U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 PM

16 posts, read 7,602 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We're living in an apartment in southwest Austin currently and interested in checking out homes in the Bee Cave area. We're pretty early on and just want to drive around some of the neighborhoods to get a feeling if it's something we would really like, right now we just just kind of know the shopping, dining and main roads. I don't really want to ask a realtor so thought I would turn to the great people here for some quick help.

Could anyone recommend some neighborhoods to drive through that would have some home prices (or condos) close to $400k and no more than $500k? I've been looking on zillow and there just isn't that much on the market and what is there I just don't know if it's representative of the rest of the subdivision or neighborhood that it's in. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 08:40 PM

6,942 posts, read 9,460,177 times
Did you try a search on Austin home search.com or Zillow? If you know the area you want to be I. Why not just try a search?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,266,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dogg59 View Post
Hi everyone. We're living in an apartment in southwest Austin currently and interested in checking out homes in the Bee Cave area. We're pretty early on and just want to drive around some of the neighborhoods to get a feeling if it's something we would really like, right now we just just kind of know the shopping, dining and main roads. I don't really want to ask a realtor so thought I would turn to the great people here for some quick help.

Could anyone recommend some neighborhoods to drive through that would have some home prices (or condos) close to $400k and no more than $500k? I've been looking on zillow and there just isn't that much on the market and what is there I just don't know if it's representative of the rest of the subdivision or neighborhood that it's in. Thanks in advance for any help!
Generally you're probably looking at starting at your top end in that area, which is why you haven't found much. As suggested, find one or two that seem to fit your general criteria and figure out how far from Bee Cave proper you're willing to be and just head on out there. You also need to decide if you like the area enough to settle for a condo or possibly a fixer upper house if that forms the majority of what you actually like in that area.

Now that open houses are a thing again, you should attend some and chat up the realtors. This also gives you the opportunity to 'interview' a few realtors as well as possibly get some insights. I'd think that if you're remotely serious about moving out there, at that price range, that having a realtor would be close to an absolute must as the most desirable 'inexpensive' stuff is likely to go quite fast..

Old 06-23-2020, 10:39 AM

6,119 posts, read 7,252,698 times
Just do a search of the 78738 zip code and put in your max budget.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the responses but still wondering if anyone could suggest the names of a couple subdivisions/neighborhoods. I searched on zillow and currently there's only 12 homes for sale, all $600k+. It very well may be that some of those homes are the cheapest in the neighborhood or maybe the most expensive. It's hard to judge based on what's currently on the market because it might not be a representative sample of the neighborhood it's in.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:10 PM

6,119 posts, read 7,252,698 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses but still wondering if anyone could suggest the names of a couple subdivisions/neighborhoods. I searched on zillow and currently there's only 12 homes for sale, all $600k+. It very well may be that some of those homes are the cheapest in the neighborhood or maybe the most expensive. It's hard to judge based on what's currently on the market because it might not be a representative sample of the neighborhood it's in.
First, don't use Zillow; it sucks. Use Realtor dot com or Austin Home Search dot com. Also, many houses that have a Lakeway or even Ausin mailing address are actually in Bee Cave (houses in Falconhead come to mind), so just searching Bee Cave may be inaccurate. Zip code for Bee Cave is 78738. Also, your price point is very low for Bee Cave, so you're going to have a hard time finding anything less than $500K. If you expand your search to include Lakeway, you will find a lot more, and it's really the same area. Like it's literally impossible to tell where Lakeway ends and Bee Cave begins, same school, etc.

For example, this house is in Bee Cave, but it's mailing address is Austin.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,754,607 times
Quote:
Look at "sold" houses on zillow to get a better example.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:08 PM

6,807 posts, read 12,178,954 times
when you say "bee cave area" what exactly do you mean? Using 78738 I get 29 homes under 500K

austinhomesearch.com is the official austin board of realtors MLS. They have the most accurate listings. Though sometimes they are too accurate. I can sometimes find things on redfin/trulia/zillow that have been pulled from austinhomesearch. Sometimes the pictures in the 3rd party websites are better.

There is an agent on here "falconhead west" who probably specializes in that area..

Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,372 times
Have you checked out the Sweetwater neighborhood? It's outside Bee Cave city limits by a few miles, but still in LTISD. There are houses listed in your price range. Lake Travis Middle School is directly across 71 and growth is headed that way....

Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 PM

Thanks, we’ll definitely check out the sweet water neighborhood. We don’t have to be in bee cave city limits but don’t really want to go too far down 620 or 71. I’ve never heard of austinhomesearch.com and didn’t even think about checking sold listings onZillow so I’ll definitely heck those out also. Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin