U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2020, 09:23 AM
 
127 posts, read 85,763 times
Reputation: 213

Advertisements

City of Austin will propose massive city property tax increase to fund the Texas version of Boston's Big Dig




https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...ment-measures/




Who's excited!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2020, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Austin TX
7,867 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Reputation: 9802
The desires of Austin taxpayers mean nothing to this City Council. Voters are completely ignored here. They’ll continue to ram this transit plan down our throats year after year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
11,543 posts, read 11,328,168 times
Reputation: 15839
I'm pro transit, but if I were an Austin tax payer, I'd be pissed that the bulk of this grandiose "Project Connect" is coming from my pocket. Why? Because it fails to address the many underserved areas of Austin that lack even bus service. In NYC, it's transit for all, whether you are rich, poor, or in between. When I last looked at the lines, they didn't appear to go to areas that have lower income populations. The people who will benefit from this mostly are Austin yuppies, developers, and maybe students. The underground component just seems silly.

Considering CapMetro took a hit due to COVID, I'm surprised theyre pushing forward with this thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 10:32 AM
 
127 posts, read 85,763 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm pro transit, but if I were an Austin tax payer, I'd be pissed that the bulk of this grandiose "Project Connect" is coming from my pocket. Why? Because it fails to address the many underserved areas of Austin that lack even bus service. In NYC, it's transit for all, whether you are rich, poor, or in between. When I last looked at the lines, they didn't appear to go to areas that have lower income populations. The people who will benefit from this mostly are Austin yuppies, developers, and maybe students. The underground component just seems silly.

Considering CapMetro took a hit due to COVID, I'm surprised theyre pushing forward with this thing.

Those that benefit are the ones who will feel most of the the tax burden which would pay for this whole thing though, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
7,020 posts, read 9,532,205 times
Reputation: 4149
I did a phone survey on this in early June. One of the questions was like “is this a good time to put this on the ballot/should we do it at the full level/lower cost/piece together.” And I was kind of like “Really? Now?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
11,543 posts, read 11,328,168 times
Reputation: 15839
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
Those that benefit are the ones who will feel most of the the tax burden which would pay for this whole thing though, right?
Lower income people pay property taxes too My friend is not lower income, but she lives in an area of south austin that is underserved by mass transit. I don't think she would be happy to pay increased taxes to help bring about a system that in no way addresses her needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
7,020 posts, read 9,532,205 times
Reputation: 4149
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Lower income people pay property taxes too My friend is not lower income, but she lives in an area of south austin that is underserved by mass transit. I don't think she would be happy to pay increased taxes to help bring about a system that in no way addresses her needs.
Or would some of these increases increase service to those areas? (I think I know the area you are speaking of_)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 11:50 AM
 
127 posts, read 85,763 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Lower income people pay property taxes too My friend is not lower income, but she lives in an area of south austin that is underserved by mass transit. I don't think she would be happy to pay increased taxes to help bring about a system that in no way addresses her needs.



Yes yes, of course. I did say most of the tax burden, not all.


But, you're missing the point! She should be thrilled, as this benefits the collective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
11,543 posts, read 11,328,168 times
Reputation: 15839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Or would some of these increases increase service to those areas? (I think I know the area you are speaking of_)
Not from what I saw. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
Yes yes, of course. I did say most of the tax burden, not all.


But, you're missing the point! She should be thrilled, as this benefits the collective!
No need to throw out the headsmack emoji, sir.

I am well aware that you said "most". And your point was kind of vague. You asked a simple question.

And no, she isn't thrilled, and if you can't see why, then [insert shrug emoji].

Just because something benefits the "collective", doesn't mean that I cannot see why some feel the way she, as an individual taxpayer, feels. BTW, prior to the pandemic I took the "transit" every day and I stated that I was pro transit. I'm merely saying that I can understand why people may feel the way that I do because Project Connect isn't addressing the underserved areas either by bus or train and the underground idea is novel but sparks a reaction of "eh" from me. Like the Waller Creek thing. Constructing anything underground will take a lot of money (see 2nd Avenue subway as a reference) and it's just not really needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 02:00 PM
 
4,870 posts, read 2,002,977 times
Reputation: 3813
I personally believe that everyone is wanting a all in one plan to service the entire city which I personally feel is unrealistic at this point. I believe through time and prudence that more and more areas will be reached. I think it will have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top