Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 06:02 PM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times

Advertisements

Not trying to play devils advocate. I am greatly disgusted by what Chauvin did. Atleast he was arrested and charged with 3rd Degree Murder (I feel this should have been 1st Degree, I mean he sat on his neck for 9 minutes ... but the cause of death was diagnosed with underlying health conditions... ), At the same time do these protesters really have to burn down every city in the nation? Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Minneapolis, New York, Washington D.C. , Boston - did I miss one?

Well, now its Austin's turn.. albeit they look more like a bored group that formed a raffle for a cause than anything else, I really hope it stays that way. Atlanta, DFW and Houston got sac'd - Atlanta pretty harshly. I was supposed to go there this weekend to finally finish up some business (of which was initially postponed because my attorney and client came down with the virus) - and it got postponed again because the new attorney is too afraid to come out of the house. It is what it is I guess. Hoping the best outcome for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 06:54 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
I just sat on the lower level of I-35 for a GD hour moving probably 400yds before I could get to MLK to get off and find my way to 183 south to get home. Protest at the police station(s) all you want, but if you start looting stores and blocking traffic on an interstate highway it oughta be a federal rap of some sort with mandatory prison time. I don't give a damn what it costs to build whatever facilities are necessary to lock up every.single.protester for things like this. I always wonder just how many people would be out there if they knew they'd be going to the joint.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I just sat on the lower level of I-35 for a GD hour moving probably 400yds before I could get to MLK to get off and find my way to 183 south to get home. Protest at the police station(s) all you want, but if you start looting stores and blocking traffic on an interstate highway it oughta be a federal rap of some sort with mandatory prison time. I don't give a damn what it costs to build whatever facilities are necessary to lock up every.single.protester for things like this. I always wonder just how many people would be out there if they knew they'd be going to the joint.
Fortunately I haven't been Downtown or I-35 today. I did see it last night because I was bored and went for a cruise, everything down there was dead - infact I don't think I've seen Austin's downtown so dead even on a Holiday let alone a Friday night. I guess this will bring back some of its vitality...

But yeah I'm really hoping they don't unleash chaos. I could see that turning bad real quick, add ontop of that businesses that are already suffocating and struggling down there now having potential property damage to deal with...

Old 05-30-2020, 09:13 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I just need everyone to go home before 8am tomorrow. It’s literally the only day for the next three weeks that I need to go north if the river

Old 05-31-2020, 12:40 AM

570 posts, read 559,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Fortunately I haven't been Downtown or I-35 today. I did see it last night because I was bored and went for a cruise, everything down there was dead - infact I don't think I've seen Austin's downtown so dead even on a Holiday let alone a Friday night. I guess this will bring back some of its vitality...

But yeah I'm really hoping they don't unleash chaos. I could see that turning bad real quick, add ontop of that businesses that are already suffocating and struggling down there now having potential property damage to deal with...
Austin was a war zone tonight.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Austin was a war zone tonight.
Damn. Here too... I was really hoping this would end peacefully here but I guess not.

I don't understand what they're trying to prove by doing this, or if this is an organized assault with different intentions. Some are believing these are antifa and using the Floyd killing motif for alternative purposes ... not sure. In almost all cases the protests started off civil before they abruptly became extremely violent. Either way though... ...Stay safe....

Old 05-31-2020, 08:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
Quote:
Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention
Dr. Martin Luther King

Old 05-31-2020, 10:13 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
This sad, regrettable event has been co-opted by everyone with a grievance. The issue was initially one of police brutality. Then the anti-racists turned it into an issue of racism. Then Antifa turned it into an issue of class warfare.

Poor George Floyd has been forgotten, while cities burn and people steal in the name of greed and hate.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:20 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
What bothered me the most about the protests yesterday is the majority of the protesters were wearing masks and that was totally acceptable, because of the Corona virus, and that's what made it so different from other riots and mass protests that the country has experienced thru out it's history. Somebody could have gone on a rampage and nobody would be able to identify who did it.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:49 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Well, a couple I know just moved into a condo in the Hilton at 5th & Sabine, so they must be enjoying the live downtown entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin