Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 04:20 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

I was just at the Randall's in Steiner Ranch to get a prescription for my husband. Wasn't crowded, but shelves were empty. I had to wait for a little bit for the script to be ready, so I sort of looked around. No eggs, no bread, no baby formula or diapers, no toilet paper, tissues, or paper towels, no cleaning supplies or bleach, and the canned food, pasta, etc. aisles were pretty bare too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 04:42 PM

319 posts, read 346,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think we've had the virus in the Austin area since early February. Voices are now being heard, of people who very likely had it (and have recovered or are recovering, but it's been a long haul). Their symptoms match the virus, they were tested for flu and strep but couldn't get tested for Corona by their doctor, presumedly because there weren't any tests available.
First I heard of this. Can you provide a source of " Voices are now being heard"?

Old 03-15-2020, 04:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Did I mention that the first thing you see when entering the Home Depot was a promotional display with coupons for various cleaning items? Scott towels, etc and coupons for each. Of course, you could NOT find those items anywhere in the store!!!
Timing
is
everything.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
First I heard of this. Can you provide a source of " Voices are now being heard"?
This is what I have been thinking for a while. I really think it’s been around longer than we realized but people who got it thought it was something else. Just my suspicion.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:08 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Data or a reliable source should be a simple requirement for discussing this issue. " Voices are now being heard" should be kept to yourself.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Data or a reliable source should be a simple requirement for discussing this issue. " Voices are now being heard" should be kept to yourself.
I completely disagree. These are my actual friends, and "friend of friends", who have been sick with a debilitating hacking dry cough for a few weeks, and when they asked to be tested for the Corona virus, they were told they wouldn't be, although they were tested for common viruses and strep and those tests were negative, and they had fevers. One is in her first trimester of pregnancy and is very worried about the outcome.

I'm not going to apologize for posting this. This is what I've witnessed.

M1. There isn't "data". The tests haven't been available in Austin. All we can rely on is people's carefully told stories.

And it's clear no one has died from this in Austin.

I believe the people, and I believe the virus has been in our community since the first of February. And we aren't all dying in the streets. By and large, we're all soldiering on, although some have hacking coughs and fevers.

We'll get through this, although a few fragile people will pass away, most of us will hack and cough and be fine in about a month.

Now that tests have finally arrived, and there's a drive up testing center near the Domain as of last Friday, we'll get a better picture of where the cases are, and the number of those infected.

And we'll all just keep moving on. And by June, this will be a fading memory.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-15-2020 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
The Spanish flu of 1918 hit hard that winter & spring, laid low for the summer, then returned in the fall to kill many more, albeit at a lower rate.
It almost killed my father & grandpa. Luckily my grandma didn’t get infected.

Being mid-70s elderly, the wife & I (I have cardiovascular disease) will self quarantine for at least two months. Nobody comes into our house, not even family. Our excursions will be mainly to pick up regular prescriptions at CVS via drive through. Of course we’ll drive around the area and walk the trails, but avoid contact.

Scoff if you want, I don’t care.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:18 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
I personally caught something this late January which I thought was the flu, topped with the cedar season, I was a mess. I couldn't even breathe at times and had to go to one of the emergency clinics who prescribed me prednizone and antibiotics. I really think it was mostly allergies with a seasonal flu but not really sure... it was definitely one of my worser ones as it was impossible to go without albuterol and my lungs felt like a truck was sitting on them for about 2 weeks.

I still kind of doubt it was Covid-19 because my contact with the outside world is pretty rare but who knows.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:26 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally caught something this late January which I thought was the flu, topped with the cedar season, I was a mess. I couldn't even breathe at times and had to go to one of the emergency clinics who prescribed me prednizone and antibiotics. I really think it was mostly allergies with a seasonal flu but not really sure... it was definitely one of my worser ones as it was impossible to go without albuterol and my lungs felt like a truck was sitting on them for about 2 weeks.

I still kind of doubt it was Covid-19 because my contact with the outside world is pretty rare but who knows.
Did you have a fever and was your cough dry? If not it wasn’t the virus. This is what, year two for you here? Welcome to Austin.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:08 AM

242 posts, read 206,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I’m single and go through a roll a week.

And emergency Easter candy because why not.
Why does a single adult needs Easter candy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin