Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM

415 posts, read 371,126 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am looking at rental properties and my final houses are in Round Rock and Georgetown. I am a 31 yr old single female, no kids, and it is just my dog and I. I really like both houses and neighborhoods so it really just comes down to what is more desirable location wise. I have lived in Austin since September but the south west side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 07:56 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi guys,

I am looking at rental properties and my final houses are in Round Rock and Georgetown. I am a 31 yr old single female, no kids, and it is just my dog and I. I really like both houses and neighborhoods so it really just comes down to what is more desirable location wise. I have lived in Austin since September but the south west side of town.
Round Rock IMO is overall more desirable but can’t go wrong with either asside from commuting. I would probably choose Round Rock to shave 5 minutes off my commute if commuting outside those areas but both are a pain to get to Austin from on I-35. If commuting isn’t a issue then Georgetown because it’s less expensive.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:16 PM

415 posts, read 371,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Round Rock IMO is overall more desirable but can’t go wrong with either asside from commuting. I would probably choose Round Rock to shave 5 minutes off my commute if commuting outside those areas but both are a pain to get to Austin from on I-35. If commuting isn’t a issue then Georgetown because it’s less expensive.
I am remote so commuting isn't a problem, but I was wondering what may have more to do locally. Shopping, movie theater etc.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:22 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
From what I hear from the G'town folks, there is a single internet provider in the city limits (or most of the city limits?) and everyone seems to hate them - Suddenlink, I think? I have no first-hand knowledge, though.

Georgetown is quite a bit closer to 'getting out in the country' compared to RR these days. RR has become more embedded in development.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:53 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Downtown Georgetown actually wasn’t terrible, but Round Rock ranks over it. Between those two Round Rock is the better pick for your criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
From what I hear from the G'town folks, there is a single internet provider in the city limits (or most of the city limits?) and everyone seems to hate them - Suddenlink, I think? I have no first-hand knowledge, though.

Georgetown is quite a bit closer to 'getting out in the country' compared to RR these days. RR has become more embedded in development.
I can attest that Suddenlink is terrible. I had the option between them and AT&T in Leander. AT&T’s fiber head-ends have problems with the multiple MAC Addresses associated between my home network and the VM’s I run when I perform an IP-Passthrough to my server and I was forced to switch in effort to get it to work. I cant customize my modem, change port maps, WiFi SSID’s or encryption keys without calling them. They literally disabled this functionality. I managed to hack it to change my WiFi password but that was about as far as I could go with it. Add to that their is no one speaking fluent English in any of their support channels.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:35 AM

416 posts, read 588,418 times
See, I have the opposite opinion. Moved to GT four years ago, and think RR is sliding. I haven't regretted the decision at all.

Downtown RR is a string of bars, mostly. Now, if COVID doesn't decimate the businesses, GT has all sorts of little boutique businesses on the square and is attracting/opening good restaurants just outside the square every month.

It really depends on what you're after and what you're willing to pay.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:11 PM

43 posts, read 52,850 times
As I noticed you posted about Rancho Sienna, that part of Georgetown is rapidly changing. And as I said new developments I know of are getting announced publicly very soon. What part of Round Rock are you looking at? Some parts of it may not be so desirable.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:20 PM

216 posts, read 179,685 times
While maybe not too big issue, there is no electricity choice in Georgetown unlike in Round Rock, maybe couple hundred annual difference

Old 08-03-2020, 12:01 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Round rock is absolutely not sliding. Not at all. The downtown area has lots of eating establishments AND bars. There are other types of shops along mays street. Both cities are nice. The gtown town square is nice and reminiscent of small town USA. Downtown round rock is also quaint and has turned into a desirable area because of its walkability. I’d give the nod to both now.

Both are desirable in their own way but at your age you’d be better served in round rock. It’s closer to Austin, which is not a bad thing. It has bus service. There’s also imho more amenities geared for people in their 30s. While gtown is trending younger most of the populace remains older or families.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Downtown Georgetown actually wasn’t terrible, but Round Rock ranks over it. Between those two Round Rock is the better pick for your criteria.

I can attest that Suddenlink is terrible. I had the option between them and AT&T in Leander. AT&T’s fiber head-ends have problems with the multiple MAC Addresses associated between my home network and the VM’s I run when I perform an IP-Passthrough to my server and I was forced to switch in effort to get it to work. I cant customize my modem, change port maps, WiFi SSID’s or encryption keys without calling them. They literally disabled this functionality. I managed to hack it to change my WiFi password but that was about as far as I could go with it. Add to that their is no one speaking fluent English in any of their support channels.
you can use any of the following third party modems with suddenlink

https://www.approvedmodems.com/suddenlink.html

I would always use a separate wifi access point/router and keep the modem only a modem. The all in one devices do too much and often have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin