Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 11:44 AM

242 posts, read 206,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm not really sure what you're saying or asking?
I'm asking "what is diversity" and how do we achieve it if we only use skin color as a metric. I would use the term "ethnicity" but even that is not diverse enough. There is no longer a moral obligation to include ethnic groups such as Italians, Slavic or Irish people to achieve "diversity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 11:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I guess in my mind, or way of seeing it, a segregated city is not "diverse", no matter the sum total percentages within it's total population.

Austin is very "White" with very few "mixed" neighborhoods. Those that are mixed are that way as a result of gentrification, which, by definition, supplants one ethnic/racial or economic group and replaces or starts shaping it to cater to better-off whites. But those whites feel good about themselves because of the neighborhood mix in their gentrified neighborhoods.

Austin is also very economically segregated, which is an objective fact easily verified by data. The economic segregation mirrors the white/other separation.

I will admit that my thoughts on "diversity" are somewhat fluid and not completely well formed. Meaning, I don't have a grand answer. When I was on the Board of Trustees at the private school my daughters attended, there was constant hand wringing about "how can we be more diverse?". To which I responded "are you talking about skin color diversity, cultural diversity, economic diversity, or what? Define it for me".

I concluded that well-off private school whites would just like to see more black/brown skin while walking the campus and within their other white environs. Not necessarily to benefit those people of color, but to assuage "white guilt".
I'm not a real fan of diversity for diversity's sake either. I like a more fluid diversification that happens with time vs. forced. A good example would be on the micro level of my cul de sac. When we moved to this house, we were the only non-White people. Over time, the original homeowners got older and moved on. We now have two mixed race families. No quotas being met, those families had the money and submitted the best offers. The neighborhood as a whole used to be probably 95% White but is less than that now (probably 85% at this point) due to the same dynamic - people move out, others move in.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:10 PM

242 posts, read 206,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm not a real fan of diversity for diversity's sake either. I like a more fluid diversification that happens with time vs. forced. A good example would be on the micro level of my cul de sac. When we moved to this house, we were the only non-White people. Over time, the original homeowners got older and moved on. We now have two mixed race families. No quotas being met, those families had the money and submitted the best offers. The neighborhood as a whole used to be probably 95% White but is less than that now (probably 85% at this point) due to the same dynamic - people move out, others move in.
I saw the opposite happen in suburban SE Austin. Our old neighborhood off of east Slaughter lane in 78747 was originally 45/45/10 anglo/hispanic/other back in 2007. We moved last year, and it was more like 60/35/10. Most of the new homeowners over the last 5 years have been 30-ish year old anglo couples with either very young children, or no children. I don't know if it's a South Austin thing, or a within-the-city-limits thing.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:53 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
So if it is not right to conflate a few violent looters with the rest of the protestors, why is it ok to conflate a few bad cops with all cops?
If the protesters formed a taxpayer funded union that promoted a culture and insulated each other to the point that most of them could brutalize and/or kill people on video with no consequences, this would be a valid comparison.

If the teachers' union made sure repeat pedophiles kept their jobs, and if they made sure teachers wouldn't face any severe consequences if a sex tape got out, I'd be calling for an overhaul of the system that lead to that dysfunction.

I won't go so far as to say all cops affiliate with each other to the point that they think they're a class apart (I don't feel like finding the documentation for the dissenters), but at the very least, cops within a single police department are absolutely generalizable.

Last edited by Westerner92; 06-11-2020 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 01:26 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideNJ View Post
Are you on bath salts? That is actually happening, maybe not in Austin, but in other parts of the country. People are being targeted, killed, hit with bricks all funded by your idol George Soros, well mostly his Antifa mob.
Not that you're worth engaging, but for the folks who might accidentally take your posts seriously, you got any proof for anything? Also, what does the bolded "that" refer to?

Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM

44 posts, read 33,277 times
Default Austin is bing outdone by Seattle again

In Seattle they already have formed a completely autonomous zone on Capitol Hill. I think Austin still has a lot of conservative "Texas" influence.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Those nutcase zealots pop up here & there now & then, even in Texas.
Lol for the entertainment.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:03 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To The Hills View Post
In Seattle they already have formed a completely autonomous zone on Capitol Hill. I think Austin still has a lot of conservative "Texas" influence.
When were we trying to be like Seattle?

Old 06-12-2020, 05:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
When were we trying to be like Seattle?
Now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin