U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 07:27 PM

16 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

So we finally moved in this area and after a month i am just appalled by the severe lack of food/restaurants/coffee options within the 5 mile radius. Homes here typically go for $450k+ and yet there is no commercial area close by. The Starbucks is a travesty and the whole area looks kinda run down. Cedar Park has similar homes (Cypress Mill comes to mind) for $20-30k less price range but plethora of options for grocery (sprouts, 2 heb+ ! ), shopping, restaurant , bars etc.

Anyone who lives in this area can share some light ? Do we have plans for commercial stuff opening up next to cat hollow/highland horizon area ? There seems to be huge amount of undeveloped land in this area !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 07:46 PM

6,918 posts, read 9,445,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axorb View Post
So we finally moved in this area and after a month i am just appalled by the severe lack of food/restaurants/coffee options within the 5 mile radius. Homes here typically go for $450k+ and yet there is no commercial area close by. The Starbucks is a travesty and the whole area looks kinda run down. Cedar Park has similar homes (Cypress Mill comes to mind) for $20-30k less price range but plethora of options for grocery (sprouts, 2 heb+ ! ), shopping, restaurant , bars etc.

Anyone who lives in this area can share some light ? Do we have plans for commercial stuff opening up next to cat hollow/highland horizon area ? There seems to be huge amount of undeveloped land in this area !
Up until about 15-20 years ago this area was out in the middle of nowhere. It takes a while to get caught up to the demand (I think of my neighborhood in San Antonio where we moved there in 1988 and had to drive 10-15 minutes to get anything. 1991 we got a Pizza hut, 1996 we got a grocery store. It takes time). Even you feel like things should be there and it doesn't feel "out" to you, it still is. Did you not research that before buying in the area?

Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 PM

9,107 posts, read 9,091,930 times
Sounds like the OP didn’t do much research before moving to that location.

That said there are quite a few decent dining options 15 minutes from that neighborhood - North Austin/Arboretum area, the Domain, the Lakeline area, “downtown” Round Rock...... if one wants to avoid the fast food ilk.

Of course the springtime closures of most of those restaurants didn’t help, but it seems they are reopening.

We moved to the Meadows of Brushy Creek 25 years ago up from Austin and there was absolutely nothing on 620 between the RR hospital and 183.
When my SIL started teaching at RR high school in 1967, the town had a population of about 1,500. 620 was a narrow winding little squirt-top road leading over to the 4 way stop at 183.
Austin was around 200,000.

But yes, this ain’t NYC, LA, or Chicago.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-15-2020 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Up until about 15-20 years ago this area was out in the middle of nowhere. It takes a while to get caught up to the demand (I think of my neighborhood in San Antonio where we moved there in 1988 and had to drive 10-15 minutes to get anything. 1991 we got a Pizza hut, 1996 we got a grocery store. It takes time). Even you feel like things should be there and it doesn't feel "out" to you, it still is. Did you not research that before buying in the area?
I mean i did, i was torn between a new build in wells branch and this area, and i am glad i chose brushy creek / round rock but in general i think i should have driven around a bit more. But to say its out there, thats just not true. I would say liberty hill and hutto are "out there" . The cedar park area i am talking about is literally the same distance from downtown austin as cat hollow. Even the houses are from the same builders and same year (early 2000s) . Even north cedar park/leander has more stuff on Whitestone Blvd ! This area has been around for 25 years , its crazy that surrounding area such as avery ranch has so much more development than here.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Sounds like the OP didn’t do much research before moving to that location.

That said there are quite a few decent dining options 15 minutes from that neighborhood - North Austin/Arboretum area, the Domain, the Lakeline area, “downtown” Round Rock...... if one wants to avoid the fast food ilk.

Of course the springtime closures of most of those restaurants didn’t help, but it seems they are reopening.

We moved to the Meadows of Brushy Creek 25 years ago up from Austin and there was absolutely nothing on 620 between the RR hospital and 183.
When my SIL started teaching at RR high school in 1967, the town had a population of about 1,500. 620 was a narrow winding little squirt-top road leading over to the 4 way stop at 183.
Austin was around 200,000.

But yes, this ain’t NYC, LA, or Chicago.
Definitely agree i am not expecting NYC or LA. I am just comparing it with similar areas from the same time period. Just west of 183 has much more options than east side , land doesn't seem to be an issue and neither does the demand, there is like thousands of people living in this area !

Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 PM

6,785 posts, read 12,162,805 times
Quote:

did you not do the barest amount of research? Anyway there are quite a few coffee places within 5 miles. Summer moon, red horn, lamp post, cuppa.

There are a ton of restaurants off I35 and I would expect more to open on 620 at some point. That area is very new.

There are a few restaurants on 620 close by.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I mean i did, i was torn between a new build in wells branch and this area, and i am glad i chose brushy creek / round rock but in general i think i should have driven around a bit more. But to say its out there, thats just not true. I would say liberty hill and hutto are "out there" . The cedar park area i am talking about is literally the same distance from downtown austin as cat hollow. Even the houses are from the same builders and same year (early 2000s) . Even north cedar park/leander has more stuff on Whitestone Blvd ! This area has been around for 25 years , its crazy that surrounding area such as avery ranch has so much more development than here.
I went to a small regional liberal arts university about an hour south of Austin from 2003-2007. When I met people from Cedar Park they said they were from Cedar Park and not Austin. It was out of Austin. Not so much anymore. Cedar park is what Hurto and Liberty Hill are today. Just out that info perspective. You didn’t do your research and you’re upset. And you bought, no? So now you can t up and move in six months or a year. That’s why renting is preferred. I’ve lived here for five years and have lived in Wells Branch, Windsor Park, just outside of Manchaca and now Montopolis/183. I still don’t know where I would buy a house if I had the finances to.

Also consider that maybe people don’t want to have things on top of them like you seem to want. If that’s what you want you made the wrong decision.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
did you not do the barest amount of research? Anyway there are quite a few coffee places within 5 miles. Summer moon, red horn, lamp post, cuppa.

There are a ton of restaurants off I35 and I would expect more to open on 620 at some point. That area is very new.

There are a few restaurants on 620 close by.
Thank you for some of those coffee shops, i have been to summer moon and cuppa, but didnt know about lamp post, will check it out ! I mean i am happy everyone is telling its my fault on doing more due diligence, and i completely deserve it but that doesnt take away the fact that a suburb with 10/10 schools and approximately 10,000 people doesnt have much options.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you for some of those coffee shops, i have been to summer moon and cuppa, but didnt know about lamp post, will check it out ! I mean i am happy everyone is telling its my fault on doing more due diligence, and i completely deserve it but that doesnt take away the fact that a suburb with 10/10 schools and approximately 10,000 people doesnt have much options.
It does. It was a rural area. And just because the area has a GreatSchoolsRating of 10/10 doesn’t mean anything. Have there ever been any studies that show that a good great schools rating means five Starbucks within a mile? I’d love to see that research.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It does. It was a rural area. And just because the area has a GreatSchoolsRating of 10/10 doesn’t mean anything. Have there ever been any studies that show that a good great schools rating means five Starbucks within a mile? I’d love to see that research.
I am getting schooled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin