putting in over/ underpasses at the sections with lights and not widening the roadways.

Loop 360 Program
I mean I-35:
My35: I-35 Capital Express Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Yeah but do we really want that? sprawling suburbs further and further away from the core even with tollroads will still severely hender commute feasibility especially when considering Austin proper and core areas are severely limited to how much road capacity they can serve to all 4 directions of commuters. Not to mention the longer the distance traveled on a tollroad, the more expensive the commute is. I personally would rather something that will allow me to commute that bypasses traffic.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:54 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,581,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Which is where everyone wants to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin