Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times

Advertisements

You make it sound like living in Austin is going to be like a scene from a Spaghetti Western ("Central Texas", forsooth!)

For me, the quality of life in Austin would be thousands of times higher than in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 10:14 AM

21 posts, read 18,805 times
I agree, the quality of life cannot be worse anywhere in the world compared to NYC.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:35 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
NYC has a better QOL tbh. Moving to Central Texas (think about that for a second) while having high paying jobs in a world class city that you don't have to commute for anyway is not worth it IMO.
That's your opinion, I havent lived in NYC but I have lived in Chicago. I would take Austin without a second thought over Chicago...and would probably do the same over NYC as well.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:07 PM

181 posts, read 159,623 times
OP, some good advice already posted from others regarding where to live and hangout in Austin. However, I strongly encourage considering Dallas and Houston as alternatives; particularly if you are in investment banking. Dallas a has strong finance industry, and would be considered more cosmopolitan. Lot's more culture as well. Houston is world class, and has oil and gas investment shops. Yes, they are probably hurting right now, but when things rebound, you'll have some options. Cost of living is much better in Houston too.

Anyway, if you're gung-ho Austin, don't let me stop you. However, if you're indifferent to the greenbelt and outdoors; the other two offer way more than Austin in your scenario.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM

This is a very helpful advice, my friend was telling me today to consider Dallas as the finance industry is much stronger there. I will look into Dallas 100% thanks a lot!

Old 05-14-2020, 04:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Houston is a great city, but I’m not sure it’s where you want to be right now. They’ve had the 1-2 punch with Covid and the oil crash, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they get a third punch from a hurricane/flood this season.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:31 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,788 times
Just seeing this thread now.

Where to live-- agree with downtown or south Lamar.

Car- yes

Finance or Tech jobs--lots of tech jobs. Some finance, not as many as you'll find in Dallas. If your focus is technology, Austin has plenty. Finance jobs are less plentiful here, but fintech is growing.

Austin has a very different feel than Dallas or Houston, so a visit would be *really* helpful if you are on the fence among the three. It was crystal clear to me that Dallas & Houston wouldn't suit me, so that made the decision much easier.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Curious to know why you felt Dallas and Houston wouldnt suit you, why was that?

Old 05-15-2020, 07:39 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticbags View Post
Curious to know why you felt Dallas and Houston wouldnt suit you, why was that?
All three cities are very different. It is hard to explain until you spend time in each one. I will attempt to give a very simple description of how I see each of them:

Houston: HUGE!! Lots of people and real estate. Culturally diverse. Humid (close to Gulf of Mexico). Mild winters. Feels somehow older and more confident/secure than Dallas.

Dallas (you will hear/see Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) often. They are not the same. FW is the smaller, less sophisticated side): think Dallas Cowboy football, money and business, and upwardly-mobile and you will have a pretty good start. Cold (relatively) winters, hot summers, great plains thunderstorms.

Austin: hard to define. Lots of different people going in very different directions. Every genre you can imagine will be found there. Has a good university. State capital and all the stuff that goes along with that. Maybe the best weather of the three overall. Technology (Dell got the *mouse* ball rolling in the early 90's) lives alongside hippies.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Most New Yawkers have a hard time adjusting to Austin. They complain about lack of bagels, schmeer, pizza, and Jewish delis. They also complain when it's above 80 degrees which is a comfortable day in Austin (one of my ex girlfriends was saying "Oh it's so hot" when we were at the lake having a picnic on a nice 82 degree spring day, at the same time I was thinking it was a little cool in the shade with the breeze, lol). Here we don't complain unless it's above 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin