Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 06:31 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The whole issue of tests and protective gear is something that could/should be taken care of. We all know it's inexcusable. I don't know about you but every day I'm hearing the same thing: tests and protective gear are needed, and, there are millions of tests and millions of protective gear going out, and then we go back to square one: there is a shortage of everything.

What I want to know is what can we do? I call and email members of congress but is that even effective any longer? Especially when some of them are starting to isolate or quarantine.

What are the solutions?

In case it was missed here is another article about the "shelter in place":

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...-expectations/
The best thing you can do is vote. Don't forget about this in November. Don't forget Trump saying, “There is no testing kit shortage, nor has there ever been. Anybody that wants a test can get a test.” He said that on March 6th while touring the CDC. According to him, there's no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
south korea did not test anyone offsite. They could swab offsite, but all tests had to be sent to a lab. A primary care physician has no way to run a test because it requires PCR and other equipment.
I realize that, but it doesn't change the fact that a s**t ton more people were tested in South Korea than we've tested here. And they've done a much better job of containment.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Im coming from the point of view that it cant be stopped. It is literally impossible to stop. Im not sure where you get the idea that we are going to quarantine, then it will go away, then we can go out again. That will never happen.
That's kind of exactly what's happening in other parts of the world. Quarantine doesn't stop it, but it sure as heck minimizes it. This is not going to last forever; we will eventually be back to normal. How long that takes depends on how we handle it. And right now, the US is doing a pretty poor job of handling it.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
That is not how the test kits work.. No doubt an instant test kit will be created (may have already) but to date they have all been PCR based tests.
I get that. What does that have to do with who administers it? It's a swab - that doesn't require an ER doc to do. In fact, nurses are the ones doing it now. They can do the tests somewhere other than ERs and relieve some of the stress on the hospitals. They're not doing instant tests anywhere, but somehow every country other than ours is able to do more of them. A lot more.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:13 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lling-n1167341

That is your great Lt. Gov.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,842 times
You guys, Texas is a few weeks behind us. Texas needs to listen up. COVID-19 is all over here and the NYC metro with NY and NJ being the states with the most number of confirmed cases. We have friends whose relatives are in the hospital and not doing well at all. There are many, many of young people with the virus as well despite what's being circulated. Our town has families who are sick and have no clue where they picked it up from. Some are very sick, others have no symptoms at all but counties have traced their movements and determined they were a carrier, infecting others -- unrelated people. Community spread.

But the confirmed cases don't matter in the bigger picture, it's the invisible community spread in the meantime that's creeping it's way though the country while people are still going about normal daily activities. We received a statewide and Shelter-in-Place-Order last weekend. We joined other states in this effort https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ome-order.html

Our family has been sheltering in place, on our own accord, since schools closed 3/13. Gone to the grocery store ONCE, at the start. Other than walks and driving to some quiet place to walk, that's it. Ordered a whole bunch from Amazon. Got one grocery store delivery but had to wait a week and a half for it to be delivered but that's ok. It was like Christmas when it came and we were grateful.

We have a testing center here set up at a local community college, fantastic! Set up quickly and efficiently. But there were/are so many folks lined up before it opens, it closes after 15-45 min each day bc they run out of tests. Our gov and NY's gov are going out of their way to stay on top of it all with daily to-dos and press conferences and messaging to residents that also comes through our mayor. But your governor and many other (republican) governors have their head in the sand epidemiologists repeatedly warn. Case in point: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...241436821.html

Many government officials and citizens are choosing not to understand or accept the math and facts. It's all right there, IT'S LAID OUT FOR YOU WITH REAL TIME PROOF FROM ITALY AND FRANCE, AND SOUTH KOREA. Until every state shelters-in-place we will not get a hold on this.

Older but has been updated. Predicts correctly what is happening week by week, it's the math behind the science. STEM, PEOPLE. https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warn...c-2b0145881993

Or if you need a more visual explanation from an Austin ED doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-H0h9Pi_A

Last edited by Idlewile; 03-24-2020 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM

15,629 posts, read 10,383,806 times
I heard on good day austin that the austin mayor will announce shutting down, requiring sheltering-in-place, the city later today except for essential services. the start date was expected to be midnight tonight.

I know this news has been posted up thread, but posted for those who didn't know.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:27 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I realize that, but it doesn't change the fact that a s**t ton more people were tested in South Korea than we've tested here. And they've done a much better job of containment.
Well when they told the people to stay home, the people did.
American culture is not like that.

It's not that they did a better job; it's that the people did what they were asked.
America, Italy, Spain, UK, etc. not so much

Old 03-24-2020, 07:30 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
I get that. What does that have to do with who administers it? It's a swab - that doesn't require an ER doc to do. In fact, nurses are the ones doing it now. They can do the tests somewhere other than ERs and relieve some of the stress on the hospitals. They're not doing instant tests anywhere, but somehow every country other than ours is able to do more of them. A lot more.
They are using WHO tests. FDA regulations prevented us from using WHO tests due to our strict standards.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:36 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
I guess I wasnt sure what you were saying since you said it is like the flu test. The sample collection can be done by anyone anywhere. It doesnt have to be done in an ER. I think it is unlikely that only ERs are doing them. It is just a standard NP swab. There is no shortage of the ability to swab.

The swab gets sent to a lab which administers the test.

Here is an example of a test kit

https://health.ri.gov/publications/i...ection-Kit.pdf

It is literally just a swab, UTM, icepack, and form.

Are you sure only ERs can collect a sample?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin