U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 6,341,756 times

Advertisements

Isn't Austin subject to occasional hail storms? With hail as big as baseballs, or golf balls, or whatever? What happens to the folks who are trying to be green by intalling solar panels on their roofs? Is this a reason not to go solar, or a reason not to live in Texas if you want to go solar? Perhaps there are systems now that are not prone to damage by hail. Does anyone have information on this problem?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM

14,439 posts, read 31,754,973 times
There are solar panels that are hail protected (plexiglass or some variation of it), but I suspect it a) adds cost and b) lowers efficiency somewhat.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 AM

233 posts, read 989,353 times
I looked into solar panels last year and this was a major concern. With such a long payback period and such a high cost per panel hail seemed like a sizeable risk. I think before I would go PV I would look into geothermal heat pumps which seem to provide the biggest bang for the buck.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 AM

14,439 posts, read 31,754,973 times
This technology is still a couple years out, but is having very promising results, some of which show a competitive price with grid power by ~2010 or so:
HelioVolt - Solar Power. From the Ground Up - Home

Ignoring the rah, rah! tone of the site, the actual product is a flexible silcon based film that should be manufcatured at very low costs.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,922,518 times
Interesting info! We're interested in greening up whatever house we buy. It didn't occur to me to think about hail damage.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 PM
aqn

3 posts, read 13,816 times
Default Re: Hail, breaking even, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Isn't Austin subject to occasional hail storms? With hail as big as baseballs, or golf balls, or whatever? What happens to the folks who are trying to be green by intalling solar panels on their roofs? Is this a reason not to go solar, or a reason not to live in Texas if you want to go solar? Perhaps there are systems now that are not prone to damage by hail. Does anyone have information on this problem?
A cursory research shows info such as Austin Energy's FAQ:

which says:
"...temperatures ranging from -13 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit."

"Solar energy system modules have passed a standard set of tests for durability and are built to withstand winds of up to 125 miles per hour and 1-inch hail."
Quote:
Originally Posted by austifornian View Post
I looked into solar panels last year and this was a major concern. With such a long payback period and such a high cost per panel hail seemed like a sizeable risk. I think before I would go PV I would look into geothermal heat pumps (broken link) which seem to provide the biggest bang for the buck.
Payback horizon depends on your usage, local and seasonal cost of electricity, and availability of rebates. For Austin, Austin Energy rebates $4.50 per watt of capacity up to a max of $13,500. For 2008, there is a $2000 Fed tax credit. For me, altogether, that works out to break-even in about 10 years.

Also remember that not all kW/hour you use cost the same. In our case (City of Austin Utilities), the first 500 kW/h each month is billed at a lower rate than usage above that. For example, recently, the first 500 kW/h cost $0.355 each kW/h; above that each kW/h costs 0.0602.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-03-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 PM

20,825 posts, read 41,240,350 times
I'm holding out for nansolar, myself.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 PM

7,233 posts, read 14,443,309 times
One inch hail is pretty big! We are considering solar panels, I wouldn't let hail deter you. Most hail is smaller than an inch. I've lived in the same house for 7 years, we have had occasional hail, but smaller than one inch and no roof damage. Two neighbors have solar panels, they have never been damaged.

I might worry more if I was in the Hill Country. They seem to get more hail out that way. Central city, not so much.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM

519 posts, read 1,593,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I might worry more if I was in the Hill Country. They seem to get more hail out that way. Central city, not so much.
I guess you don't live near Hyde Park. Seems like one out of three homes have required new roofs after the fierce hailstorm last May.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 PM

7,233 posts, read 14,443,309 times
Oh, that's true. I remember that.

Yes, I live in south Austin and have for nearly 18 years, don't even remember the last hailstorm that caused much damage!! (And it is getting to be that I don't remember the last time it rained either)

Still hail is so hit and miss, I don't think I'd let it influence a decision on solar panels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: