U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 07:25 AM

187 posts, read 135,697 times

Advertisements

OP it’s okay you can just say your partner and you, CD is very accepting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 PM

6,089 posts, read 7,240,967 times
Why Austin? Be aware that Austin is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING like NYC. The fact that you even asked if you need a car tells me you don't know what you are getting into. When things get back to normal, come visit. Do it in the glorious heat of August. Austin is not just a smaller city, it's more like a big town. I know there are things that you don't like about NYC, but I'm willing to bet that the you will miss the things you do like even more.

Day trip to the beach? Nope. Mountains? Nope. Seasons? Nope. Diversity? Not really. Museums? Barely. Food? Some bright spots but still plenty of voids. Hope you don't like bagels or delis. I could go on, but do a search. This has all been discussed ad nauseum.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 AM

6,917 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Why Austin? Be aware that Austin is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING like NYC. The fact that you even asked if you need a car tells me you don't know what you are getting into. When things get back to normal, come visit. Do it in the glorious heat of August. Austin is not just a smaller city, it's more like a big town. I know there are things that you don't like about NYC, but I'm willing to bet that the you will miss the things you do like even more.

Day trip to the beach? Nope. Mountains? Nope. Seasons? Nope. Diversity? Not really. Museums? Barely. Food? Some bright spots but still plenty of voids. Hope you don't like bagels or delis. I could go on, but do a search. This has all been discussed ad nauseum.
I think we’ve scared them off. They had a similar post in 2019 about Portland. They disappeared and then reappeared here about 18 months later with a similar question.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:26 PM

410 posts, read 354,051 times
If the OP is still around I'll add something I have heard over the years, "every big city in Texas is trying to be like another city":

Houston: LA
Dallas: NYC
Austin: San Francisco

Use that as a rough guide.

San Antonio is the exception that proves the rule, it is pure Texas to me.

It's been said (and dismissed by some), but do keep in mind that there is some belief that people from the Northeast have the hardest time adjusting here due to the extreme weather differences and different cultural amenities. Don't kid yourself, especially about the weather, I've been to NYC in August, and yeah it can suck, now imagine every day like the worst heat wave there for at least 4 months straight and that's a normal summer here. Every summer. Even compared to South America I don't think Texas is something to brush off. Speaking of which, another thing you will not find here is the kind of pan-Latin cultural offerings that exists on the east coast, here Latin American is basically Mexican. I'm not making a judgement on that, just another thing to be aware of.

I have to say the prospect of New Yorkers fleeing in mass and coming to every other American city is a little frightening, makes me think back to my younger days watching the Orioles at Camden yards play the Yankees when all the NYC people took the train down because it was cheaper to do that then watch in the new Yankee stadium -- real good at making you feel like you are the out of town-er in your own place.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:55 PM

2,371 posts, read 4,987,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post

I have to say the prospect of New Yorkers fleeing in mass and coming to every other American city is a little frightening,
I think this is a good point. I'm in Michigan and retired, but once this pandemic settles down, and relocating is possible again, I'm heading to the southwest for the rest of my retirement. My move is mostly about fleeing the harsh upper midwest winters.

But I do think that there will be a mass exodus out of the northeast. I recently read that an estimated 420,000 people (mostly 1%ers) already fled NYC in March and April when the pandemic and lockdowns started. I saw a map where they fled, and some of the places I recall were Dallas, Denver, North Carolina, and Florida. There were probably a dozen places on the list.

At any rate, I think the pandemic will accelerate the exodus out of the northeast for people looking for less density, lower costs of living and maybe less state government oppression (some would argue that oppressive lockdown measures have taken place in New York and other states). Some of these people fleeing will continue to work from home. Others who lose their jobs will look for other work in a lower cost place.

In any case, I think that big shifts in population movement will be one of many results of the current pandemic once we get to "the other side" of this, which could take a year or more for a vaccine or cure.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...gration-251715

Last edited by xz2y; 05-26-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 03:03 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
Well. To each their own... ...I'll just restate, for the OP's criteria I can see an argument especially given he may be a bit concerned about the weather and wants to live car-free. For me specifically though, I personally would much rather live in Austin (or just about any sunbelt city for that matter) than NYC. I've had the chance to move there but that kind of environment just doesn't really appeal to me.

For the case of Rust Belt metros in general, Our summers are brutal but if anyone has ever been snowed in by a blizzard, dealt with Lake Effect snow in the Great Lakes
region and had to shovel your way out of a driveway for half the year ontop of deal with ice and rust, I can gauruntee you will quickly appreciate a few months at 110* F.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:15 AM

34 posts, read 6,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

For the case of Rust Belt metros in general, Our summers are brutal but if anyone has ever been snowed in by a blizzard, dealt with Lake Effect snow in the Great Lakes
region and had to shovel your way out of a driveway for half the year ontop of deal with ice and rust, I can gauruntee you will quickly appreciate a few months at 110* F.
Great point! I lived in Minneapolis for a bit and while I didn't mind the climate it definitely impacts the commute. I'm no fan of the heat but I don't have to worry about the commute.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:08 PM

9,102 posts, read 9,091,930 times
Oh come now, we have very few days 110 & above.
No shortage of 100-105 though.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:29 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
TBH its no joke but there are times where I go back to Atlanta and 105 in Austin actually feels more bearable than 90 - 95 in Atlanta and its higher humidity... that or I've just turned a blind eye to it at this point, the summers here dont really bother me as much as I thought that they would. I was more surprised by how cold it could get here during the winter.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM

11,739 posts, read 10,494,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Honestly most days seem to be hovering at 97-98 up until late July and early August then the 100's are more common. I do however remember the 113 degree day.

Speaking of New Yorkers moving out, I found this article:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/these-...-never-return/

I'm guessing because of COVID-19 Austin is going to be seeing a lot of people from NYC.

Last edited by cBach; 05-27-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin