U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 05:02 PM

9,107 posts, read 9,091,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
He made a statement t with KVUE yesterday but is generally staying out of it.
You have to be kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 05:03 PM

9,107 posts, read 9,091,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Last I saw he left a tweet asking them to play nicely.
That’s it?

Old 05-31-2020, 05:37 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That’s it?
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...emonstrations/

That's the last I've seen of him.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,447,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You have to be kidding?
That's what I heard. I haven't seen anything else. He popped on with them again today but said a lot of the same things

Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,447,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't like all the extremeism and radicalism on one side or the other. Those on the far left and those on the far right are identical because each side wants everything their way and neither side wants to compromise or give an inch and it seems those are the ones who want total control of the country. I do believe about 60% of Americans are in the middle, some issues, they go left, and some issues they go right, but the bottom line, those in the middle, we just wanna get along. I think the solution is the moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans form their own party and the moderates will take control. If not, the far left or far right will take control and that seems dangerous to me.
Within this very moment, I have not seen very much far left/far right. It's people protesting to be heard and then dumb ****** that have a history of agitation coming out at night to cause trouble.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:44 PM

270 posts, read 233,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Last night, I watched numerous videos showing police using violence against Black and Hispanic people and it made me put my phone down in disgust.
So, you are saying that some Black and Hispanic people were just legally minding their business and the police just violently attacked them. I must have missed that story.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:06 PM

11,480 posts, read 11,230,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
So, you are saying that some Black and Hispanic people were just legally minding their business and the police just violently attacked them. I must have missed that story.
A black man was standing with a protest sign in the air. He was not in anyone’s personal space or acting rowdy. A police officer pulled his mask down and maxed him in the face causing him to write in pain. So are you telling me that people can’t protest?

Old 05-31-2020, 08:17 PM

947 posts, read 1,003,256 times
I see that Domain is now boarding up and my old Target @ Capital Plaza was looted....just amazing.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:54 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,755,633 times
Quote:
None of this is surprising or new. Looting and mayhem have gone hand in hand with protests since..the 60s? The concept of "peaceful protest" died with King, which did far more change than burning things but that's another topic. Did we forget about Rodney King? or Ferguson? Looting is wrong, for sure. But for whatever reason, looting seems to go hand in hand with charged protests particularly involving race/police brutality.

And let's not sugar coat this. It's all about race AND police brutality. To separate the two given these incidents is just wishful thinking of a world where it's not about race. We're not there yet, period. Last night, I watched numerous videos showing police using violence against Black and Hispanic people and it made me put my phone down in disgust. Let's not forget that a professional, successful Black man was killed in his own apartment not too long ago.

It makes me glad that I don't have sons because I would legitimately have to worry. And no, I don't buy the lines of "if you keep your head down, follow commands, etc. you won't have to worry". Because I saw instances where that was employed (in NYC) and the cops pepper sprayed a woman and dragged a young man out of his car, despite compliance. The proof is in the tape if you don't believe me. And you're deluding yourself if you think that wearing a polo shirt and khakis (vs. jeans and a jersey) would afford you better treatment as a Black/Hispanic person when it comes to police brutality.

People are angry, for a lot of reasons right now. The pandemic and the resultant tanking economy, no job, etc. The George Floyd incident was the match to a molotov cocktail that was waiting to explode.

And before anyone says I'm anti-blue, I have police officers in my family. My grandfather was a detective in Harlem during the 60s. My deceased uncle was a cop. Those were just as rough times as today, there were protesters all over the place.
The job was hard and thankless, but they never busted a man's skull.
THANK.YOU.FOR.THIS!!! Every single bit of it.

#TakeAKnee

Old 05-31-2020, 09:12 PM

31,934 posts, read 49,836,279 times
Quote:
None of this is surprising or new. Looting and mayhem have gone hand in hand with protests since..the 60s? The concept of "peaceful protest" died with King, which did far more change than burning things but that's another topic. Did we forget about Rodney King? or Ferguson? Looting is wrong, for sure. But for whatever reason, looting seems to go hand in hand with charged protests particularly involving race/police brutality.

And let's not sugar coat this. It's all about race AND police brutality. To separate the two given these incidents is just wishful thinking of a world where it's not about race. We're not there yet, period. Last night, I watched numerous videos showing police using violence against Black and Hispanic people and it made me put my phone down in disgust. Let's not forget that a professional, successful Black man was killed in his own apartment not too long ago.

It makes me glad that I don't have sons because I would legitimately have to worry. And no, I don't buy the lines of "if you keep your head down, follow commands, etc. you won't have to worry". Because I saw instances where that was employed (in NYC) and the cops pepper sprayed a woman and dragged a young man out of his car, despite compliance. The proof is in the tape if you don't believe me. And you're deluding yourself if you think that wearing a polo shirt and khakis (vs. jeans and a jersey) would afford you better treatment as a Black/Hispanic person when it comes to police brutality.

People are angry, for a lot of reasons right now. The pandemic and the resultant tanking economy, no job, etc. The George Floyd incident was the match to a molotov cocktail that was waiting to explode.

And before anyone says I'm anti-blue, I have police officers in my family. My grandfather was a detective in Harlem during the 60s. My deceased uncle was a cop. Those were just as rough times as today, there were protesters all over the place.
The job was hard and thankless, but they never busted a man's skull.
Re the last part—
You don’t know that—
You were not with them when they were on duty with their buddies around them

There was photo of AA cop today who was choking a young AA man he has leading against the police car...people were all around saying “he can’t breath—-you are choking him” before the cop relented. He was subsequently suspended and is under investigation....

I was watching the news and saw video of outside the White House and “rioting” in Long Beach, CA
Both very different types of events
In Long Beach people were targeting stores with desirable merchandise and stealing it—
There was no riot or protest—-there was just greed...and people taking advantage of opportunity to grab a $400 pair of sneakers...
Very different from what was happening in many places

The police in many cities have also targeted the media—arresting them w/o cause, using tear gas or mace, firing rubber bullets directly into crews filming the police action so that it is retribution for being an eye to the violence
Racial makeup had no bearing because there are examples of damage to whites or minorities

Two quotes I feel describe the situations

Absolute power destroys, absolutely... and

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind...
and that is what this society and its “justice system” and systemic racism have done since the Civil War..

So I definitely can see why people feel entitled even “called” to protest with a more violent bent than Dr King supported...
But eventually it was the PEACEFULNESS and non-violence of Dr King and his supporters that sickened the people of America into waking up and admitting the wrongful, criminal, and (yes) racist and intolerable actions of the police who were punishing Dr. King and his followers...
If violence had met violence, hearts would not have been changed...

It wasn’t violence that changed people’s hearts over Vietnam either

Read about Robert Kennedy’s speech in Indianapolis when he told the crowds waiting for his campaign speech that Dr King was assassinated and Note that Indianapolis was the only major city with AA numbers that did not riot in response to King’s death...
Kennedy’s speech is one of the greatest impromptu speeches and showed what a great leader he would have been...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-31-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin