U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 03:36 PM

6,139 posts, read 7,272,323 times

Advertisements

Our neighborhood Facebook pages are chock full of people arguing that the mask requirements are ridiculous and infringe upon their rights. So there are still lots of folks out there whining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 04:38 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,307,939 times
I'm shocked bars in AUS are closed again THROUGH JULY 10TH as of today AGAIN: https://www.traviscountytx.gov/news/...19-information

Well, that's 2 days before my birthday. I guess I should be thankful.

Unfortunately this is what we get for not wearing masks in public spaces (even though I'm fairly convinced there's more to it than just that EG: Ethnicity and Genes). When I saw zero enforcement of masks on Rainey Street at bars a few weeks ago, I immediately thought Holy S*** they're eventually going to get nailed & pay for this (literally).

However, quite a few places I've been to have taken the social distancing between seating and mask wearing very seriously. I really don't think they should suffer for following the rules properly. I feel like this is like putting everyone in "Time Out" at the moment.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:47 PM

320 posts, read 115,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Our neighborhood Facebook pages are chock full of people arguing that the mask requirements are ridiculous and infringe upon their rights. So there are still lots of folks out there whining about it.
I moderate a neighborhood Facebook page and we have a policy that does not allow confrontational issues. Masks are one of our banned topics. Makes reading the page a lot more enjoyable.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 PM

6,751 posts, read 1,759,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You could comment that covid19 doesn't know about rights or politics or policy or what color your skin is and doesn't care.

https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/co...cmP8ObrdnhaZZc
One of the things we have to understand is that this virus is operating under the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology. It doesn’t in any way, shape, or form bend itself to public policy

Old 06-26-2020, 09:26 PM

6,818 posts, read 12,204,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Before this pandemic Austinites whined & screamed about Abbott stepping on the city's crazy & disastrous homeless polIcies and the plastic bag ban.
Now he's allowing local control to determine what’s best for the city..... and is getting the same reaction.

Y’all make up your minds.

he actually didnt allow local control. Austin would have kept many businesses closed, but the state executive order said cities could not close businesses.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:00 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,046,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You could comment that covid19 doesn't know about rights or politics or policy or what color your skin is and doesn't care.

https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/co...cmP8ObrdnhaZZc
One of the things we have to understand is that this virus is operating under the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology. It doesn’t in any way, shape, or form bend itself to public policy

Thanks for the link. I found the piece on "ultradian rhythms" interesting as well.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:44 AM

13,547 posts, read 30,098,514 times
Okay, I thought I was losing my mind, but maybe I am not after all. The Texas Medical Center (TMC) posts a ton of data related to COVID admissions, discharges, ICU beds, ventilators, etc. I had looked at it on Thursday and noted that they have an ongoing graphic that shows percent capacity of 'normal', 'sustainable surge', and 'unsustainable surge' ICU capacity of TMC. It also breaks down the ICU occupants are COVID or non-COVID related.

Anyway, it listed that the ICU occupancy has just barely passed from normal to surge (by 6 beds out of some thousands?) and 27% were COVID related. The last couple days I have not been able to navigate my way back to that page and just thought it was my internet idiocy. Then I saw this today:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-med...150116185.html

As per the story:
Quote:
According to the Houston Chronicle, the data was deleted from the website after a conversation between hospital administrators and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who expressed displeasure at the metrics on the website. Most of the charts with hospital data were restored and modified after the Chronicle story ran.
and..
Quote:
A TMC spokesperson told NBC News reporter Mike Hixenbaugh that the data was removed only temporarily.

"After the events of this week, everyone realized the capacity question was complicated and misunderstood," the spokesperson said on Sunday. "So new slides are being made that better explain. That's all it is."
I am sure that is true, but the differences I notice:
- the word 'surge' is removed, as well as 'sustainable' and 'unsustainable', from the website and just replaced with Phase 1, 2, and 3. In addition, there is a vague 'additional capacity' with no number of beds associated, just notes that it is conversion of currently non-ICU beds.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 PM

11,503 posts, read 11,276,904 times
At least Abbott concedes that the reopening was a debacle. There was a question posted somewhere asking "Do you blame Abbott?" While my ire is squarely directed at some people's poor decision making and utter cluelessness, along with toolbag businesses such as downtown Austin bars that openly flouted common sense guidelines and put their patrons, themselves, and the families of their patrons in danger, I do blame him for not enforcing the facial coverings in public spaces if he's not going to have a stay at home order, looking like a complete wet blanket when that Dallas hairdresser openly defied him, and undermining local officials due to party politics. I'm bringing up party politics because that is entrenched in this whole mess and before someone calls me a "liberal" (which I guess is supposed to be an insult), I am actually independent and a centrist. It just defies logic how people react the way that they're acting during this pandemic. Thank God it isn't Ebola, or we'd all be dead right now. It's as someone said in a meme somewhere, the world is watching us like people tuned in to Tiger King.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 2,614,592 times
I wonder why Governor Abbott excused children 10 yrs and younger from wearing masks? Kids 10 yrs and younger can spread the virus germs just good as kids over 10.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...t-coronavirus/

Old 07-02-2020, 09:57 PM

4,777 posts, read 1,938,924 times
Probably because it would have been impractical to enforce given the level of maturity we are talking about. They cannot begin to grasp the gravity of what is happening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or