Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 02:06 PM

11,648 posts, read 7,783,278 times

Advertisements

Bouncing between different CD forums and its brought up a bit in Atlanta and its pretty much culture in Los Angeles to the decree noone really talks about it. It seems to be an issue in DFW and Houston too but doesnt get talked about very much. Atlanta, Chicago and LA get pretty bad because they will close off major roads (I'm talking interstates full of traffic here) to perform stunt and show off.

I haven't seen such a culture in Austin, but I don't doubt it exists given the amount of youth here. I don't street race, however I've been challenged probably twice since I've moved here and witnessed several 'kids' driving sports cars way faster than they should along 183 and sometimes I-35. I've been told its a problem along 620 out toward Lakeway area, but wanted your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 01:13 PM

181 posts, read 156,923 times
There's a difference between street racing, and speeding in a sports car. I remember in the early 2000's there was some street racing up north by the arboretum Best Buy and Connally High School. Nothing spectacular, just car meet ups and some races. There's a pretty good size sports car scene here, but I have yet to hear of organized street racing aside from Wells Branch area that got busted.

As far as people speeding around in sports cars, that's any major city. The 620 area would make sense because it is a higher income area, and a pretty good concentration of high end sports cars. Not to mention Lime Creek road is out that way, which is a favorite of driving enthusiasts. Also, there's a decent amount of car clubs in the area.

On the Sunday morning's that Cars and Coffee is hosted at COTA, you will probably run into packs of cars doing some impromptu racing. Especially on 130.

Still nothing in Austin suggests the level or type of street racing you see in Houston, LA or other major cities. Austin is just not as car centric, and the local issue is typically people driving slower than driving conditions allow. I say that because you can tell the difference when driving into a city like Houston vs driving in to Austin. The flow increases speed upon entering Houston, whereas flow decreases speed upon entering Austin. That's just my anecdotal evidence based on plenty of driving between the two.

I've got an older exotic, and I don't get propositioned too often in Austin for a race unless it's to/from C&C. Typically, I decline since I bought the car for my driving enjoyment, not to race everyone. However, I've had plenty the spirited jaunts during off peak road hours.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:42 PM

12,859 posts, read 13,159,249 times
One Saturday night in 1962 I was busted while drag racing my Dad’s 1961 Impala up South Congress Avenue (decades before some pretentious carpetbagger started calling it “SoCo”).
Cop pulled me over across from the Austin Motel near TSD. We had started down near the Pig Stand drive-in at Live Oak.
IIRC, the ticket cost me about $25. Squirrely high school kids gonna be squirrely. Lol
Back at that time that stretch of the street was almost deserted at night except for the Continental Club (which was a dive joint then).

Old 08-03-2020, 01:51 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,568,881 times
I remember seeing this a while back https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/nor...-street-racers

And this happened in January. Working in the school system, the peson who passed away touched several campuses I worked at. https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...ash-police-say

I'm by no means in the racing world, but recall that Texas is large and it's easy to find a country road to go nuts on. I feel like this may cut down a bit on it in our area. There is also the San Antonio Raceway (that isn't in San Antonio, or even a suburb, it's between SA and Seguin) https://saraceway.com/

With your name having Camaro in it I'm surprised you're asking this question. I thought you'd be an expert.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:52 PM

For a bit of Austin drag racing history, google up the story of August “Hands” Hartkopf, owner of the Austin Speed Shop on Barton Springs Road.
I only saw the dude once at the Paramount Theater before he died in 1967, but he was an Austin icon and big celebrity among the young male generations of the 1950s & 60s in Central Texas.

Take that back, a friend & I visited his speed shop one evening. There were dozens of rave trophies on shelves on at least one wall of the shop. Seems to have been a popular place for high school boys to hang out.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-04-2020, 10:37 AM

*race trophies

Old 08-10-2020, 01:08 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,122,225 times
I have a pretty fast car and don't seem to get challenged much which is fine by me. I'll open it up when there's no traffic around but I'm not interested in 1/4 mi runs on public roads.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:08 PM

There used to be a commercial drag strip up Highway 95 south of Temple at Little River, IIRC.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:55 AM

208 posts, read 196,655 times
I believe Little River still has races. I raced motorcycles there in the early 70s. Scary 1/4 then with a short shut down area. I think it is an 1/8 mile track now.

Street raced my motorcycle on 620 just after coming off 2222. Engine had port work, larger carbs and chambers. Bike as very light and I was about 160 lbs then. I think that bike was the quickest street bike in Austin at the time. I ran everyone with a fast bike and never lost. Street racing was not very smart, but we never raced when there was any other traffic.

I street raced my 65 Mustang in the mid 60s. We ran on W Rundberg Lane. It was out in the country back in the day. Public road with a cattle guard that allowed someone to have cattle on both sides of the road, had to be careful not to hit a cow. But with open headers cows stayed away from road most of the time. Police never bothered us.

We also raced in northeast Austin on a long section of loop when being constructed. The section was closed to traffic. Police would make us leave sometime, but I do not remember anyone getting a citation.

I knew August and his younger 1/2 brother. They both raced all over Texas. August was the E Gas NHRA National Champion in 1961. He ran a 1956 Chevy. August also ran many grudge match races. Fun to watch him race at Little River, San Antonio, and Houston.

Good old memories..

Last edited by Ole Texan; 08-21-2020 at 01:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin