U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:28 PM
 
21 posts, read 10,676 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

Hi There,

My friend and I both live in NYC and are planning to relocate to Austin, as it turns out we can work remotely and not pay the insane amount of money in rent, utilities and taxes in NYC. We have decided Austin to be the place to try and we are looking for a few recommendations.

Here are the questions we have:

1-) Where to live? We make about $90k - $95k each, We are both in our mid twenties, we are both males, single and straight and would be looking to live somewhere according to those demographics. We are very progressive and open minded people but this is just in terms of our life style and preferences.

2-) Do we need a car? The few things NYC can offer is transportation and we wish it was the same in Austin. Is it necessary to own a car? if it is what would be the cheapest most convenient method and if not, what transportation systems you recommend?

3-) How do you see the job market in Austin right now? We both work for a large investment bank and might try looking for other types of white collar jobs. Maybe in finance or technology. What do you think?

4-) Bars and restaurants? any places that are a must try? obviously hoping after they re-open.

Thanks!

Last edited by Plasticbags; 05-13-2020 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
Reputation: 7140
1) Budget? But that aside, probably somewhere downtown or adjacent to downtown. Lots of nice condos. Alternatively, maybe Mueller (east but close to DT) or the Domain (north a bit further from DT). There are a ton of other options, but those are something to start with.

2) Almost certainly, but there are some people that do live DT w/o cars. But public transit is meager, the summers are blazing hot, and there are a ton of things to do that are not DT.

3) No idea, really. Someone else will have to chime in.

4) Hundreds of places. Go to 'old' sixth street once, so you know you are not missing anything. Then find something more age-appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,917 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Reputation: 4069
Try and search and then come back and ask some clarifying questions. These exact questions get asked at least once every few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 PM
 
21 posts, read 10,676 times
Reputation: 42
hey! thanks for the reply, we make about $95k each at the end of the year before taxes! so almost $200k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:50 PM
 
21 posts, read 10,676 times
Reputation: 42
what more clarity do you need? sorry if I dont spend all day in this website. these are very straight forward questions. If you get offended for being a veteran in city-data and my simple questions, then move on... dont need your help and clearly you dont want to give it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2020, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
Reputation: 7140
They aren't offended, just offering up advice .

Your OP is extremely broad - I mean, mid-20-somethings could be wildly different. Do you want to do outdoor stuff? Nightlife? Cyclist? Like theater or music stuff? A hundred other things would help people answer any questions.

I do not know DT costs (or Domain or Mueller, for that matter), but if you are splitting costs, make 190k, no kids/families/serious debt, you can live wherever you want, more or less. I am assuming you want to avoid the 'burbs, but who knows? If you really want to get into water sports, you may want to live out toward Lakeway, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 12:14 AM
 
6,780 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Reputation: 3431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticbags View Post
Hi There,

My friend and I both live in NYC and are planning to relocate to Austin, as it turns out we can work remotely and not pay the insane amount of money in rent, utilities and taxes in NYC. We have decided Austin to be the place to try and we are looking for a few recommendations.

Here are the questions we have:

1-) Where to live? We make about $90k - $95k each, We are both in our mid twenties, we are both males, single and straight and would be looking to live somewhere according to those demographics. We are very progressive and open minded people but this is just in terms of our life style and preferences.

2-) Do we need a car? The few things NYC can offer is transportation and we wish it was the same in Austin. Is it necessary to own a car? if it is what would be the cheapest most convenient method and if not, what transportation systems you recommend?

3-) How do you see the job market in Austin right now? We both work for a large investment bank and might try looking for other types of white collar jobs. Maybe in finance or technology. What do you think?

4-) Bars and restaurants? any places that are a must try? obviously hoping after they re-open.

Thanks!
Austin is incredibly weak in finance and there is little to no public transit. People from the east coast have the hardest time adjusting. Based on your caustic reply, I suspect you wouldnt really like austin.

Where to live will depend on your priorities

1) how much do you want to pay?
2) what do you like to do?
3) how much space do you want?
4) condo or house?
5) rent or buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 05:38 AM
 
2,061 posts, read 1,444,298 times
Reputation: 2385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticbags View Post
Hi There,

My friend and I both live in NYC and are planning to relocate to Austin, as it turns out we can work remotely and not pay the insane amount of money in rent, utilities and taxes in NYC. We have decided Austin to be the place to try and we are looking for a few recommendations.

Here are the questions we have:

1-) Where to live? We make about $90k - $95k each, We are both in our mid twenties, we are both males, single and straight and would be looking to live somewhere according to those demographics. We are very progressive and open minded people but this is just in terms of our life style and preferences.

2-) Do we need a car? The few things NYC can offer is transportation and we wish it was the same in Austin. Is it necessary to own a car? if it is what would be the cheapest most convenient method and if not, what transportation systems you recommend?

3-) How do you see the job market in Austin right now? We both work for a large investment bank and might try looking for other types of white collar jobs. Maybe in finance or technology. What do you think?

4-) Bars and restaurants? any places that are a must try? obviously hoping after they re-open.

Thanks!
1. Downtown would be fine on that salary. In fact, it's the only area in Austin that's even remotely considered "urban." The vast majority of the city is an ocean of strip malls, highways, parking lots, and general sprawl (think northern NJ).

2. Yes, absolutely! Austin has one of the worst public transit systems in Texas alone! However, if you live and work in Downtown, you won't have to rely on much driving. Keep in mind though that Downtown Austin is really a tiny bubble compared to the breadth of urbanity found in places such as NYC, Philly, DC or even smaller northeastern cities such as Boston, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

3. Austin is not the place for finance/large investment banks by any means. In Texas and the entire south-central region in general, it's Dallas hands down. For technology, it depends what you're looking for.

4. Austin has a great local scene (BBQ/TexMex) and notable for some new creative options, but it lags far behind when it comes to diverse options. This is not just in comparison to NYC, but also in Texas alone. You'll have to venture to Houston or Dallas if you want a more cosmopolitan dining experience. The same is true for nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 AM
 
Location: College Station, TX
329 posts, read 1,256,008 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticbags View Post
what more clarity do you need? sorry if I dont spend all day in this website. these are very straight forward questions. If you get offended for being a veteran in city-data and my simple questions, then move on... dont need your help and clearly you dont want to give it.
Dude...chill! Ashbeeigh was suggesting a search so you could find more reading material and more suggestions. They were not trying to be snarky.

Visit Austin. Spend a day with a realtor. Don't complain about the lack of public transportation, the heat, or our accent. Decide if you can live here without saying, "In NYC, _____ is better than this in every way!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2020, 06:13 AM
 
78 posts, read 22,443 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

Where to live will depend on your priorities

1) how much do you want to pay?
2) what do you like to do?
3) how much space do you want?
4) condo or house?
5) rent or buy?
Lost my job in li ny due to covid forcing early retirement.

How much so you want to pay?

Up to $1500 rent a month or near 350k to buy

What do you like to do?

Walking
Nightlife
Biking
Swimming
Dining out

How much space do I want

600to1400 sqft

Condo or house

Condo

Rent or buy

Either ok
I like modern

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top