U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:26 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,946,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well. I'm no law enforcement but for the incident that happened in Austin specifically it did seem a bit excessive to open fire over a water bottle and backpack being lopped at a cop.
I think the Texas State student who got shot point blank in the face with the bean bag, then got shot at when people tried to transport his body away from the scene, and now has a traumatic brain injury, is a pretty blatant use of excessive force. Austin has had some of the worst issues of any city with these protests. I can compile a list of videos for people to decide for themselves if anyone is interested.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:52 AM

101 posts, read 33,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think the Texas State student who got shot point blank in the face with the bean bag, then got shot at when people tried to transport his body away from the scene, and now has a traumatic brain injury, is a pretty blatant use of excessive force. Austin has had some of the worst issues of any city with these protests. I can compile a list of videos for people to decide for themselves if anyone is interested.
Was he murdered? No. Stick to the facts.

He assaulted a riot cop and was shot with a non-lethal round.

He knew that would happen to him, and he did it anyways.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:57 AM

2,329 posts, read 760,267 times
Every Dem.who ever got a parking ticket is out for this one

Old 06-10-2020, 08:09 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,946,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post

Didn’t realize barely living, unconscious people didn’t have bodies. He was holding a sign above his head when it happened. Video evidence.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:36 AM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
Quote:

From what I read, he was collateral damage. Someone else assaulted the cop and the cop blindly opened fire and struck him by mistake.

I also can't agree with opening fire over a water bottle and backpack. Too much can go wrong when opening fire in a crowd. Sure if he and others were approaching the cop in a endangering manner or had weapons then by all means do what you need to protect yourself but a water bottle and backpack are anything but dangerous. A nuisance definitely but the non-lethal rounds are far more dangerous than either of those.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:11 AM

30,252 posts, read 17,562,099 times
Quote:

When you join a riot you should understand that you are putting yourself in danger. It really is that simple.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 AM

30,252 posts, read 17,562,099 times
Quote:
a water bottle and backpack are anything but dangerous. A nuisance definitely but the non-lethal rounds are far more dangerous than either of those.
Many of the rioters were throwing frozen water bottles in some cities. Those are potentially lethal.

But even if not frozen you could lose an eye or worse.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I also can't agree with opening fire over a water bottle and backpack. Too much can go wrong when opening fire in a crowd. Sure if he and others were approaching the cop in a endangering manner or had weapons then by all means do what you need to protect yourself but a water bottle and backpack are anything but dangerous. A nuisance definitely but the non-lethal rounds are far more dangerous than either of those.
Water bottles (some with loose caps) can contain anything:

Urine
Nails
Spit
Gravel
Bleach
Acid
Paint
Broken glass
Other

Backpacks can contain anything, too. Entire buildings and train stations have been emptied because of a single backpack.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 AM

7,555 posts, read 4,108,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Many of the rioters were throwing frozen water bottles in some cities. Those are potentially lethal.

But even if not frozen you could lose an eye or worse.
Much of time, it ain’t water in those bottles. It’s pee, it’s ink, it’s drying concrete.

Urban warfare is getting more violent. Subsequently, so is the response from the police.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Much of time, it ain’t water in those bottles. It’s pee, it’s ink, it’s drying concrete.

Urban warfare is getting more violent. Subsequently, so is the response from the police.
Yes, when people use terms like"water bottle" they are trying to make it sound harmless.

My turn:

"Last week, youths across the nation knocked on the windows of stores to borrow merchandise."

^^^ there you go, I just made it sound harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin