Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 07:49 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,875 times

Advertisements

We initially asked the neighbor to stop but they don't seem to give a ****. Called 311 last night due to partying next door all night and day and were advised there was no noise ordinance so they couldn't do anything. They make noise all night and day. Anyone successfully deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 08:31 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
If you are not in a municipality, there is little you can do regarding the noise. Are they violating the quarantine rules related to maximum size gatherings? Not quite sure if that is by municipality or by state at the moment, though.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:45 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
It seems as if, at a state level, we do have a disorderly conduct law which protects against volumes over 85 decibels.

https://www.erictorberson.com/texas-noise-violation/

Not sure how loud that is in comparison to your neighbors though, however;

Quote:
If you live outside the city limits in Texas you can report loud music. The Texas disorderly conduct statute punishes the person making unreasonable noise in or near a private residence that they have no right to occupy.

DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

5) makes unreasonable noise in a public place other than a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code, or in or near a private residence that he has no right to occupy;

(1) an act is deemed to occur in a public place or near a private residence if it produces its offensive or proscribed consequences in the public place or near a private residence; and

(2) a noise is presumed to be unreasonable if the noise exceeds a decibel level of 85 after the person making the noise receives notice from a magistrate or peace officer that the noise is a public nuisance.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
TBH not sure how well that will hold up, given they technically do have a right to occupy their own residence.. ..the only thing that may save you is the 85 decibels if its loud enough.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:26 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
we used to live in unincorporated travis county before pflugerville annexed. call the travis county sheriff's office. they'll send an officer out, whenever they can get to it. they do come. it may or may not work.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
we used to live in unincorporated travis county before pflugerville annexed. call the travis county sheriff's office. they'll send an officer out, whenever they can get to it. they do come. it may or may not work.
Tried. They didn't care said there was no ordinance for noise and told us to kick rocks.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Tried. They didn't care said there was no ordinance for noise and told us to kick rocks.
Not saying to do this, but my wife (before we were married) lived in an unicorporated area of Wilco, and when she had a problem with parties all night next door... she called the sheriff’s office and said she saw some underage drinking and drug use. They sent tons of cops and even the helicopter! They moved out shortly after that.

Not sure if Travis Co would respond differently, or if the CV would affect their response.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
APD won’t do diddly about that, so there is no reason to think Sally Hernandez would either.

Are these noisy trash just renters, or owners of the property? If renters, notify the owner about the problem and if you are lucky they might get rid of them. But that could be tricky with the current crisis.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
APD won’t do diddly about that, so there is no reason to think Sally Hernandez would either.

Are these noisy trash just renters, or owners of the property? If renters, notify the owner about the problem and if you are lucky they might get rid of them. But that could be tricky with the current crisis.
Ok, then say they are using racial slurs and shooting endangered owls. The concept is the same.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:54 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,648 times
Wow, I feel for you! Same thing happened to me many years ago living in unincorporated Travis County. I was renting a house and the owners of the house behind me partied weekly in their backyard, usually starting late in the evening on a week night. Drove me nuts. I found out then that I was at the mercy and whims of the Sheriff's Dept. as to whether they would answer a noise complaint. They were understaffed and just would never make it out to shut down the party. Ever. I was ready to buy anyway, so I moved out and bought a house. I tried to ask the d-bags if they would tone it down, but to no avail. They totally ignored me. I will always be careful about being in an unincorporated area again, just for this very reason. I either had to tough it out, or leave, cuz they weren't gonna. They found their niche where they could be douches and get away with it. And they knew it.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:40 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Ok, then say they are using racial slurs and shooting endangered owls. The concept is the same.
Or one of them squashed a blind salamander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin