U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 06:53 AM

21 posts, read 10,676 times

Advertisements

Gotcha, sorry. Alright yes, to clarify a few more points. No kids, we want to be close to the night life (if there is any during Covid-19), not really looking to be in the suburbs, no pets, jobs are pretty stable. I don't think rent price will be an issue compared to what we were paying in NYC for a hole in the wall.

Thanks again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 07:00 AM

Really? from most of the financial news and tech news I hear, they wont stop talking about how Austin is becoming the Fintech hub of the USA. Also you hear Amazon moving jobs to Austin as we clearly lost the HQ2 of Amazon in NYC. You also hear about Tesla moving away from California and relocating to Texas. Other companies moving to Texas because of taxes and the lists goes on.

1) how much do you want to pay? between the two of us we might be able to pay $2.5k to $3k
2) what do you like to do? we like to socialize, night life is a big thing for us and I hear Austin has a decent one.
3) how much space do you want? relatively enough, but not suburbs type of space.
4) condo or house? I would say for now a Condo sounds like a better idea, we also look forward to meeting people once this pandemic is over.
5) rent or buy? rent for now.

Thanks a lot

Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 AM

Thank you DTXman34, this is very helpful and clear response, as I was mentioning earlier. From what I hear on the financial news and tech news, they wont stop talking about how Austin is becoming the Fintech hub of the USA. You hear some of the FANG companies moving jobs there? again I am not 100% sure but this is what we hear in NYC.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 AM

gotcha, any place will have pros and cons, I appreciate the help, but this is the second post I make and people didnt even help before they just told me to do my own research... whats the point of having a forum then?

you feel me? thanks

Old 05-14-2020, 07:09 AM

I am not sure I follow, are you asking me?

Old 05-14-2020, 07:30 AM

6,918 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticbags View Post
Hi There,

My friend and I both live in NYC and are planning to relocate to Austin, as it turns out we can work remotely and not pay the insane amount of money in rent, utilities and taxes in NYC. We have decided Austin to be the place to try and we are looking for a few recommendations.

Have you been to Austin before? Are you choosing this city because of the things you hear on the internet?

Here are the questions we have:

1-) Where to live? We make about $90k - $95k each, We are both in our mid twenties, we are both males, single and straight and would be looking to live somewhere according to those demographics. We are very progressive and open minded people but this is just in terms of our life style and preferences.

You can live downtown. Downtown will be fine. My top choice, because I'm active and love running and my dog would be the Catherine. It's right across the street from a primo dog park and a 10 mile loop trail. I've heard a few people compare the area to Central Park, but I've never been to New York.

2-) Do we need a car? The few things NYC can offer is transportation and we wish it was the same in Austin. Is it necessary to own a car? if it is what would be the cheapest most convenient method and if not, what transportation systems you recommend?

10000000000% a car. You can uber and lyft places and with your income maybe that would be feasible. But, if you live downtown and are hip and cool you will meet friends and want to go to the Domain at some point.

3-) How do you see the job market in Austin right now? We both work for a large investment bank and might try looking for other types of white collar jobs. Maybe in finance or technology. What do you think?

This is where I'm going to come across a bit rude. I know my field is not the same and my insight is a bit dated now that I moved here in 2015. I lived in San Antonio, a two hour drive. It took me six months to land a job that paid 37k. I now make closer 20 60k, but I also have a masters degree and gained a ton of experience since then, so it's appropriate. Again, I'm in social work. I am a member of a facebook group, try searching for it, it's called Girls New 2 Austin. Try a search of the group and see all the people who say they've been here for months and haven't found a job yet. Sure, you can work remotely and be a "digital nomad." That's cool. But, if you move here with intentions of having your job and then immediately jumping into something Austin based it's not going to work.

4-) Bars and restaurants? any places that are a must try? obviously hoping after they re-open.

Rainey, 6th street, Manor road, Manchaca road (in the future), the Domain, anything in 78704.

Thanks!
I'm going to come at you with a very real, millenial response here and I apologize if it comes across as rude or snarky, it's the reality I see and I have lived. I am not in a tech/finance job and could only dream to make 95k if I worked for the VA as a clinical social worker. Please see bolded responses.

Quote:
gotcha, any place will have pros and cons, I appreciate the help, but this is the second post I make and people didnt even help before they just told me to do my own research... whats the point of having a forum then?

you feel me? thanks
The reason I, and maybe a few other people told you to do a search, is because this question, specifically from people from the northeast, younger people and people looking to move here because they've "heard" Austin is great, is asked all the time (like I said). Search "New York" "relocate" "downtown" "rent," anything like that and you'll find a plethora of responses provided by forum members within the last few months.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:32 AM

6,784 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
Lost my job in li ny due to covid forcing early retirement.

How much so you want to pay?

Up to $1500 rent a month or near 350k to buy

What do you like to do?

Walking
Nightlife
Biking
Swimming
Dining out

How much space do I want

600to1400 sqft

Condo or house

Condo

Rent or buy

Either ok
I like modern

Any ideas?
you should probably start your own thread, but I personally like the east side for singles who want affordable walkability. I think in the next 6 months prices will come down, but you can already find things close to your price range. Look for as close to 1st street and I35 as you can afford. Also the closer to plaza saltillo, the easier it will be to take a train into downtown. It is only one stop, but I think adds some convenience.

Also try to a buy a lot that hasnt been split. If you can get one, you can get immediate value by splitting it. Lots that havent been split dont necessarily cost substantially more than lots that have been split. you can tell by the size and if it is a #A./#B

Last edited by Austin97; 05-14-2020 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-14-2020, 07:39 AM

6,784 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Quote:
Thank you DTXman34, this is very helpful and clear response, as I was mentioning earlier. From what I hear on the financial news and tech news, they wont stop talking about how Austin is becoming the Fintech hub of the USA. You hear some of the FANG companies moving jobs there? again I am not 100% sure but this is what we hear in NYC.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.
that sounds like marketing. Austin's biggest non-govt industry is tech and we are still a backwater for tech.

Austin is a very small town with some big city amenities. I still run into people I know all over town.

If you want glossy, live downtown, if you want gritty and up and coming with all the trendy new restaurants, then the east side.

Downtown has stagnated because it is so expensive, but is still a reasonable place to live. The east side has small target, a small whole foods, and most of the new restaurants. There is tons of supply so I think that artists/musicians etc will all be on the east side (east of I35, north of the river).

The rents downtown arent as cheap as you might expect, but rents should be dropping soon.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:01 AM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
Regarding the finance tech comments, I couldnt tell if the OP was inferring finance & tech as two seperate specializations or if he was meaning specifically FinTech (technology in Finance). Either way Austin is definitely a strong tech hub but very little, if any of it is FinTech, and almost none of it is Finance. I think we do have Visa but that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Yes there are alot of tech companies relocating here but Austin's strongest tech sectors are innovation and government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The reason I, and maybe a few other people told you to do a search, is because this question, specifically from people from the northeast, younger people and people looking to move here because they've "heard" Austin is great, is asked all the time (like I said). Search "New York" "relocate" "downtown" "rent," anything like that and you'll find a plethora of responses provided by forum members within the last few months.
I've always thought the reason was to put a tagline so you can search and tally the Austin relocations later

Okay seriously

I'd say a combined income of nearly $200k a year moving from a place as expensive and hectic as NYC, Austin would pretty much be a dream land. Infact even without that kind of income I'd think many would probably prefer Austin over NYC unless high density transit orientated living was a lifestyle they absolutely must keep. While I get the whole 'Why Austin' argument, sometimes I cant help but feel like you're underestimating what Austin offers to people from much larger metros... I mean yea we dont have the transit, density or mega city downtown but the place offers alot of things to do for a city its size and although traffic is bad it's nothing compared to places like NYC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, even Atlanta. I just dont think Austin is as bad of a place to relocate to as some posters seem to persuade.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:01 AM

187 posts, read 135,697 times
NYC has a better QOL tbh. Moving to Central Texas (think about that for a second) while having high paying jobs in a world class city that you don't have to commute for anyway is not worth it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin