Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM

405 posts, read 394,088 times

Advertisements

And direct it to social services. How do Austinites see this effecting the city going forward? Do you see the city improving? Do you see yourself staying in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 06:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Or maybe they didn’t do anything yet because their meeting isn’t until next week.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:51 PM

Oh I came across an article that implied it was done already and 3 council members voted for it? Idk

Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Anyway, if it passes, how do people on here feel it’ll go for the city? Some of their reasoning makes sense but seems like a drastic, “follow the leader” response just following along with whatever the west coast cities are doing/planning

Old 08-04-2020, 07:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Oh I came across an article that implied it was done already and 3 council members voted for it? Idk
Maybe you can share the link to the article?

Old 08-04-2020, 08:03 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
If they cut out 100 million dollars from the police budget, what exactly does that mean? What all will get cut out? How will it effect the city and the safety of the people? 100 million dollars sounds like a heck of a lot of money to cut from a police budget and not to expect any kind of consequences.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:06 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Nothing has come to past yet. Their last meeting they petitioned to take away atleast $100 million but Budget Changes are not due until next year.

I personally think people are not in their right frames of mind currently with the riots and pandemic, and that this isn't going to go as well as people believe or hope for. I'm personally not for it. Atlanta already attempted this in regards of disbanding several officers and instead of a more peaceful society, crime went through the roof. There were armed civilians performing traffic stops, the looting and rioting continued, and shootings increased to an all time high within a fraction of a month, essentially it became a warzone until Kemp deployed the National Guard. Lets also not forget about Seattle's 'CHOP' zone and the crazy events that ensued there.

I'm neither left or right, I personally do not cater toward either party. I do not like Trump, and I'm not pro Biden, Hillary, Obama either. I see all politicians as the same. They're in it for personal gain and their own agenda.

Will I stay? Where will I go? This stuff is happening in every major city in the country currently. It is what it is I guess.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:03 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Anyway, if it passes, how do people on here feel it’ll go for the city? Some of their reasoning makes sense but seems like a drastic, “follow the leader” response just following along with whatever the west coast cities are doing/planning
6 months ago I could go go to either San Antonio or Austin if I needed something I can only get in person from a huge metro area. In fact, the last time that happened was in early March, and Austin was it. Nowadays? Other than driving through on I35, you won't see me again. Not one penny of my disposable income will land in the CoA.

San Antonio isn't far behind.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:55 AM

295 posts, read 143,424 times
you think crime is bad now? lets see what happens when they send non police out to domestic disturbances and they get blown away! how about the B&E will sore and people will get so pissed their stuff is getting stolen that the guns will come out more and more!

how about the gang bangers shooting and drive bye? yep great idea you leftist commie tools - keeping the citizens safe is the last thing they want - they want the rioters and looters to have a field day - every day - the suburbs will explode with all the people who want to get the hell out and taxes will go up and up and up

Old 08-05-2020, 07:15 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
This will probably happen in Austin given the local and national political climate. There has been a very tense relationship for many years with APD that produced a lot of stalemates, but not the floodgates are open.

Going forward I see wealthy people hiring more private security and insulating themselves; middle income people buying more guns; and low income people in already high crime areas experiencing even more crime since there is less deterrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin