U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 10:25 AM

102 posts, read 22,998 times

Advertisements

It doesn't really exist......

The places that are scenic are usually less densely populated. Obviously you can get a condo downtown overlooking the water with a great walk score but that doesn't meet your "space" criteria. The only place might be somewhere along Shoal Creek near West Campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 11:46 AM

147 posts, read 100,467 times
800 or 804 Edgecliff Terrace, Travis Heights

Old 07-06-2020, 06:39 AM

6,818 posts, read 12,202,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
800 or 804 Edgecliff Terrace, Travis Heights
wow those are excellent. Had no idea they existed. Really the whole street fits the criteria. Very nice!

I think there are houses at the end of julius, san saba and pedernales that also meet the criteria.

I forgot I almost bought the house at the end of julius when it was forsale for 118K. It was a huge mistake not to buy.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:28 AM

7,277 posts, read 16,744,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
wow those are excellent. Had no idea they existed. Really the whole street fits the criteria.
How does that meet the criteria? 28 Walkscore, and I thought you were on the fence about downtown views.

No doubt it’s a prime location, but being on the north side of Riverside like that and so close to I35... might be walkable to an extent but not the same neighborhood feel as Tarrytown, Clarksville, or other parts of 78704 IMO. Yes, you can walk across the I35 bridge to downtown and be near a bunch of bars and restaurants, but what about a grocery store?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
How does that meet the criteria? 28 Walkscore, and I thought you were on the fence about downtown views.

No doubt it’s a prime location, but being on the north side of Riverside like that and so close to I35... might be walkable to an extent but not the same neighborhood feel as Tarrytown, Clarksville, or other parts of 78704 IMO. Yes, you can walk across the I35 bridge to downtown and be near a bunch of bars and restaurants, but what about a grocery store?
The view should be of ladybird lake (backs up right to the lake + downtown). All the main south congress restaurants are 3000 ft away. Thoms market riverside is 2000 ft away

Im really excited about those properties!

804 is not on the market, but at some point it was and you can see the listing photos if you search google.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:58 AM

7,277 posts, read 16,744,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The view should be of ladybird lake (backs up right to the lake + downtown). All the main south congress restaurants are 3000 ft away. Thoms market riverside is 2000 ft away

Im really excited about those properties!

804 is not on the market, but at some point it was and you can see the listing photos if you search google.
Right, and those distances to groceries and retail are the reason for the low walkscore (28). Although it probably should get some extra credit for being on the hike and bike train.

Still, I would take Baylor street with 90+ walksore or Tarrytown over the Edgecliff houses, but that’s just me.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Right, and those distances to groceries and retail are the reason for the low walkscore (28). Although it probably should get some extra credit for being on the hike and bike train.

Still, I would take Baylor street with 90+ walksore or Tarrytown over the Edgecliff houses, but that’s just me.
If you look more closely at the edge cliff walkscore numbers there is something wrong with the data.

It is missing thoms market and still has joes crabshack. Maybe they dont have an updated data feed. It is missing things on riverside itself

Old 07-07-2020, 11:46 AM

6,194 posts, read 15,924,712 times
Quote:

Agreed. No direct access to the trail. Have to walk on Riverside or across Riverside. Once across at the light you can get into Travis Heights and to Stacy Park. Noise from IH35 is very noticeable and constant from that location.

If the Stateman site is reveloped as envisioned, I might rethink it, but this is purely a view property with almost zero street trafic, two big pluses, but it's not a home base I would personally enjoy "out and backs" from on foot.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,299,891 times
What was evident to us after an hour on this forum in 2012 and 2015 and will be evident to anyone familiar with the Austin market is that if you really want "walkable" to mean "big city walkable" then your choices are downtown and Mueller.

There is a whole slew of second-tier walkable locations like Hyde Park or Clarksville, but they're still really only walkable compared to your typical Texas suburb. "Pleasant to walk around in" and "can walk to a couple of things" is plenty for most people.

Usually those "walkability" scores bottom out if all you mean is "has sidewalks and is nice." In Mueller we can walk to two different daycares, a ton of restaurants, an HEB with the market district shops, some big commercial areas, and (soon) a hotel.

But you give up other things on the "perfect" list to get that, as most any Texan spending five minutes in Mueller can tell you. Our lot here is Mueller-huge at 1/10th of an acre and the county is positive that the land alone is worth $240,000 ... though we just saw our first homeless person sleeping on a park bench this morning and this is "defund the police" territory, so who knows what it will look like in a few years...

Old Today, 11:20 AM

6,194 posts, read 15,924,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
What was evident to us after an hour on this forum in 2012 and 2015 and will be evident to anyone familiar with the Austin market is that if you really want "walkable" to mean "big city walkable" then your choices are downtown and Mueller.

There is a whole slew of second-tier walkable locations like Hyde Park or Clarksville, but they're still really only walkable compared to your typical Texas suburb. "Pleasant to walk around in" and "can walk to a couple of things" is plenty for most people.

Usually those "walkability" scores bottom out if all you mean is "has sidewalks and is nice." In Mueller we can walk to two different daycares, a ton of restaurants, an HEB with the market district shops, some big commercial areas, and (soon) a hotel.

But you give up other things on the "perfect" list to get that, as most any Texan spending five minutes in Mueller can tell you. Our lot here is Mueller-huge at 1/10th of an acre and the county is positive that the land alone is worth $240,000 ... though we just saw our first homeless person sleeping on a park bench this morning and this is "defund the police" territory, so who knows what it will look like in a few years...

i agree with this assessment. I will add that one person's "great walk-ability" may be different than another's.

I have a second home in Wimberley now and go on morning walks every morning. Compared to the other house in SW Austin, it's two completely different "morning walk" experiences. In Wimberley I can walk alongside the Blanco River, but do so on the edge of a two lane road with no sidewalks. So I am very "traffic aware" and take measures to stay safe. I see a LOT of wildlife and rather enjoy the unrefined, rustic rawness, and the diversity. On a 2-3 mile walk I'll pass both multi-million dollar riverfront homes and beat up mobile homes. I can also walk to a great BBQ joint, 3 coffee places, an HEB and the "town square", none of which I do at present.

In SW Austin the morning walk is a combination of suburban neighborhood (Western Oaks) to the hike/bike nature trail which leads to Dick Nocols Park and around its 1 mile loop and back again. It's "pretty", but not rustic and no traffic worries.

My SO likes the morning walks in Austin more than Wimberley and I'm the opposite. Both have "destinations" to go to on foot, like a coffee shop, and that's about all we need. We would never go to a fraction of the places available to walk to downtown, so I see no reason to pay for that type of "walk score".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or