Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,746 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been renting for the last year and am considering purchasing in the 78704 area code. Specifically the new condo development The Willa, by Storybuilt. I was curious if anyone is in the same boat/has any experience with the builder.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 PM

12,892 posts, read 13,205,259 times
Do not know the builder at all, but after checking out the project’s website & plans, it looks like a really cool setup. The talented architect has done a great job in the condo layouts making them very practical & livable, IMO. Residential floor plans have been sort of a hobby for me over the past 60 years - yeah, I’m old. Lol

Pretty awesome that there is an historic Moonlight tower on the corner and the popular trailer food park is right across the street. Plus the excellent location is just maybe a 5 minute bike ride down to LB Lake.

You might want to think about considering a rear facing unit to lessen the street noise though.

Good luck, and I envy your endeavor.

For the record, I have no connection to the builder or anyone involved with the project. This is the first I’ve heard of it, even though one of my sons lives just off South 1st - but south of Ben White Blvd. (71)

Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,469,797 times
Will there be a brother complex named William? Are they out of names? The Willa?
I live at The Willa????

Old 05-08-2020, 10:14 AM

Better than Willies

Old 05-08-2020, 11:24 AM

242 posts, read 204,479 times
Or something a little more upscale sounding, like the "Willa Costa"

as in "it Willa Costa lot of money to live here"

Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Old 05-10-2020, 10:56 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,998,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjk88 View Post
Hello all,

I've been renting for the last year and am considering purchasing in the 78704 area code. Specifically the new condo development The Willa, by Storybuilt. I was curious if anyone is in the same boat/has any experience with the builder.

Thanks!

Regardless of which condo development attracts you, they do all share the same set of risks.

1) Contracts severely favor the developer/builder.

2) Construction issues happen at every project, some affecting the community as a whole, and others only specific units. There is no way to predict or know these as one of the first owners until you move in.

3) Fixed overhead is very high on any condo. This is true on resale as well. It's a subjective excercise, but you have to take the $300-$700 per month, figure out what you get that you actually value, then compare to a small cottage in the neighborhood with no HOA and you do your own yard, etc.

4) Condos are the first to suffer and the last to recover during economic declines. Austin seems healthy at present in that regard, but still, nothing beats a free standing fee simply home as an investment, IMHO.

5) Unknowable at present, but the construction industry and current work flows and processes have been disrupted by CV-19. Even quality builders with tried and true systems and subcontractors cannot escape CV19 and its effects. This would make me double-cautious about quality control and build quality questions.

Just some food for thought. Not saying its a good or bad project to buy into, just the questions I'd ask myself.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

5) Unknowable at present, but the construction industry and current work flows and processes have been disrupted by CV-19. Even quality builders with tried and true systems and subcontractors cannot escape CV19 and its effects. This would make me double-cautious about quality control and build quality questions.

Just some food for thought. Not saying its a good or bad project to buy into, just the questions I'd ask myself.
Interesting that we have two condo complexes under construction on either end of Avery Ranch Blvd way up here. One is roughly double the number of units vs the other; but the larger complex is completing and closing on units one quad-plex at a time, more or less. The other has been completing each stage of construction(before moving on to the next phase) in all units and I don't believe any have been occupied yet. As it turns out, a "few" of the units in the larger have occupants, while the rest of the complex is barely framed out. Contrast this with the other complex with the exteriors finished but not any ready for occupancy.

Quite a difference in the approaches taken. The smaller 'hood was essentially sold out before the roofs were on. I'm not sure if the other(more expensive) complex has had that sort of sales to date. Hmmmm.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 3,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Will there be a brother complex named William? Are they out of names? The Willa?
I live at The Willa????
It's actually named after a yellow lab rescue at one of the Austin animal shelters. Her name is Willa.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjk88 View Post
It's actually named after a yellow lab rescue at one of the Austin animal shelters. Her name is Willa.
I wonder if she's the same one in the song....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghj5V5cUo1s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: