U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2020, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
99 posts, read 111,570 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Hello,
so we had a stopped up toilet that led to a much worse situation where we had backflow into the bathroom (minor flooding, but awful).
I had a plumber come out and they snaked the line from the outside to determine where the blockage was.
Then the plumber sent out a camara guy and told us about the real problem, which was major tree root infestation.
It was debated whether the blockage occurred on the city side of the line or the house side of the line. The city came out (water district 17) with a camara and they said it was on the house side, so they are not responsible for fixing it.

I called the plumber again and got an estimate to fix it --and I'm still in shock over the estimate I got:

almost $4,000 to repair. Is that insane? I don't see any other way around fixing it because it could happen again. I already have to replace the carpeting in the 2 closets next to the bathroom, which probably won't cost much, but never the less, I'm in shock. What should I do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2020, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
2,236 posts, read 6,522,373 times
Reputation: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasipmom View Post
Hello,
so we had a stopped up toilet that led to a much worse situation where we had backflow into the bathroom (minor flooding, but awful).
I had a plumber come out and they snaked the line from the outside to determine where the blockage was.
Then the plumber sent out a camara guy and told us about the real problem, which was major tree root infestation.
It was debated whether the blockage occurred on the city side of the line or the house side of the line. The city came out (water district 17) with a camara and they said it was on the house side, so they are not responsible for fixing it.

I called the plumber again and got an estimate to fix it --and I'm still in shock over the estimate I got:

almost $4,000 to repair. Is that insane? I don't see any other way around fixing it because it could happen again. I already have to replace the carpeting in the 2 closets next to the bathroom, which probably won't cost much, but never the less, I'm in shock. What should I do????

Fix it or set up a permanent porto-potty in the back yard.


The cost to replace it can vary based on the factors of your situation. That sounds about on par for a typical 35' - 50' run. You can obtain other estimates as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,541 posts, read 30,091,736 times
Reputation: 7161
For simply replacing a water cutoff valve in our yard, the estimates were $600 to $800. And that was just digging up a couple of square feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
9,167 posts, read 9,133,020 times
Reputation: 8137
Maybe your homeowners insurance will cover some of the costs.

There is a reason why the last plumber I used 20 years ago was able to travel to Las Vegas several times a year to stay in nice comped suites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 08:10 PM
 
304 posts, read 600,676 times
Reputation: 308
how old is your house? I had an older home that had a clay main drain - easy for the roots to infest. it was replaced with a plastic one that will last much longer. you may not have to pay for this again, do your research.
they also sell, at home depot (probably lowes too) some root killer that you can pour down your drain to try and kill the roots. this will offer only temporary relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 09:24 PM
 
6,818 posts, read 12,200,552 times
Reputation: 3442
in my area, the houses from the 60s all have iron pipes. All of them rust out and need to be replaced inside the foundation. That is about 40-60K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2020, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
99 posts, read 111,570 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpvarian View Post
how old is your house? I had an older home that had a clay main drain - easy for the roots to infest. it was replaced with a plastic one that will last much longer. you may not have to pay for this again, do your research.
they also sell, at home depot (probably lowes too) some root killer that you can pour down your drain to try and kill the roots. this will offer only temporary relief.
The house is 20 years old. The plumber said there could have been a hole or crack that the roots got through and since they are attracted to water...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 AM
 
47 posts, read 20,390 times
Reputation: 159
This happened to my parents. Price sounds a little high, but in the ball park. It may just be a difference in amount/location of drain pipe affected. Don't think you have much of a choice on this one. My dad's a DIY type, very tight about spending money to contract work; and he eventually caved and spent the money. However, he always waits until low season (Dec-Feb) to get a better deal. Sounds like your specific situation may not allow for delaying the work though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2020, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
99 posts, read 111,570 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Maybe your homeowners insurance will cover some of the costs.

There is a reason why the last plumber I used 20 years ago was able to travel to Las Vegas several times a year to stay in nice comped suites.
Checked with my home owner's insurance -- the estimate they gave me came just under the deductible, but also, they apparently don't cover sewer-related issues. They did say that since it is my neighbor's tree, I could actually ask them to split the cost, but that seems kind of crazy because no one has any control over where the roots of a tree grow and their line doesn't appear to be affected, at least as far as we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,541 posts, read 30,091,736 times
Reputation: 7161
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasipmom View Post
Checked with my home owner's insurance -- the estimate they gave me came just under the deductible, but also, they apparently don't cover sewer-related issues. They did say that since it is my neighbor's tree, I could actually ask them to split the cost, but that seems kind of crazy because no one has any control over where the roots of a tree grow and their line doesn't appear to be affected, at least as far as we know.
I certainly would not go there....no idea where YOUR tree roots may end up one day. Also, not sure if this is a valid claim; certainly, one could challenge it in court and there goes any savings 'down the drain'

In any case, a major part of the cost is the digging up of the sewer line run. If you are willing to do this yourself or have a someone with cheaper labor cost do it, you might save a substantial amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top