Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:11 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles Area for me - Where I came from, particularly the extreme beach areas in walking distance. I don't like the opening and closing of restaurants and bars as quickly as it was reopened here in AUS. Not for me with waiting it out. I can't meet new people and nobody seems to want to do so either. Just a strange time right now around here. Having the Governor shut everything down again was, personally, the dividing line a few weeks ago. As another used mentioned, just because people contract the virus doesn't mean it's an immediate death. And believe it or not, Texas and California have *WAY* less deaths than say NJ but nobody wants to report on that.

My immediate family is either in NJ (near NYC) or MA at the moment and scared to death of stepping out of their homes (especially in NJ.) I really can't risk going up there at all right now. My Grandfather even passed away a few months ago and specifically told me not to fly for that event and even missed that as well. Also my family is a mess and I'd rather avoid them. Many didn't even call or reach out on my Birthday (the 12th.) Both NJ and AUS seem to have their slew of seriously douchey people and I'd rather not be around it at the moment.

IDK how CA is doing by comparison, but with Austin it has brought out the worst in people for the most part. The superficial / groupie s*** in downtown hasn't subsided and that's all you can hang with at the moment. Sad but true. It reminds me a lot of when I lived in Denver a few years ago and had no problem throwing the Middle Finger in public at these idiots (I have no problem being spineless in return if they wanna talk trash behind my back). People just aren't welcoming around here and just very stuffy and trashy. Everything from "Millennial Trash" telling you to "EXCUSE ME!" as they plow down crosswalks on scooters or women in groups just sneering at you exiting a bar. Hey, it wouldn't happen to me in CA with this garbage, what's they're deal?

Also my rent is nearly cheaper out there (hard to believe) but at this point, I'd rather roll the dice than stay here. Sorry not sorry, I don't fit in here or in NYC for the most part. Just going to where my gut tells me after a year. It sucks, but that's the way it is. COVID-19 really sealed the deal.

Last edited by N610DL; 07-14-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 08:43 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Los Angeles Area for me - Where I came from, particularly the extreme beach areas in walking distance. I don't like the opening and closing of restaurants and bars as quickly as it was reopened here in AUS. Not for me with waiting it out. I can't meet new people and nobody seems to want to do so either. Just a strange time right now around here. Having the Governor shut everything down again was, personally, the dividing line a few weeks ago. As another used mentioned, just because people contract the virus doesn't mean it's an immediate death. And believe it or not, Texas and California have *WAY* less deaths than say NJ but nobody wants to report on that.

My immediate family is either in NJ (near NYC) or MA at the moment and scared to death of stepping out of their homes (especially in NJ.) I really can't risk going up there at all right now. My Grandfather even passed away a few months ago and specifically told me not to fly for that event and even missed that as well. Also my family is a mess and I'd rather avoid them. Many didn't even call or reach out on my Birthday (the 12th.) Both NJ and AUS seem to have their slew of seriously douchey people and I'd rather not be around it at the moment.

IDK how CA is doing by comparison, but with Austin it has brought out the worst in people for the most part. The superficial / groupie s*** in downtown hasn't subsided and that's all you can hang with at the moment. Sad but true. It reminds me a lot of when I lived in Denver a few years ago and had no problem throwing the Middle Finger in public at these idiots (I have no problem being spineless in return if they wanna talk trash behind my back). People just aren't welcoming around here and just very stuffy and trashy. Everything from "Millennial Trash" telling you to "EXCUSE ME!" as they plow down crosswalks on scooters or women in groups just sneering at you exiting a bar. Hey, it wouldn't happen to me in CA with this garbage, what's they're deal?

Also my rent is nearly cheaper out there (hard to believe) but at this point, I'd rather roll the dice than stay here. Sorry not sorry, I don't fit in here or in NYC for the most part. Just going to where my gut tells me after a year. It sucks, but that's the way it is. COVID-19 really sealed the deal.

Wait, what?! You are going to LA? They are hit even harder with COVID than we are! $5000 fine for not wearing a mask in public! No restaurants or bars there either. You better get out there quick because a full lockdown is likely coming. Good luck

Old 07-15-2020, 08:54 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Wait, what?! You are going to LA? They are hit even harder with COVID than we are! $5000 fine for not wearing a mask in public! No restaurants or bars there either. You better get out there quick because a full lockdown is likely coming. Good luck
Is that what it said he/she was doing? I couldn't quite make it out.....

Old 07-15-2020, 12:09 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Ya both misunderstood my point. I agree wholeheartedly this is not the flu, nothing like the flu, worse than the flu. But in regard to whether or not it is sensible to send your own kid, the decision IS like the flu, and dozens of other contagious ailments.

Statistically, you (at an individual level) know if your are more likely to have a bad time (for instance, if you kids' class was having a Peanut Day - can you send your kid? But I am in no way saying peanuts are COVID. What if they were visiting a honey-hive? Bees? Some of you find that sensible - others terrifying. I am not saying COVID is a bee.

I am saying sensible decision vary - and I should not have used the (apparently confusing) parallel of another illness (the flu) as an example.

Nevertheless - at an individual level - your child has a very - very - tiny risk of having a serious problem with COVID. Not zero risk. But tiny. JUST like the flu. Maybe your child has asthma. In that case - catching pneumonia at school could be deadly. That doesn't mean I'm saying COVID is pneumonia.

But - IF you believe the Risk is too great - I am not sure how you ever send your child to any school - as the risk of dying in the car on the way there is certainly greater than the risk of dying from Covid. (Your child, I mean...not necessarily you.)

Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
hard shutdown like the whole nation should have done with the rest of the Developed World three months ago.
The rest of the world did not do that. Not at once. Italy did it. Then Spain. Then France. Then UK. And so on.

Locking down Austin - when New York was at the peak - was totally not going to fly. We are too geographically separated to have any national response that would have worked. Since it hadn't really been to Austin yet - it would have appeared, as soon as you opened up - in a month, a year, whenever. The key was moderation. NY did not do that.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:30 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I am not worried about my kids, really - they will (it seems) be fine whether they get it or not. The worry is about all the schools become nexus for spreading the virus to huge numbers of the adults.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:29 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am not worried about my kids, really - they will (it seems) be fine whether they get it or not. The worry is about all the schools become nexus for spreading the virus to huge numbers of the adults.
This.

People still seem to have no idea how this works and why participation on a mass level is so important to keep this down. They are only thinking of it at a personal level and don't seem to understand that negligence on their part can cost the life of someone else.

And I too also have to question the sensibility of someone relocating to Los Angeles because they're irritated with how Austin and Texas in general is handling the Pandemic in terms of personal rights. It's going to be 10x worse there. They were among the first places to shut down and remained shut down for a considerable period of time. The main reason we shut down again is because we reopened and quickly tried to go back to 'normal life' barring no precautions and consequently overwhelmed out healthcare system.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:37 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
hard shutdown like the whole nation should have done with the rest of the Developed World three months ago.
The rest of the world did not do that. Not at once. Italy did it. Then Spain. Then France. Then UK. And so on.
They didn't start at the exact same time, but they all started within 2-3 weeks of each other, and they all lasted until at least the end of April, if not into June. Most of the Developed World was, indeed, sheltering in place properly at the same time. That reduced the economic opportunity cost of shutting down, and the populations of those countries took it seriously, which suppressed the spread effectively enough that they can reopen with widespread testing, contact tracing, and localized shutdowns as necessary. Even then, they're opening much more cautiously than the Sunbelt states did.

Quote:
Locking down Austin - when New York was at the peak - was totally not going to fly. We are too geographically separated to have any national response that would have worked. Since it hadn't really been to Austin yet - it would have appeared, as soon as you opened up - in a month, a year, whenever. The key was moderation. NY did not do that.
You're completely missing the fact that covid was already in Austin before it could even be tested for. The shelter-in-place order was instated March 21, at which point the virus was wreaking havoc on the Northeast. Because of how novel diseases spread exponentially, every day of inaction has exponential effects. Austin made the right call to shelter-in-place when it did.

This virus has a very long incubation period and a high asymptomatic rate. Geographic separation doesn't mean much to it when a population is highly mobile. That's why everyone should have stopped moving at the same time. The whole country could have learned from the tragedies in the early outbreak centers. They could have taken the shutdowns seriously, which would have given governments time to prepare and would have suppressed this virus to a point that it could be tracked effectively without requiring additional shutdowns.

But the Sunbelt states weren't content to see others burn themselves; they had to touch the fire too. The shutdown and mask precaution weren't taken seriously by a significant portion of the population, so transmission, though slowed, never even saw a peak in many states that started reopening. The reopening plans were phased too quickly to give proper time windows for data collection and analysis.

Our nation is fundamentally flawed if you're trying to imply that security issues caused by freedom of movement between the states can't be handled at the national level. Legally and logistically, this was well within the wheelhouse of the feds to do, but culturally, if there are parts of the country that want to endanger other parts of the country because they won't acknowledge the physics of epidemiology, then maybe we are too culturally divergent to be an effective nation.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:51 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
For me I'm heading to one of the Beach Cities in the South Bay and has it's own municipality (so technically L.A. County but not the City of L.A.) and likely establishes different laws for going out to bars and restaurants.

There's one *big* differentiator with COVID-19 between most of the Sun Belt and the Northeast: Death Count. Texas is currently around 3,500 & California is around 7,200. New Jersey is at 15,634 and a few weeks ago death count was below 13K. So yes, the death rate is still going up out there and it would take an insane amount of virus contraction for states like TX and CA to catch up to NJ. It's insane to believe the death rate of COVID is double in NJ versus the entire state of CA. And NY is beyond comprehension with over 32K total dead at this point.

Another point of comparison: Confirmed cases in TX is 286,000 and NJ is 178,000 but the death count is nearly 5x greater in NJ than TX.

I also have friends in NJ who's parents and extended family caught it and got over it relatively quickly. When I talk to friends and family in NJ they often ask "do you know of anyone *personally* who caught the virus and died" and the answer is a hard no. However, it seems like everyone I talk to in NJ knows at least one person by some association who has. Bottom line: It seems like absolute hell to be up there right now compared to most of the country.

Honestly, I have no idea of the timeline of fully reopening anywhere at this point. I'm willing to bet it's going to be similar with CA, TX, AZ no matter where you go.

Last edited by N610DL; 07-15-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 03:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am worried about my kids and adults. Kids are good for being vectors, that I know, but COVID in kids is still being studied. Before I say that by default they'll be "fine", I'd like to see it over a period of time, especially the long term effects of Covid 19 after the initial infection.

Not to mention my daughter is absolutely miserable when she has the flu. Even though I know that she has a high chance of recovering, especially since I am vigilant with the vaccinations and she takes Tamiflu, it's a horrible experience for her. Covid has no vaccine and there's no Tamiflu, and to willingly send my daughter to school under those circumstances is a no can do. That being said, I am grateful that at least one of us has the ability to see it through if instruction is virtual. Maybe if there are less kids in the school, those who are forced (or want) to send their kids to school will have smaller class sizes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin