U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 05:19 PM

17 posts, read 4,750 times

Advertisements

I am single parent looking to move from NY to Austin. Can anyone advise what locations I should consider?

1. Must be family-oriented, but not rural - suburban / urban
2. Looking to rent for a year or more and then buy
(rent up to 3k/month for a 2 to 3 bedroom) - less $ is better
(purchase up to $650k) - less $ is better
3. Within 5 mile of Good Public Elementary, Middle and High school (if there is school busing than distance is not as important)
4. Are there any Public schools that have busing?
5. Looking to live where there are other reform and conservative Jewish population
6. Within 45 min commute of job sector

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 06:00 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Northwest hills is where you want to be. I’m unsure what you mean by underlining the bussing question. Is this in regard to kids not going to their neighborhood schools or bring within a certain distance of your home?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:14 AM

6,785 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireBow2020 View Post
I am single parent looking to move from NY to Austin. Can anyone advise what locations I should consider?

1. Must be family-oriented, but not rural - suburban / urban
2. Looking to rent for a year or more and then buy
(rent up to 3k/month for a 2 to 3 bedroom) - less $ is better
(purchase up to $650k) - less $ is better
3. Within 5 mile of Good Public Elementary, Middle and High school (if there is school busing than distance is not as important)
4. Are there any Public schools that have busing?
5. Looking to live where there are other reform and conservative Jewish population
6. Within 45 min commute of job sector

Thanks for any insight!
northwest hills has a higher concentration of jewish people, and the area is also an eruv. House prices are rising pretty rapidly though.

rentals run about $1.5/sq ft per month. Homes are running about 275-300/sq ft.

The eruv is in the 78731 side of northwest hills. The 78759 side isnt technically northwest hills (westover hills) and is a lot more affordable. the 78759 side goes to hill, murchison, anderson. The 78731 side goes to doss, murchison, anderson.

Some of the 78731 side goes to highland park, lamar, mcallum (not as good as the other two).

Even though murchison is considered to be good, by my standards it isnt great. anderson is good.

If by bussing, you mean busses to take the kids to school, if you are more than 1.5 miles (or something) away from the school then you get a bus.

The job sector is all over town, but northwest hills would be considered to be 45 minutes from just about all the job sectors (domain, downtown, state of texas, UT, nw tech corridor, etc).

Old 06-08-2020, 07:32 AM

6,089 posts, read 7,240,967 times
Why are you moving to Texas? Be aware that although Austin has a area where there are more Jewish people, the number is still substantially lower than New York - like minuscule. I grew up in the Northeast (Philly 'burbs) and there were so many Jewish kids, that the public school districts were closed on Jewish holidays. Here, most people have no idea what the Jewish holidays even are.

Texas is about as far from New York in every way, that's why I am curious as to why you are moving here. Have you been here?

Old 06-08-2020, 08:44 AM

554 posts, read 1,020,142 times
Another vote for Northwest Hills.
Some houses will be outside your budget, but there are some that will fit.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
northwest hills has a higher concentration of jewish people, and the area is also an eruv. House prices are rising pretty rapidly though.

rentals run about $1.5/sq ft per month. Homes are running about 275-300/sq ft.

The eruv is in the 78731 side of northwest hills. The 78759 side isnt technically northwest hills (westover hills) and is a lot more affordable. the 78759 side goes to hill, murchison, anderson. The 78731 side goes to doss, murchison, anderson.

Some of the 78731 side goes to highland park, lamar, mcallum (not as good as the other two).

Even though murchison is considered to be good, by my standards it isnt great. anderson is good.

If by bussing, you mean busses to take the kids to school, if you are more than 1.5 miles (or something) away from the school then you get a bus.

The job sector is all over town, but northwest hills would be considered to be 45 minutes from just about all the job sectors (domain, downtown, state of texas, UT, nw tech corridor, etc).
This is good info. I'm spending the summer in TX and will also be looking into Dallas.
What can you tell me about Dallas compared to Austin?
Dallas:
- Best Locations for families with 9 and 13 year old
- Reform Jewish areas with diversity
- Jobs and economic growth (my field is marketing)
- Top public schools
- Fun neighborhoods for kids and me (parks, coffee shops)

Which is more desirable to relo to Austin or Dallas. Or are they both good lifestyles.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:56 AM

6,918 posts, read 9,445,123 times
OP you may want to ask about Dallas in the Dallas forum. Do you have a job yet? Get the job first and then relocate.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Northwest hills is where you want to be. I’m unsure what you mean by underlining the bussing question. Is this in regard to kids not going to their neighborhood schools or bring within a certain distance of your home?
yes, I wanted to know if there are buses for school.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:40 PM

6,785 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireBow2020 View Post
This is good info. I'm spending the summer in TX and will also be looking into Dallas.
What can you tell me about Dallas compared to Austin?
Dallas:
- Best Locations for families with 9 and 13 year old
- Reform Jewish areas with diversity
- Jobs and economic growth (my field is marketing)
- Top public schools
- Fun neighborhoods for kids and me (parks, coffee shops)

Which is more desirable to relo to Austin or Dallas. Or are they both good lifestyles.
Only you can determine which is better for you. Dallas is a full on big city with big city amenities. Austin is a smaller, but growing small city with more outdoors and casual culture.

Dallas is more flashy materialistic, austin is more materialistic than it used to be but it is flashy in a different way. You should post in the dallas forum with questions about dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin