U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 AM

55 posts, read 320,558 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are moving to Austin in a few weeks from California and we were looking for rentals within the Arboretum area. We stayed there during our visit and like the shopping available and the mix of city-country living. We have about one and a half days to find an apartment during our next visit and during our visit last weekend already looked at a place - Gables Grand View. The places there are GORGEOUS and are very affordable compared to what we are paying here in SoCal, although living there would mean that we would only be able to save an add'l $200/mo when we could live in a less attractive place and save up an add'l $600/mo towards a down payment on a house.

Since we have such a short time to find a place, we really need to make a good short-list of places to visit in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of any other great and more affordable places close to the Arboretum area? My husband is going to be working off of the 360 Loop(?) and want to live somewhere that is near shops, has great gym facilities (or is at least near a good gym), and has 2 or 3BR for around $800-1000/mo (also we prefer to have an attached/unattached garage). Does anyone live near there and love their place and are paying similar rent?

Also, I have seen a lot of ads on Craigslist for rental agents who help locate apartments - does anyone have an opinion on these services? I can't imagine that you wouldn't have to pay these people but I wonder if they are even truly helpful.

I know it's a shot in the dark, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 02:56 PM

805 posts, read 2,696,454 times
Not that it's any of my business to advise you on this, but it seems like a such a waste to pay an extra 600/month for a 'nicer' place when your obvious goal is home ownership! But, that's your choice.
The apartment locators get paid by the apartment complex for referrals, so they'll steer you where they get paid the most, for their services.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin