Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 04:41 PM

550 posts, read 497,630 times

Advertisements

Anybody still mad they cancelled SXSW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 05:19 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,806,856 times
Check out this site (I'm newish to Austin - Chiming in):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Travis County only has 7 deaths so far, so we're obviously doing something right as we're the 2nd largest state in the country. Most metro areas are well into the hundreds in terms of death counts. Maybe it's the heat, IDK.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:24 PM

11,774 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
TBH I vastly underestimated how incredibly damaging Covid-19 was going to be to the national economy early on, but even after having been laid off I have no regrets. Congregating that many people in one area at one time causing it to become a en-masse breeding ground would have brought us one step closer to overloading over our healthcare system. At this point I dont think it would have mattered much given the trajectory of the economy at this rate. Even if it were hosted, alot of travel was already being canceled at that point, and many were threatened the possibility of not getting a return flight back home as airlines were already shedding collateral and many probably would have chosen not to come so it probably wasnt going to be anywhere close to as strong as a turnout as prior years.

I'm more worried about the current situation over the national economy. In just a few weeks, we have already shed off half of the number of jobs we gained in an entire decade between The Great Recession and Now...and have already doubled the job loss accrued over the Great Recession.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/this...ronavirus.html

Old 04-11-2020, 06:23 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
TBH I vastly underestimated how incredibly damaging Covid-19 was going to be to the national economy early on, but even after having been laid off I have no regrets. Congregating that many people in one area at one time causing it to become a en-masse breeding ground would have brought us one step closer to overloading over our healthcare system. At this point I dont think it would have mattered much given the trajectory of the economy at this rate. Even if it were hosted, alot of travel was already being canceled at that point, and many were threatened the possibility of not getting a return flight back home as airlines were already shedding collateral and many probably would have chosen not to come so it probably wasnt going to be anywhere close to as strong as a turnout as prior years.

I'm more worried about the current situation over the national economy. In just a few weeks, we have already shed off half of the number of jobs we gained in an entire decade between The Great Recession and Now...and have already doubled the job loss accrued over the Great Recession.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/this...ronavirus.html
covid hasnt been damaging to the economy, our response to it has been damaging to the economy.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
not angry, I think we would have been fine, but it was definitely a tough call. We can look at new orleans as a comparison. They are smaller than the Austin metro area (1.2M vs 2M) They held mardi gras about the same time as SXSW, but for a month. We have 9 deaths and they have about 380. 20000 infected vs 10000 infected in texas.

Eventually we will have everyone infected and the number of people that are going to die will happen. As long as hospitals arent swamped we will have the minimal death rate.

Lets say infections drop and hardly anyone was infected. Then what?

Old 04-11-2020, 08:26 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Check out this site (I'm newish to Austin - Chiming in):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Travis County only has 7 deaths so far, so we're obviously doing something right as we're the 2nd largest state in the country. Most metro areas are well into the hundreds in terms of death counts. Maybe it's the heat, IDK.
I think we are doing a decent job here, but I also think population density has a lot to do with it.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
covid hasnt been damaging to the economy, our response to it has been damaging to the economy.
In an economic standpoint it is definitely crushing, but I don't see that it could really be better in any other situation. The mortality rate of this disease does seem to be impacted by the response of nations and available healthcare. Italy for example experienced a 12% mortality rate as they attempted to plow through it, not only did they cripple their healthcare systems but were forced to shut down anyway to prevent further damage. We were also a bit sluggish but the U.S. currently has a 3.4% mortality rate based on confirmed cases.

The lack of immunity is what the real problem is. You see, we're comparing it to the flu (although Covid-19 and the Flu are not even in the same family, they only share 'some' similar symptoms but their class of virus are altogether different, the flu shows symptoms in as early as 2 - 3 days where as Covid-19 in as early as 5 days and as late as 2 weeks - all of which is still contageous and spreading throughout that duration, unknowingly.), however; what prevents the flu from spreading rampantly is many people are immune to the current mutated strands (not only due to vaccinations but also exposure) thus less potential infected means it cannot use that host to spread to others. Covid-19 however? Noone is immune, it would have spread like a wildfire. Much faster than the flu and many more would have experienced severe symptoms because of how many people are potentially able to be infected at one given time (technically everyone who comes in contact with it.) Even if thats not a fatality, that's still enough to send far more to the hospital than the healthcare system is capable of handling as the percentage of people who experience complicated or severe symptoms are also higher than the flu and many times more people will be infected at one given time.

Quote:
Lets say infections drop and hardly anyone was infected. Then what?
I personally think its going to be a bumpy ride. My personal opinion is it will subside in the summer and everyone will come out of hiding, then come fall there will be another surge into the winter causing yet another shutdown. It's probably just going to be a rough road until immunity builds up or some sort of vaccine is designed. One decent thing we have in our favor is the Coronavirus family does not mutate as quickly as the flu.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-11-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 09:50 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,571,627 times
Quote:
Even according to your own incredibly messed up value of “human life is directly exchangeable for money”, you’re laughably wrong. Here’s a reminder from two pages ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Also, here's a quote from your thoughts on cancelling SXSW because of COVID-19:

Considering that holding Mardi Gras in New Orleans (two weeks prior to when SXSW was even supposed to begin) is responsible for deaths numbering in the hundreds so far, it's safe to say that, in addition to having misplaced priorities, you have missed the calls on everything concerning this virus due to consuming biased media.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:30 PM

The U.S. just overtook Italy at over 2,000 deaths per day and 20,000 deaths total. That's already more than half of what the flu killed in the U.S. between 2018 and 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-52258284

Old 04-12-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Even according to your own incredibly messed up value of “human life is directly exchangeable for money”, you’re laughably wrong. Here’s a reminder from two pages ago.
you may not want to admit it, but every day you make choices to not save human lives, therefore put a price on human lives.

You could save a child in africa for under $100. You choose to spend your money on luxuries and therefore have put a value on those lives at under $100.

The federal govt uses a number of around $8million per life saved. I havent bothered to respond to your posts because they are full of emotion so it was pointless to respond.

the financial impact of mardi gras I believe is comparable to SXSW, over 4 weeks instead of about 10 days. I believe that everyone will need to get infected and the deaths are going to happen anyway. The main thing we are avoiding is hospitals getting flooded. New orleans hospitals arent flooded and they might have hit the current peak without getting flooded. I believe they made a reasonable choice. There is no alternate history for SXSW, but I think we could still have had it, had more deaths now instead of later, and put many people in a much better financial position to weather the recession.

Would you cancel SXSW to save 1 person? 10 people? Where is the cutoff? I laid out a way that the federal govt makes those calculations.

Anyone that has been spared so far will eventually get infected unless they isolate for the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin