U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 06:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 857,844 times

Advertisements

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...a-4740956a26fe

I think its crazy, we need the police, yes restructure, yes retrain but defund, no.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:32 AM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
Just wait a few months. There will be another article by these very same people in disapproval of sky rocketing homeless crimes due to inaction from law enforcement.

Just charge the responsible cop with murder, overturning the entire police department and leaving thousands without protection isnt going to make our streets safer.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:55 AM

6,917 posts, read 9,445,123 times
On another note, I heard somewhere that the place to start with police reform is to go after the union contracts. I'm not sure what that looks like in Austin, but I do recall the negotiations being a hot mess in San Antonio right before I moved up here.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:00 PM

6,779 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...a-4740956a26fe

I think its crazy, we need the police, yes restructure, yes retrain but defund, no.
From what I have heard (and I dont necessarily disagree) that police are used for too many functions. A lot of the routine stuff that police do would be better served by a different type of agency. One that doesnt carry guns and immediately resort to violence.

They could be a hybrid of social worker and security guard and have a different name than police.

The police should be only called when there are actual violent crimes going on which is almost never.

Police are usually called after the fact to do followup and that should be a different type of resource.

domestic violence, drug abuse, mental illness calls, speeding tickets, traffic violations etc should possibly all be done by someone other than police. These people would be trained in deescalation and understand the various social resources available.

In progress home invasions, active shooters, etc should be handled by police.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:11 PM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
I have many friends in law enforcement. Domestic dispute is one of the most dangerous calls they go out on and has one of the worst outcomes if no one is taken into custody.

Some hundred years or so ago, long before union police, the officers were hired on one or two year contracts, all approved by an elected official. Bad cops were gone and police had a desire to not **** off the public at large.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:37 PM

3,757 posts, read 5,565,994 times
I remember living in the D.C area in the 80's and 90's when cops had the reputation for not getting involved, not doing traffic stops, etc. The results were not good and only started improving when D.C. started redeveloping/gentrifying. I don't think Austin would descend into a murder a day like that smaller city had, but at the same time things like our already high property crime rate could get worse.

I'm also not sure social workers are the answer as I'd wager the best one available would have not helped the Freebirds murder some months back, whereas a cop tasering the assailant would have.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 9,091,930 times
Defunders better be careful what they are asking for.

Look at what happened in Baltimore after the Freddy Gray death in 2015, and the mayor told the cops to ease off making arrests. The murder rate shot up from the low 30s per 100k to the mid 50s ever since. That’s hundreds of dead people who should not have gotten killed.

Yeah, reorganization with more citizen committee involvement & oversight. Not to mention better training for the police..... and education for the young people.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideNJ View Post
Social workers without guns? Are you serious? Do you have an idea how fast a situation could go from zero to 100 in moments notice? Granted the clime in this country is anti-law enforcement, but defunding them could have catastrophic effects. Makes me wonder if I am moving to the right part of Texas.
Social workers trained in crisis intervention deescalate crises. Do you know anything about the mobile outreach team or the process? They go out there on their own to assist people in crises. They are at hostage situations helping police and law enforcement avoid these situations. As a social worker, there needs to be more of us out there. As a social worker, I need police. I’m Jett are times when it is unsafe. Defunding isn’t the answer. Moving money around is

Quote:
Out of curiosity, am I missing something there. Did an event actually occur in Austin involving a Police involved shooting or a recent use of force situation, or is this something that was spurned by what transpired with Mr. Floyd's death. Serious question.

Yes. Search for information on mike Ramos.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I have a background in Law Enforcement so I know how integral it is to have social workers work hand in hand (not replace) law enforcement. But I don't agree with the idea of REPLACING them. As you are probably aware, not all situations can be deescalated. I do believe in Police Reform, but doing it in a smart way. As far as mobile outreach, I absolutely have experience with that, in NJ we have civilian DVRT members who assist victims of domestic violence. Social workers in my opinion should augment and assist but not replace. The last thing I want to see is a social worker get injured or killed because something went wrong.
Thank you for sharing your insight and views. Like I said, I have a vague idea of what protesters mean by “defund” the police. It’s what we’re both saying, reform. Here’s an article dated a few days ago that helped me understand a bit more https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...olice-1007254/

Old 06-08-2020, 07:24 PM

11,739 posts, read 10,494,788 times
The original reason for police was to guard property of the elites in NYC.

You see, prior to the police the "rich people" had private security forces. However, during celebrations like St. Patrick's Day a lot of the crowd would get rowdy to the rich non-Irish Protestants and their security forces would be no match should the crowd decide their house would be next.

So the rich set up a taxpayer funded "police" force to mainly help in protecting property (that's always been the thing in this country) but then it rapidly expanded to cover everything from lost children to bank robberies.

Just like family crime is investigated with CPS, there should be similar agencies to investigate most crimes. Substance abuse should be handled by someone from a rehab facility talking to the person and trying to get them admitted. Mental health emergencies should be handled by qualified psychiatrists with training in de-escalation techniques. Domestic issues should be handled by large but nice counseling therapists (large enough to protect themselves or alternatively counselors with bodyguards).

Any "crimes in progress" should be handled by an elite force that goes in to neutralize threats without killing. Maybe by sneaking up to them and using a stun gun on them or something else. These elite forces should be equipped with flak jackets and several weapons as needed.

So,

CPS for children
MPS for mental illness
DPS for domestic issues
SCIP would be an elite force (stop crimes in progress)

People would still call 911 and dispatchers would dispatch the correct agency with EMS called as necessary as well.

For protests there would be special personnel trained in crowd management/dispersal. They would have protection and minimal weapons but mainly would be there to be a presence. No SCIP allowed there. They would have 4 hour shifts so they don't get tired and make bad mistakes since so many people's lives are on the line.

Last edited by cBach; 06-08-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin