U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:18 PM

6,782 posts, read 12,162,805 times

Advertisements

a 50 state system has strengths and weaknesses. People always overestimate their ability to get the right answer so they want a dictatorship to enforce what they believe is the right solution.

Systems are incredibly complex and no one truly knows the right answer. The 50 state system lets us see what is working the best, then all the states can adopt it.

Within a state, the state can allow school districts to determine what they want to do. This can be chaotic, but can end up much faster at the best system.

We have illinois and california enacting uniform lockdowns across the entire state. Where Texas is trying to open up. It could be wrong but it doesnt mean it was a bad strategy.

The great thing is if it works, then california and illinois can switch to the texas strategy. If it doesnt, we can see how california and illinois are getting better results and make a shutdown more like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 03:41 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
With the political polarization of this nation I would be shocked to find those states to so much as use the same brand of ink pens let alone adopt eachothers strategies.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:59 PM

21 posts, read 39,252 times
Been pondering this question hardcore as of late. My kid is finishing her first year of high school at Anderson and I've been watching her "distance learning" since they sent them home in March until now. Honestly, not real impressed with what I'm seeing with the remote learning but more than willing to give AISD a pass since this caught all of us off guard. My hope is AISD is using this time to revamp and improve their remote learning programs as my best guess is our kids will be back at home in short order if we physically send them to school when it starts up again in August. It's only going to take one kid or faculty member testing positive to either have them all sent home again or for parents to pull them anyway. Only thing I've seen out of AISD so far are possible schedule changes for next year with larger vacation windows in the winter in case the virus surges again. I've also seen ideas related to more of a "year round" school schedule so there's more windows available to ride out virus spikes. What I haven't seen yet are ideas for improved remote learning programs that provide more structure for the kids and greater teacher input and participation. If we are all forced into remote learning again when next year starts, and it's basically the same system I've been witnessing to date, I'll most likely home school as we are fortunate enough with our jobs to have that option. Perhaps there are local private schools that are better able to provide remote learning due to smaller classes and I'd love to hear from anyone that has been impressed with the remote curriculum they've experienced since March. But...I'm betting once parents realize their kids will be remote learning again next year and seek private school options the wait lists will be massive at that point.

No easy answers with this one. Hope I'm wrong about schools closing down quickly if we send our kids back in August but all current evidence is pointing to that outcome from my vantage point. (Ex: current nursing home and prison virus challenges...)

Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 PM

16 posts, read 7,680 times
I can imagine distance learning to be somewhat workable for older kids, some obviously will get more out of it than others, but my worries are greater for the younger kids (I have a 3, 5, 8 yr olds) - how are parents going to work if they have to stay home with the kids? Homeschooling is a full-time job. Whether a co-op, private school, or public school, it seems inevitable that someone will test positive, then it will be shut down, then it resumes, then someone tests positive...

Smaller classes, greater distancing within the school might help - but that's a sea change, logistically. I hope someone can solve it, because I'll be homeschooling if AISD goes to distance learning at all levels.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:53 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBTEX View Post
Been pondering this question hardcore as of late. My kid is finishing her first year of high school at Anderson and I've been watching her "distance learning" since they sent them home in March until now. Honestly, not real impressed with what I'm seeing with the remote learning but more than willing to give AISD a pass since this caught all of us off guard. My hope is AISD is using this time to revamp and improve their remote learning programs as my best guess is our kids will be back at home in short order if we physically send them to school when it starts up again in August. It's only going to take one kid or faculty member testing positive to either have them all sent home again or for parents to pull them anyway. Only thing I've seen out of AISD so far are possible schedule changes for next year with larger vacation windows in the winter in case the virus surges again. I've also seen ideas related to more of a "year round" school schedule so there's more windows available to ride out virus spikes. What I haven't seen yet are ideas for improved remote learning programs that provide more structure for the kids and greater teacher input and participation. If we are all forced into remote learning again when next year starts, and it's basically the same system I've been witnessing to date, I'll most likely home school as we are fortunate enough with our jobs to have that option. Perhaps there are local private schools that are better able to provide remote learning due to smaller classes and I'd love to hear from anyone that has been impressed with the remote curriculum they've experienced since March. But...I'm betting once parents realize their kids will be remote learning again next year and seek private school options the wait lists will be massive at that point.

No easy answers with this one. Hope I'm wrong about schools closing down quickly if we send our kids back in August but all current evidence is pointing to that outcome from my vantage point. (Ex: current nursing home and prison virus challenges...)

Education Austin, along with the city have a large pot of money set aside for some emergency funds/future funding. Immediately, these funds have been set aside to ramp up food distribution and food insecurity, but in the future (near future, hopefully) it will be used to increase the "virtual" world. Since I'm not a teacher, I can't speak to what that means, but my insider knowledge and awareness of the funds is that some will go towards virtual learning.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:16 PM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
Some of the teachers (many) have kids that suddenly weren't in school/daycare, which creates a problem for their teaching, as well.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBTEX View Post

the problem with remote learning is not that AISD isnt capable, but that the philosophy is that no one can have better than the lowest common denominator. There are many kids with no internet so it wouldnt be "fair" to teach zoom classes using internet.

We are at magellan and their zoom classes are great. Even my first grader has a 3-4 hours of online every day, mixed in with offline videos to watch, PE to go do, etc.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 AM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
They are doing Zoom classes, though.

Conventional wisdom seems to indicate that a couple hours a day of formal learning is equavilent to a 'day of school' for elementary school kids.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
They are doing Zoom classes, though.

Conventional wisdom seems to indicate that a couple hours a day of formal learning is equavilent to a 'day of school' for elementary school kids.
Many AISD teachers gave up on video classes because kids werent showing up. One of my friends only has zoom classes 2 days a week.

RRISD only started video classes 2 weeks ago

Old 05-17-2020, 05:48 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,445,123 times
A bigger issue is inequity. AISD will be delivering g chrome books throughout the summer. That doesn’t even mean the kids will have internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or