Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 02:41 PM

356 posts, read 409,387 times

Advertisements

So I get a toll bill from TxTag for a particular license plate. I had that plate on my car five years ago, when Tx DMV sent me new plates. The old ones went in the trash. In fact, that particular car is no longer even in Texas, and doesn't have Texas plates anymore. It looks like someone fished that old plate out of the trash and put it on their car! Is this common? Are old license plates supposed to be destroyed more securely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 03:46 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
So I get a toll bill from TxTag for a particular license plate. I had that plate on my car five years ago, when Tx DMV sent me new plates. The old ones went in the trash. In fact, that particular car is no longer even in Texas, and doesn't have Texas plates anymore. It looks like someone fished that old plate out of the trash and put it on their car! Is this common? Are old license plates supposed to be destroyed more securely?
Just in general I've always kept my old plates in the event that I purchase another vehicle and want to reuse them. Did you notify tx-tag and disable the plate on your account?

Old 04-20-2020, 06:05 PM

I don't even have a TxTag account. Not sure where they get the ID, as the DMV knows better.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I don't even have a TxTag account. Not sure where they get the ID, as the DMV knows better.
In that case I'd call TX-TAG and explain that its no longer your tag then try to rectify it with the DMV.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
And, yes, destroy the plates unless you are keeping them(somewhere safe). You REALLY don't want the PO-lice dropping by your house because your plates were on a vehicle used in a serious crime.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
And, yes, destroy the plates unless you are keeping them(somewhere safe). You REALLY don't want the PO-lice dropping by your house because your plates were on a vehicle used in a serious crime.
You'd like to believe the DMV would have asked you to do that when they sent new plates if they thought it important. Most people don't have any ability to destroy license plates.

As to rectifying with the DMV, there is nothing to rectify. The DMV *knows* that plate is defunct, and the car it used to be on isn't even in Texas anymore. It's TxTag who screwed up. I tried to call TxTag, and was faced with a 50 minute wait time! Sent them a text note instead. They are using a long-outdated list of license plates, evidently.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You'd like to believe the DMV would have asked you to do that when they sent new plates if they thought it important. Most people don't have any ability to destroy license plates.
I found it slightly interesting that when we had white or silver vehicles, Texas had the old red, white and blue plates that didn't match worth a darn. Then we get a nice blue car and our new tags were the current black on white...dang!

It took some bending back and forth; but I was able to "cut" the plates in half when it was time to retire them.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just in general I've always kept my old plates in the event that I purchase another vehicle and want to reuse them. Did you notify tx-tag and disable the plate on your account?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. When you get new plates, they have a new identifier on them. As far as DMV is concerned, your old plates don't belong to your car anymore. You purchase another vehicle and the DMV will sure as hell want new plates on it. A plate is car-specific. That, at least, is partly why stealing plates won't work. If the DMV has the plate registered to a 2012 Honda Civic, you'd better not let them see those plates on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. In fact, the plates are VIN-specific.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make a lot of sense. When you get new plates, they have a new identifier on them. As far as DMV is concerned, your old plates don't belong to your car anymore. You purchase another vehicle and the DMV will sure as hell want new plates on it. A plate is car-specific. That, at least, is partly why stealing plates won't work. If the DMV has the plate registered to a 2012 Honda Civic, you'd better not let them see those plates on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. In fact, the plates are VIN-specific.
Yeah I noticed here in TX it seems to work in the way that the DMV sends new tags to the dealer you purchased from when the dealer registers the car to you when purchasing a new vehicle. Where I lived before I moved here, you could just bring old or unused tags to the DMV for any new vehicle rather than paying for new ones. The tags could be exchanged between vehicles basically.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:

We've had a similar discussion on C-D before. We had one set of plates on three different vehicles and another set on two vehicles before we were (incorrectly) told the plates could NOT transfer to a third purchase. That's how we ended up with black/white plates on our first BLUE car
Prior to that, we "enjoyed" having sequential numbers on our two vehicles' plates. As I recall, it was also cheaper to transfer the plates from the traded vehicle to the new one...just couldn't put it on until the actual registration papers were received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: