Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 04:25 PM

939 posts, read 562,202 times

Advertisements

Will it be worth it?

How is the city looking now? Any nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 06:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Read our COVID discussion.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:11 PM

11,774 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Minimal nightlife at best. State may be opening to 75% but most are still too afraid to congregate in large groups. Also Austin proper extended stay-at-home orders thru August. In short, save your money... Its going to be a long time before Austin's nightlife recovers from this, if it ever does.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
It'll be dead.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:16 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It'll be dead.
And the most miserably hot time of year.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:38 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
......that extends through Labor Day

Old 06-22-2020, 09:40 AM

181 posts, read 159,457 times
These days, if you want to have a good time you have to go to the rural areas or adjacent counties. I hear Fredericksburg is still good, but obviously not a nightlife hub like Austin. Some peripheral towns have things to do as well, but I'm sure you can do that wherever you are now. Short answer though, is don't bother wasting your money. Try Arizona, maybe Scottsdale area as a place with less restrictions; it was one of the places I looked at to vacation that seemed somewhat normal during the peak of the COVID news frenzy, but the situation is fluid. Florida is potentially the other option, but haven't done my research there recently.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
These days, if you want to have a good time you have to go to the rural areas or adjacent counties. I hear Fredericksburg is still good, but obviously not a nightlife hub like Austin. Some peripheral towns have things to do as well, but I'm sure you can do that wherever you are now. Short answer though, is don't bother wasting your money. Try Arizona, maybe Scottsdale area as a place with less restrictions; it was one of the places I looked at to vacation that seemed somewhat normal during the peak of the COVID news frenzy, but the situation is fluid. Florida is potentially the other option, but haven't done my research there recently.
May want to reconsider Arizona - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/22/coro...and-texas.html

Old 06-22-2020, 11:09 AM

181 posts, read 159,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
True, haven't had much time to research recently since no vacation plans at the moment. I did read something about Arizona's Gov. taking the same approach as Abbot on the WSJ today, but couldn't recall if it was just Phoenix or surrounding areas. Just trying to think of areas I can suggest to the OP that have a population (maybe younger?) that is still going out, and has places they can go and let loose a bit. Seems those places are no longer in the city. For example, if I wanted to go out in Houston, I'd probably go to The Woodlands for a better atmosphere, and more relaxed clientele. If I was going to go on vacation in the US and wanted some kind of night life while COVID is still front page on the MSM, I'd probably do Arizona or Florida, maybe Vegas as it's reopening.

Ultimately, those looking to travel for nightlife are out of luck. Resorts and outdoors are about the best bet. If you're not in the high risk factor group for COVID mortality, and you have the money; I'd take a trip to Europe and see some of the sites before the crowds return. I've been eyeballing Italy for a fall trip myself.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
At least there is air conditioning about everywhere you go, so unless you're working outdoors, it can't be that miserable. If you choose to spend your free time outdoors, it's really not all that hard to beat the heat.

Now if you are talking about hundred degree heat and no AC and no fan, that would qualify as miserable. There's a reason the Sunbelt didn't start to really boom until after the invention of indoor air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin