Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

The last time OP posted was 2 months ago. I doubt he's going to be moving to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 11:53 PM

506 posts, read 510,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_on_6th View Post
Hello -

I will be moving to Austin in the next 3-6 months for work and could use some help to decide where to live. Below are some key stats:

Total Comp: ~$150K
Liquid Net Assets: ~$150K (student loans in my 20s ate into this...)
Desire: likely a house (really don't want a condo and even less so an apartment). I would also prefer a home that I can rent out either long-term or AirBnB as I travel a lot for work
Work location: downtown but I WFH a lot

What neighborhoods do you think would be good?

TIA!!
Outside of Austin metro. It's full.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 AM

67 posts, read 48,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm assuming that's $150k salary and up to $150k to liquidate? If the liquidations arent going to burden you, I personally would buy, unless you see yourself moving again in the near future. That would cut your mortgage in half. As for where to live? I would look into Pfugerville.
Hi why pflugerville, and not other areas like cedar park or wells branch? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2020, 10:58 AM

67 posts, read 48,366 times
Quote:
It's not terrible, I did it! ... although if I could do it again I probably would choose Pfugerville. I was kind of narrowed down on Leander / Cedar Park myself because I fell in love with the towns but didnt really consider Pfugerville too much because I was focused on those two.

I have no regrets though, but also keep in mind never in my stay in Austin have I needed to commute to Downtown, the furthest I've ever had to commute was Domain, that or Parmer near TX-45.
Hi, which neighbourhood did you move to? I am considering Cantarra. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2020, 05:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite888 View Post
Hi why pflugerville, and not other areas like cedar park or wells branch? Thanks!
It's much closer to Austin, Domain, and the job & entertainment hotspots than Leander is. Leander / Cedar Park are fairly close to Round Rock but Pfugerville is pretty much within reasonable distance to all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite888 View Post
Hi, which neighbourhood did you move to? I am considering Cantarra. Any thoughts? Thanks!
That appears to be in Pfugerville, I personally know little of it. Based on a quick Google, it doesn't look bad though.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
It's much closer to Austin, Domain, and the job & entertainment hotspots than Leander is. Leander / Cedar Park are fairly close to Round Rock but Pfugerville is pretty much within reasonable distance to all of them.

That appears to be in Pfugerville, I personally know little of it. Based on a quick Google, it doesn't look bad though.
Wells Branch is Pflugerville, though. Their HEB is the one on 1685 or something. It has a Pflugerville address. And even Round Rock if you consider that both PFISD and RRISD are split in the neighborhood. I am speaking from experience, despite being more central now, when I moved here initially I lived in Wells Branch.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Technically Wells Branch is in Austin (ETJ) despite having a Pflugerville postal address. We lived in the City of Pflugerville despite having a Round Rock address.

Cantarra (which I think is in Austin ETJ) is closer in to your work but I don't care for the schools it zones to and the area is just so-so IMO. The better parts of Pflugerville aren't adjacent to Austin. But who knows, maybe the influx of newcomers will change things and it is affordable and closer in.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Technically Wells Branch is in Austin (ETJ) despite having a Pflugerville postal address. We lived in the City of Pflugerville despite having a Round Rock address.

Cantarra (which I think is in Austin ETJ) is closer in to your work but I don't care for the schools it zones to and the area is just so-so IMO. The better parts of Pflugerville aren't adjacent to Austin. But who knows, maybe the influx of newcomers will change things and it is affordable and closer in.
Right. And it's further south then the actual city of Pflugerville, so to say its not as close as Pflugerville is to Austin is inaccurate. And by "it" having a Pflugerville address, I was talking about HEB.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Right. And it's further south then the actual city of Pflugerville, so to say its not as close as Pflugerville is to Austin is inaccurate. And by "it" having a Pflugerville address, I was talking about HEB.
Where did I say that it was "not as close as Pflugerville is to Austin". I said that Cantarra was closer in.

You stated that Wells Branch was in Pflugerville when it is actually not in Pflugerville but in Austin. That gray area where Cantarra is and where that HEB is on 1825 is in Austin's ETJ, though most people think it is a part of Pflugerville.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Where did I say that it was "not as close as Pflugerville is to Austin". I said that Cantarra was closer in.

You stated that Wells Branch was in Pflugerville when it is actually not in Pflugerville but in Austin. That gray area where Cantarra is and where that HEB is on 1825 is in Austin's ETJ, though most people think it is a part of Pflugerville.
You didn’t. You responded to my response to N4C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin