Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 04:06 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideNJ View Post
That maybe the case, but the United States has 50 states, that is a lot of Law Enforcement Agencies. The problem is that the media and the general public find in most cases (not all) the actions of Law Enforcement without knowing the facts or without an investigation taking place.

I am by no means talking about George Floyd, that is clear cut murder in my eyes. I am talking about the media constantly putting Police in the spotlight without having the facts first. Guilty before being innocent. Cop shoots black man. Ok, well outrage, yes another Police Involved shooting seems legit right, turns out after an investigation that a gun was pointed at Police and use of force was justified. But you won't hear that until after all the rioting, looting, anti-cop media rhetoric dies down and the facts come out.

How often do you hear about black cops shooting white men or black men? You don't, because it doesn't fit the main stream medias narrative. I can think of several other professions that don't get the negative attention they deserve.

The spotlight should be put on Cops, when they're doing something wrong or excessive. I think the fact that they got away with almost everything, before anyone had a video camera on them at all times is part of the reason why they act the way they do these days. One can only wonder with how many crimes they got away with before those times.
They shoot people in their homes because they got the wrong address on a raid and then dare to arrest the person inside trying to defend themselves.
Or they shoot them in their homes because they thought it was their apartment. They shoot people who are scared to death and "for not obeying commands" when they tried just pulling their pants up. There are just too many Cops who seem to be on a power trip and think they are better than those "civilians".
If one listens to the sermon guys like Dave Grossman feed cops, it's not that surprising really.
Regarding black cops shooting white people, I recall also in Minneapolis the shooting of a white woman who called the cops herself but got shoot by them. The cop who killed her was black. It was well covered in all the news.
I for one would like the police to treat ALL citizens with dignity and respect and not as potential targets or prey.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Do you know how Law Enforcement works in the United States? I'll take a shot in the dark and say no. Sucks being painted with the same brush though, you lefties don't like it do you? Where I come from the Teacher's Union's are a bunch of crybabies who actually strike and don't care about their students. More liberal hypocrisy. Mic drop................
Where we come from our teachers are not.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:49 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
From what I have heard (and I dont necessarily disagree) that police are used for too many functions. A lot of the routine stuff that police do would be better served by a different type of agency. One that doesnt carry guns and immediately resort to violence.

They could be a hybrid of social worker and security guard and have a different name than police.

The police should be only called when there are actual violent crimes going on which is almost never.

Police are usually called after the fact to do followup and that should be a different type of resource.

domestic violence, drug abuse, mental illness calls, speeding tickets, traffic violations etc should possibly all be done by someone other than police. These people would be trained in deescalation and understand the various social resources available.

In progress home invasions, active shooters, etc should be handled by police.
Are there even enough social workers, drug counselors, etc. who could replace/supplement police? Maybe there wouldn’t need to be a 1:1 ratio. I haven’t done much research on defunding the police, but it seems like it would be difficult to hire enough people in professions that require master's degree where you get paid $30,000-40,000 per year.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Do you know how Law Enforcement works in the United States? I'll take a shot in the dark and say no. Sucks being painted with the same brush though, you lefties don't like it do you? Where I come from the Teacher's Union's are a bunch of crybabies who actually strike and don't care about their students. More liberal hypocrisy. Mic drop................
You’re not “law enforcement”. You need to know laws for that to be the case. You’re just force.

And teachers go to jail when they break the law. Cops just need to say “I was scared”. Knowing the twitchy Napoleon complexes from high school and gay steroid heads who went into the police, I don’t doubt they get scared easily.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Are there even enough social workers, drug counselors, etc. who could replace/supplement police? Maybe there wouldn’t need to be a 1:1 ratio. I haven’t done much research on defunding the police, but it seems like it would be difficult to hire enough people in professions that require master's degree where you get paid $30,000-40,000 per year.
If funding is reallocated governments could increase the pay. There are social work jobs that are highly coveted and can pay up to 100k. I’m not doing horribly as a social worker in Austin. I am not making 40k.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
We can agree on that. Police don't make the laws, if you have a problem, which judging by the things you type you clearly do (something I cannot pronounce).

I love how it's ok for people like you to stereotype a group of people but when it's done to you, you lose your mind. I really hope you have a good support system come election time. If you need me I will be there for you when Biden loses.

In regards to your comments about twitchy napolean complexes, yes there are cops that do fit that bill, they fall through the cracks and get hired through politics. Judges and politicians also fit that bill and anyone who is in a position of power, especially Doctor's who coincidentally take an oath but are covered under malpractice insurance if they accidentally kill someone.
When police protect each other from virtually all accountability and treat the world like they're an occupying force, they make themselves a generalizable group. Y'all are clueless as to what the law is, how to interpret it, what due process is. Don't even get me started on these last two weeks of Call of Duty LARPing we've seen from poorly trained people who are clueless to rules of engagement.

What other job (I'll call policing a profession when it doesn't have an embarrassingly low barrier of entry) does the average grunt have 0 accountability? As we've seen with Derek Chauvin, it's hard to get serial killers off police forces.

Last edited by Westerner92; 06-09-2020 at 09:31 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 12:45 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Well. I'm no law enforcement but for the incident that happened in Austin specifically it did seem a bit excessive to open fire over a water bottle and backpack being lopped at a cop.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:05 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well. I'm no law enforcement but for the incident that happened in Austin specifically it did seem a bit excessive to open fire over a water bottle and backpack being lopped at a cop.
A bottle of water can hit with enough force to seriously injure or kill.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:39 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
A bottle of water can hit with enough force to seriously injure or kill.
I'd have to see that. My imagination stems to believe that unless it were frozen, the boeyoncy would cause it to bounce off of you.. I'd say the only way you would be remotely harmed by it is if it hit you in the face or eye.

Now Frozen Bottled Water would probably hurt.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:13 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Well, what with our summer temperatures, the likelihood of getting hit by a frozen water bottle is a longshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin