Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

I disagree. All of the employers in Austin aren't strictly located downtown. There are other employers out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
the "suburban crap" will be the salvage heaps and slums of the future when gas goes up to $10 a gallon or so. Just sayin'
We live where we work, and thus are not car dependant... Just sayin'.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
We live where we work, and thus are not car dependant... Just sayin'.
Are you sure you're not a Clinton fan? I'm kind of getting that vibe. Just kiddin'

Anyways, good for you in living close to your employer. It's a good thing there will always be huge campus employers around, and the ability to sustain Walmarts, Targets, and their 3000 mile supply chains to sustain the suburbs.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Hmmmm...I would have to commute far longer if I live in the Mueller development or downtown. I currently fill my gas tank about once a month and live (in the suburbs) within walking distance from groceries, dinning, quality schools, and parks. Me moving downtown would be anti-productive in almost all respects. While obviously not all the people in my neighborhood work that close, quite a few do (Freescale, various medical professionals, and various office type workers with offices outside the city)

On the other hand, if I took a job downtown, I would look at living closer to work. I personally hate commuting very far. But the assumption that the historical model of work in the city center and live in the suburbs may not change to live/work in the city center, it may morph into a live/work in one of many suburban centers.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But the assumption that the historical model of work in the city center and live in the suburbs may not change to live/work in the city center, it may morph into a live/work in one of many suburban centers.
That's not a bad thing either. Most of my concern is aimed at far-flung suburbs that are far away from employment and shopping, and a style of development that eats up the countryside at an alarming pace.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
It's a good thing there will always be huge campus employers around, and the ability to sustain Walmarts, Targets, and their 3000 mile supply chains to sustain the suburbs.
If the city density goes up, then all those chains will follow to the city center, as well. And the supply chain will then be 3010 miles long...

I am not against densification, I think it is a necessary and positive change, but the assumption that it is the end-all/be-all is probably not true (at least imho).

Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM

65 posts, read 219,906 times
I'm of the belief NO way is the "correct" way to be. So live the way you want to live, And don't concern yourself with the way other people chose to live. I notice more and more and more people judging what other people are doing, and how they are living (probably to make themselves feel better about who they are).
I think that if you are happy and have the things you want in life then you are a success. Really thats all that matters.
I'm the kinda of person who likes my 3000Sf home in the suburbs. I'm happy there and really couldn't care less what other people think about it. Cause in the end, Their opinions don't affect my life at all. They never will.
Chris2000

Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM

72 posts, read 198,390 times
Multi-centered cities are definitely the future--well, they're the "now" in many places actually. It's certainly true that condos downtown are too expensive and small for most families who live elsewhere in the City. We've made the decision as a society over the past 50 years plus to subsidize highway construction and much infrastructure development, which coupled with cheap gas and plentiful land, has allowed many of us to live in far-flung suburban and exurban locations. As fuel costs rise it will be interesting to see what we're willing to do in order to allow millions to retain this lifestyle (gas tax "holidays," drilling everywhere imaginable, turning all our corn into ethanol, etc.)

That being said, many of the older suburbs are indeed becoming "urban" in terms of density, walkability, etc. and have or will form major centers for work, entertainment, and higher density housing. Truth is though, most people drive at least 20 minutes to get to work every day. There are even "retrofits" of traditional cul-de-sac suburbs into more urban forms. The references to Congress for the New Urbanism made earlier should direct you one group's idea of a middle road between highrise downtown condos and suburban single-use single-family tract homes on a quarter acre. Many new urbanist development are in suburban environments and the densities, while greater than most 1970s-1990s sprawl, are closer the 1940s-1960s densities (garage apartments, alleys, narrower side yards, smaller front yards closer to the streets, privacy in the backyards, etc.) found in some of central Austin's neighborhoods.

We're in a stage where downtown living is popular for a significant number of people, but the supply is small, so prices are high. The more of something there is, the cheaper it will get. In Austin, the price and demand pressure is exacerbated by our general popularity as a place to relocate. Maybe in 20 years or more when there are a large number of apartments, mixed-use structures, and condos in the central core, pricing will seem more in line with other options. That may not help folks now, but we're an impatient lot and cities last for centuries.

If you consider how much highways cost; how much more per capita infrastructure costs in low density vs high density areas; the added fuel costs of commutes; the lost or degraded farmland and natural areas; and a host of other things that come out of sprawl, it may only be cheaper due to our public policies favoring and subsidizing this type of development. To you and me, it's cheaper, but society is perhaps subsidizing it considerably.

It may be interesting to consider that there has been a tendency for cities to sprawl throughout history, especially when outside threats like invasion were unlikely--and indeed in Europe sprawl, single family detached living, and other "American-style" suburban traits are much more common than I'd expect. I've heard the theory maybe people generally want more space (to a point) and will seek to gain it as long as their income and resources will allow it, that it's somehow hardwired in most of us. Maybe that's why so many of us are willing to pay taxes to subsidize it.

Anyway, it's nice to say that no one else's opinion matters, and as long as you have the financial resources and the desire to live your chosen way in your chosen place, that's probably true. Again, I'll be curious what decisions we'll make as a society if and when we see $10/gallon gas (or extreme and long-lived drought, or an inability to live on credit indefinitely, etc.) Unfortunatley, other people's opinions (like voters in the rest of Texas, or in Ohio/Florida/etc., or in Congress, or the Whitehouse, or possibly, though not hopefully, in the banks of China or Hong Kong) do affect us all the time.

Last edited by geoquiz3000; 05-02-2008 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM

85 posts, read 129,278 times
Free spirits are always welcome. On the other hand, there's the saying, "You made your bed, now lay in it." If you were a Californian some other blue state refugee who voted for absurd taxes and needless regulations while the going was good (until it wasn't), please leave your old voting habits behind. We have a good thing going here and don't want to kill the goose that lays golden eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoquiz3000 View Post
I'll be curious what decisions we'll make as a society if and when we see $10/gallon gas (or extreme and long-lived drought, or an inability to live on credit indefinitely, etc.) Unfortunatley, other people's opinions (like voters in the rest of Texas, or in Ohio/Florida/etc., or in Congress, or the Whitehouse, or possibly, though not hopefully, in the banks of China or Hong Kong) do affect us all the time.
Blue state voting habits cause $10/gallon gas, not supply chains. Ask Europeans.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
If the city density goes up, then all those chains will follow to the city center, as well. And the supply chain will then be 3010 miles long...

I am not against densification, I think it is a necessary and positive change, but the assumption that it is the end-all/be-all is probably not true (at least imho).
High density has it's good points and bad.
I grew up in NYC. Didn't need a car at all.

But once I got old enough I fled to more "open" spaces.
I've since landed on a 45 acre ranch.

I had my fill of density and want elbow room now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin