Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:53 AM

11,798 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
While Atlanta is pushing it's Black citizens out of it's core it's not even in the same sentence as Austin when it comes to the Black experience by and large. And I for one don't really buy into the Black Mecca title of Atlanta because I simply don't think a true Black mecca exist in America. But Austin and Atlanta are 2 different beast.
I never said Atlanta is undergoing an exodus, but that gentrification is a growing problem for AA's

Both Austin and Atlanta were initially very segregated cities. While Austin casted an Exodus on minorities in Eastern Austin, Atlanta never truly opened their arms warm and lovingly to them either and to this date suffers from the consequences of racial divide.

In 1906, The Jim Crow laws were passed in Atlanta:
Quote:
The result was in some cases segregated facilities, with nearly always inferior conditions for black customers, but in many cases it resulted in no facilities at all available to blacks, e.g. all parks were designated whites-only (although a private park, Joyland, did open in 1921). In 1910, the city council passed an ordinance requiring that restaurants be designated for one race only, hobbling black restaurant owners who had been attracting both black and white customers. In the same year, Atlanta's streetcars were segregated, with black patrons required to sit in the rear.
In 1913
Quote:
the city created official boundaries for white and black residential areas.
Additionally in 1920:
Quote:
the city prohibited black-owned salons from serving white women and children.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raci...ion%20starting

Similarly in Austin, during 1928:
Quote:
In Austin, the strategy to isolate minorities came in the form of the Koch and Fowler city plan, which in 1928 proposed the creation of a “Negro District” — making it the only part of the city where African-Americans could access schools and other public services.

Koch and Fowler also proposed that the district have the city’s weakest zoning restrictions, allowing the development of “a number of slightly objectionable industrial uses” — essentially, any use that wasn’t specifically outlawed.
Now I will say one thing different that did happen in Atlanta that did not initially happen in Austin were property rights, and had they have happened, Austin would have incurred similar White flight patterns as seen in Atlanta.

I'm not saying I'm in agreement or for it, but that is likely what would have happened.

This isn't even including the vast cultural arts, casting appearances or awards that AA's were initially restricted from in Atlanta either.

It took blockbusting in the 1950's to end forced home pattern laws, of which was met with harsh white retaliation and attempts to block them from neighborhoods with tactics ranging from political opposition to outright violence.

When initially white neighborhoods however began growing black populations, the result was white flight. They fled to the suburbs and continued to do everything in their power to keep the metro from developing black populations within their enclaves. A firm example of their successession would be their success of blocking MARTA rail expansion from anywhere outside of I-285 for the fear of making it too convenient for AA's to access.

Atlanta also has the highest income inequality in the nation. AA households averaging around $42k a year and less than 25% of AA's own a home in Atlanta.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/11...-homeownership

Quote:
Me being Black myself I get what Above is saying. I personally like Austin myself and so do most Black people I know. But Austin feels the lest inclusive out of all Texas Big cities and that can have an effect on your overall experience while in Austin.

In Austin's core there's not as many Black spaces or evenly diverse spaces in the core in comparison to Houston or Dallas. That's not to say there isn't any. Trust me I have family that lives in Austin, I've been going to Austin since the early 00's countless times. I know Austin enough to know how it feels to the general Black public no matter their background or their beliefs. And it's always a "Austin is cool but..."

And it's that lack of Black and diverse spaces that make Black people feel uncomfortable over a period of time in Austin. And it's not hostile or overt on average. Most major and even minor cities don't have hostile racism unless you hit a predominately White residential area tucked away from the core for a reason.
I get what he is stating as well and I agree that not every black person will feel comfortable in Austin. It does not carry the cultural aspects black hubs carry but what I am stating is, despite Austin alienating the culture altogether, AA's have never truly gained full acceptance anywhere. Atlanta specifically has more historical ties (Civil War, Civil Rights Movements, MLK) of which shaped our culture but even it is not fully inclusive.

Quote:
Case and point: I've lived in Houston going on 10 years and some change now. I've had one overt racist incident since I've been living here. And that came from a Gas Station manager of Arab descent. Now just like any other place in this country I've encountered subtle racism or covert racial bias on some level. Every Black person or POC goes through that no matter what part of America you live in. That just comes with the territory of being Black in America. Same situation in DFW. Never really had any overt racist incidents just some covert racial bias on some level.

But Austin? I can count 3 occasions where I experienced some overt racism in the liberal playground of Texas. One, was a Female cyclist who called me the N Word because I accidently drove in her lane. The 2nd incident wasn't directed at me but ANOTHER Female cyclist was riding on the sidewalk and told a homeless Black Man to "Get out the way N word". The 3rd incident came from some drunk white guy on 6th street. Almost had to joyfully beat the breaks off of him. Now I've heard incidents happening like this to my cousins and other associates and friends who've lived in Austin before.
I won't doubt you. I personally have lived here in Austin metro for 2 years almost exactly, however; I personally have never been called the N word. Have I gotten strange looks? Of course. Have I been turned down for a few dates? Sure... Has the same happened to me in let's say, Alpharetta, Cumming, Acworth, Dahlonega? Definitely.

The point I'm trying to get across is this, this is an America problem. Even regions with large percentages of AA's are still dealing with racial issues and inequality. Your strife with Austin is only the tip of the iceberg in comparison to the problem as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 06:24 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Austin’s white flight began in the mid 1970s with forced busing in the school district. That was the direct impetus for the explosive growth in Round Rock.
Now it looks like a reversal what with the “gentrification” phenomenon.
Is Irony the correct term?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Austin’s white flight began in the mid 1970s with forced busing in the school district. That was the direct impetus for the explosive growth in Round Rock.
Now it looks like a reversal what with the “gentrification” phenomenon.
Is Irony the correct term?
More like poor people get shuffled around every generation against their will if you want to call that irony.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:25 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Has anyone surveyed the former East Austin residents up in P-ville & Round Rock if they regret moving to their newer neighborhoods, and would they rather be back in the old ones?
That would be an interesting study.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
My big takeaway from the article is that the LACK of diversity allows a city to use it's resources more effectively to implement progressive policies. When a city (or country) tries to be everything to everyone, it ends up being mediocre.

This is why homogenous countries like Germany and China have been kicking the USA's *ss for the last 40 years.
Germany is homogenous? Um, I don't think so. Neither is China. There are many non-Han ethnic groups that comprise China and just because they are all Mongoloid in race doesn't mean they're aligned.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Has anyone surveyed the former East Austin residents up in P-ville & Round Rock if they regret moving to their newer neighborhoods, and would they rather be back in the old ones?
That would be an interesting study.
I'd be interested too. One of my good friends (here in Denver actually) is a black guy who grew up in East Austin but was sent to Round Rock to live with his aunt during high school. I'd guess it's a mixed bag overall. Nicer schools, but less community. The foreclosures and lack of ability to pay taxes for increased property value are quite tragic IMHO, and they can set the generational wealth building cycle back by a generation or two.

Quote:
My big takeaway from the article is that the LACK of diversity allows a city to use it's resources more effectively to implement progressive policies. When a city (or country) tries to be everything to everyone, it ends up being mediocre.

This is why homogenous countries like Germany and China have been kicking the USA's *ss for the last 40 years.
Nice dog whistle. It couldn't possibly be that trickle down economics (which began implementation 40 years ago and has captured the policies of both political parties) is a total farce, eh?

Old 06-09-2020, 11:35 AM

242 posts, read 206,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

Nice dog whistle. It couldn't possibly be that trickle down economics (which began implementation 40 years ago and has captured the policies of both political parties) is a total farce, eh?
Nice dog whistle, yourself: Blaming Reagan.

The decline of the US started with the welfare state that grew out of the 60's civil right's movement. I agree and support the civil rights movement as MLK intended, but not the welfare state that resulted.

From 1970 and beyond is when infrastructure in this country started deteriorating.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Nice dog whistle, yourself: Blaming Reagan.

The decline of the US started with the welfare state that grew out of the 60's civil right's movement. I agree and support the civil rights movement as MLK intended, but not the welfare state that resulted.

From 1970 and beyond is when infrastructure in this country started deteriorating.
Wait, so it's been the last 50 years, not 40. You support the Civil Rights Movement, but not diversity. You don't support welfare states, just two of the biggest examples of welfare states. 10/10 mental gymnastics.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:08 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
A lot of rape victims in Austin don’t think he was a good chief here, not to mention covering up some high profile brutality cases on his watch. And he has not done anything to clean up his corrupt narc unit in Houston... even when they executed the Tuttles after a falsified search warrant.

I think he is a fraud and part of the problem.

But hey, he looks & sounds good in the photo-ops.
The Tuttles were victims of a militaristic no-knock raid which is exactly the kind of thing the “defund the police” movement is trying to eliminate. And Art seems to be on the right side of that, at least now.

The failure in the sex crimes department of the APD was definitely a problem, and ultimately falls on him as the chief.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:50 AM

242 posts, read 206,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Wait, so it's been the last 50 years, not 40. You support the Civil Rights Movement, but not diversity. You don't support welfare states, just two of the biggest examples of welfare states. 10/10 mental gymnastics.
Diversity of INTERESTS, not people. MLK advocated for COMMON INTERESTS between black and white people such as common rights and well-being, but most importantly he endorsed the imporantance of INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY, which is the foundation of the Republican platform. MLK never told anyone to tear down a statue or remove "offensive" books from libraries like a facist.

BLM does not advocate for MLKs ideals. BLM advocates Reparations, Affirmative Action, welfare, government provided housing, education, and healthcare. The destruction of history, public apologies from white people, violence and overall preferential treatment above all others Brown, Asian or Native American.

MLK wanted walls removed so peopel were free, BLM wants a "fast-pass" to the front of the line in front of all other ethnic groups, and they are using white guilt to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin