U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 6,591 times

Advertisements

I know many are still in stay at home order and no need to commute to work in the morning. I am just curious on a regular normal weekday morning, how's the traffic from Ranch at Brushy Creek/Walsh Trails area to I-35? I assume people will take Brushy Creek/Sam Bass to I-35. It's mainly a single lane road on both directions. What happen if there is an accident or a car breaking down? I can only imagine it is going to be a nightmare. Or this is not the right route to use? I am working in downtown. Looking for houses in that area, along with Avery Ranch and Behrens Ranch. Which area will have easier traffic to downtown Austin on weekdays morning?

Thanks

Last edited by cdcooker; 08-03-2020 at 06:35 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 06:23 PM

402 posts, read 294,458 times
When I lived in Round Rock in the early 2000s, it was a very nice place. Driving on Sam Bass Road and US 79 was smooth.

Then the transplants kept moving in.

Now it's just another Mopac Freeway.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 1,940 times
From Avery Ranch or Ranch at Brushy CreeK, you are best avoiding I-35 altogether. Depending on what part of downtown you are heading to, I would either take 183 to Mopac, Parmer to Mopac, Parmer to 45 to Mopac (toll), or 183 to I-35 just North of downtown. I-35 is terrible. There is a small toll from the Brushy Creek Rd to 183A entrance, but it saves you about 5 or 6 minutes.

If you do that commute during normal rush hour, it can be brutal. If you can leave work downtown by 4pm, your life will be much better. Leaving in the morning by 6:45am is best as well. Ideally a 7-4 type shift saves you a lot of time in traffic. Check google maps/Waze before you leave and take the appropriate route.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:47 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,455,466 times
Yeah, I'd skip IH35. Most folks from RBC and the area close to Parmer Lane would take Parmer and various routes as you get to the 45 toll road;
HOWEVER, we live south of the "crick"(that alone could save 20 minutes) and I wouldn't want to commute downtown fer nuthin.
That traffic on Sam Bass can back up fully from one red light to the next in "rush hour".

Old 08-04-2020, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 6,591 times
Thanks for all the tips. I commute to the capital area. I have tried the 183/Mopac route during the rush hours. It's as bad as I-35 if not taking the toll road. Looks like Behrens Ranch and nearby 'hoods can be other options, as they're shorter distance from I-35.

For south of the "crick", I assume it is the Avery and Pearson Ranches area. That's 20 minutes of saving? Wow.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 1,940 times
I drove that route on I-35 for years from a subdivision on 1431 that was close to I-35. The problem with the heavy traffic is the semi trucks. I felt much safer on Parmer and 183/Mopac than on I-35. Being part of a 10 car pile up because of an aggressive trucker can really make you dislike a Highway. Luckily, I was the 10th car, the first couple that it plowed into didn’t fare as well as I did. But, I can say during those years, I saw many more accidents and close call accidents on I-35 than I ever saw on Parmer/183/Mopac.

Getting to downtown by 7am and leaving by 4pm is really the best option. It’s just too far and busy of a drive to do during rush hour in my opinion.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:21 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,455,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcooker View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I commute to the capital area. I have tried the 183/Mopac route during the rush hours. It's as bad as I-35 if not taking the toll road. Looks like Behrens Ranch and nearby 'hoods can be other options, as they're shorter distance from I-35.

For south of the "crick", I assume it is the Avery and Pearson Ranches area. That's 20 minutes of saving? Wow.
Downtown, it's the river...up here, it's the crick(Brushy Creek, that is). Being one or two lights north of Brushy Creek heading toward town in the morning can easily add 20 minutes. Avery Ranch and Pearson Place have the advantage of missing a couple of lights, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or